• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Brian Travis invaded by bureaucrats

Started by coffeeseven, March 09, 2009, 08:47 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Quote from: bile on March 10, 2009, 08:43 AM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 10, 2009, 08:30 AM NHFT
I wouldn't call it a brilliant idea, but if you're going to do it, I hope you at least spell it right.

We don't want to personally harass them to that degree. I think that will just piss them off. I think more public forms would be better. See if and where they take out ads and purchase anti-ads. Write letters to editors, look for equine forums and see if these people are present or are known, etc. Hurting their reputation and their wallet is better than private text messages and less likely that he will report harassment to authorities.

First of all, the suggestion was toward Steve Sprowl - the instigator of all this, not "them".  Also, if you only send one message, that's not harassment.  A hundred people sending one message each isn't harassment, it's you expressing yourself.

I can assure you Mr. Sprowl is already pissed off.  Too flipping bad.  Perhaps he should stop harassing people.

bile

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on March 10, 2009, 08:46 AM NHFT
First of all, the suggestion was toward Steve Sprowl - the instigator of all this, not "them".  Also, if you only send one message, that's not harassment.  A hundred people sending one message each isn't harassment, it's you expressing yourself.

I can assure you Mr. Sprowl is already pissed off.  Fuck Steve Sprowl.

They will see it as a coordinated effort... especially since they can just look to this thread for evidence. I would rather not see something like what happened to Mikaela. Harassment is a very general and subjective term.

I agree he's pissed off and likely acting on previous events. The best policy is to act in strong, respectful opposition. Texting him to run up his phone bill is petty and amounts to little more than name calling. It doesn't bring us to our goal which is to discredit and shame him.

Like civil disobedience we want to look completely like the victim. Anything which can be considered retaliatory, aggressive or offensive should be avoided.

FTL_Ian

Sending one text message is offensive and aggressive?  Sorry, but no.  Perhaps we should also not be calling him or writing emails?  After all that could be considered offensive and retaliatory.

kellie

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on March 10, 2009, 09:08 AM NHFT
Sending one text message is offensive and aggressive?  Sorry, but no.  Perhaps we should also not be calling him or writing emails?  After all that could be considered offensive and retaliatory.

Depends on the content of the txt message/email.  It helps to be articulate and careful with your words lest you end up sounding like you're foaming at the mouth. 

I think a single word txt in all caps is rather foamy-mouthed.

bile

One?

Quote from: shinokamen
Just imagine several hundred texts a day, all saying "THEIF!"

There aren't several hundred people here so this statement implies more than one per person (and it was said to use txtemnow.com and one's phone) and in total "several hundred." You then mention racking up his phone bill. That's retaliatory. Lets also consider if you did that through email or by phone. Call up and just yell "THIEF!" and hang up or just emails with the same. I may as well call up FTL and yell "SHIT!" on the air because I don't like something you say or do. It is unproductive.

Russell Kanning

The family feeds and cares for these horses. They should not be stolen from them for any reason.
Each of these people made a small decision to side with "the man". I understand why they did it. I do not agree. I do not advocate doing the devil's work.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: kellie on March 10, 2009, 09:23 AM NHFT

Depends on the content of the txt message/email.  It helps to be articulate and careful with your words lest you end up sounding like you're foaming at the mouth. 

I think a single word txt in all caps is rather foamy-mouthed.

Agreed.  I sent, "You should be ashamed."

FTL_Ian

Quote from: bile on March 10, 2009, 09:25 AM NHFT

One?

Quote from: shinokamen
Just imagine several hundred texts a day, all saying "THEIF!"

There aren't several hundred people here so this statement implies more than one per person (and it was said to use txtemnow.com and one's phone) and in total "several hundred." You then mention racking up his phone bill. That's retaliatory. Lets also consider if you did that through email or by phone. Call up and just yell "THIEF!" and hang up or just emails with the same. I may as well call up FTL and yell "SHIT!" on the air because I don't like something you say or do. It is unproductive.

