• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What does Abstinence mean to you?

Started by Fluff and Stuff, February 23, 2009, 07:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

I was on the BBC website today and I saw the headline for a story, "Abstinence makes the heart grow?"  I thought that the story was about how not drinking changes the heart.  It turns out the story was about how not having sex is bad ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4662042.stm ) or something.

Anyway, I think that is a bad sign.  Perhaps I have drinking on my mind or something.

AntonLee

Friday

The word "abstinence" makes me think of "voluntarily going without sex".

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on February 23, 2009, 07:46 PM NHFT
Perhaps I have drinking on my mind or something.
You? No!  :o

dalebert

Anyway, I think that is a bad sign.

Not having sex is a bad sign. It could mean that you're sending the wrong signals to potential sex partners.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: dalebert on February 23, 2009, 09:02 PM NHFT
Anyway, I think that is a bad sign.

Not having sex is a bad sign. It could mean that you're sending the wrong signals to potential sex partners.

I think I'm gonna keep sending you the same signals, or lack thereof  ;)

AnarchoJesse

I've always figured that people who are abstinent have some sort of disease they don't want other people catching-- like stupidity.

William

To abstain. Except in the case of sex or alcohol when it means to abstain from abstaining. 

bigmike

Convenient excuse for lack of social skills? Chaffing?

K. Darien Freeheart

Abstinence has meant "not having sex" my entire life. I googled the word to see if it's been used otherwise and the first line of the first result was "Abstinence is not having sex."

I've always heard the terms "temperance" or "sobriety" used to mean "not drinking alcohol".

TackleTheWorld

You bring up alcoholic beverages in conversations regularly, Radical.
I'm just pointing that out, not saying it's weird or evil, just that its noticeable.

Kat Kanning

Oh, when I saw that Lauren had posted on this thread, I thought she was going to say that abstinence meant going without chocolate!   :candy:

cynthia

Anyway, I think that is a bad sign.  Perhaps I have drinking on my mind or something.

you mean a bad sign that you have prioritized your mind as:
1.drinking
2.activism
3.sex

??????

K. Darien Freeheart

Quoteyou mean a bad sign that you have prioritized your mind as:
1.drinking
2.activism
3.sex

Maybe he's just waiting for chance for them all to make a debut at the same show...

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kevin Dean on February 24, 2009, 12:32 PM NHFT
Abstinence has meant "not having sex" my entire life.

So sorry for you.  I'm going on memory now but I remember it was real nice.