I should point out I thought the idea of sending texts was a good one, not the suggested message.  Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

With that in mind, should we not call Mr. Sprowl's cel phone because he might go over his monthly minutes because we should be concerned with his phone bill? 

Coconut

Calling your representatives is harrassment!!!11!!1 Their phones might not stop ringing!

Anyway. I sent one. I didn't name call, but if anyone did, I won't say he doesn't deserve it.

coffeeseven

Personally I think send anon text messages to his phone may aggravate the man but is it the shortest path to the best possible outcome? If the goal is just to mess with him then yes. I'd rather see us unify to 1. expose him to the public 2. get the horses back as soon as possible.

I just left a message on his business line requesting a callback. I don't anticipate one but worth a shot.

BTW Velma (who's too cheeken to post herself) is a former horse owner. She asks what is the procedure for going over Sprowl's head. Maybe that would be a good tool for us to get behind as a group.

bile

Also, texting is hardly an optimal means to open dialog with him. Can't do much in 160 characters and as you point out many people don't have unlimited txtmsgs as part of their plan. If you want to try to convince him he's wrong use email, phone, letters or approach him at his business and ask for time to talk. If you want to ostracize him use anti-adverts, letters to the editor, talk about his mistakes on FTL, blogs, etc. If you want to back him into a corner call, text, email him yelling "THEIF!"

Russell: We all agree. I'm a former horse owner and empathize with the Travis' immensely. I don't think it's beneficial to the Travis', the free staters or the larger movement to go and "mess with" on a personal level each bureaucrat or State helper who wrongs someone.

Ian: I believe that instead of telling him we need to get him to see that he should be ashamed. Use the Socratic method. Get him to grab the gun. Don't force it into his hand. FTL, FMTV, Gardner, etc. are in great positions to use that technique to your advantage. Invite those who do wrong to provide their side of the story. Be as neutral as possible by being open with your bias and then just ask questions and allow them to show the world they are wrong. Just like the conspiracy guys... allowing statists to explain their positions and reasons does us plenty good without needing to dirty our hands. And if they refuse to participate and you were completely nonthreatening they may not look bad but they surely won't look the victim or good. A case like this, with animals, is highly emotional for people. I grew up in a horse owner community (and owned them myself for many years) and even a rumor of abuse is going to put you on most people's shit list. Ideally our actions would not contribute to that.

As for calling the cell vs sms. You can not answer the phone and receiving calls does not always count toward one's minutes. As far as I'm aware sms is not within one's control.

Coconut: If you called them at home it would be harassment. If you called them at work and yelled "CROOK!" and hung up that would also be harassment. Calling them regarding their "job" is not.

margomaps

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on March 10, 2009, 09:41 AM NHFTAgreed.  I sent, "You should be ashamed."

I'm certainly not looking to condemn you or your chosen method here just for the sake of picking a fight.  I'm honestly just curious to know what you believe your text message will accomplish.  By observing Mr. Sprowl's actions up to this point, several of which are documented on film, I estimate there is no chance whatsoever that he will take your message to heart.  It might make him angry or irritated, or possibly amused or self-satisfied.  Were any of these the outcomes you hoped for when you sent the message?

You experienced justifiable (IMO) anger and indignation over what happened.  I believe the best course of action is to channel that anger into useful activities that further your goals.  By this criterion, you have only succeeded if your goal was to tell someone off or irritate someone.

Again, please don't take this personally.  I love your passion, your willingness to take action against injustice -- even when it might result in discomfort or danger for yourself, and even your radio show.  :)  I just think the old phrase discretion is the better part of valor rings particularly true here.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: bile on March 10, 2009, 10:05 AM NHFT
Russell: We all agree. I'm a former horse owner and empathize with the Travis' immensely. I don't think it's beneficial to the Travis', the free staters or the larger movement to go and "mess with" on a personal level each bureaucrat or State helper who wrongs someone.
That is nice that we agree. What did I post that prompted a response from you?
I have been mostly posting to help bring the thread back to the basic topic.
I think that following Brian's lead in asking the individual thugs questions is a very good path to follow. If he doesn't want certain "help", he will probably let us know.