• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

heavily armed anti-crime protest in future?

Started by Dave Ridley, September 05, 2005, 06:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

OK here is an idea:

Suppose we have another crime similar to the one that happened in Manchester last month.  Basically a gang of teens beat this guy almost to death with a baseball bat in a fairly bad neighborhood.   They'd been looking for someone else to beat up, and that guy went on TV condemning the attack, etc.   Cops eventually made various arrests. 

However, this gave me an idea.   If this were to repeat itself in the future...suppose 2 or 3 of us were to contact the victims in the high crime area, then (if they like the idea) we could show up at their house and stand in front of it with rifles and shotguns, plus maybe some signs that say stuff like "The Doe family is not alone - NHfree.com" or "John Doe has friends" or "please leave john doe alone" ( i like the "please" part best LOL)

What do you guys think of this idea?  We'd need to have quick access to long-guns for this to work, I didn't have such access when this happened but maybe if we plan for it?   Anyone here got guns that would do the trick?

KBCraig

Excellent idea, Lloyd Dave!

I'm a bit far for quick response, though.  :(

But when I'm in-state, that's exactly the kind of thing I'll respond to, along with helping train and arm good people who've been threatened by thugs.

Thugs of every stripe. ;)

Edit: DOH!

Pat McCotter

I was thinking you and Dave were trading places, Lloyd.  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 05, 2005, 06:59 PM NHFT
That was Dave Ridley's post.

Okay, FSP is the bus to get us to New Hampshire.

I'm apparently on the short bus.  ::)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on September 05, 2005, 06:26 PM NHFT
But when I'm in-state, that's exactly the kind of thing I'll respond to, along with helping train and arm good people who've been threatened by thugs.

Thugs of every stripe. ;)

BRILLIANT idea!  :o

We go around teaching concepts of self-defense to victims of crimes to prevent them from becoming victims in the future!  We basically just give out books on self-defense with firearms and point them in the direction of online and brick-and-mortar resources for more info, including firearms training classes like Tony Lekas holds.  Point them in the direction of looking up self-defense laws and other resources.

Awesome idea, Kevin and Dave.   8)

Dave Ridley

Hmm... ok so what are the steps we need to take to get to a point where we could put this together on two days notice?

Lloyd Danforth

What do the victims do when you and your guns go away?  Perhaps a more effective idea would be to call in the media and make a big deal out of presenting the victim with a big fuckuing gun!

president

Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 05, 2005, 06:08 PM NHFT
We'd need to have quick access to long-guns for this to work, I didn't have such access when this happened but maybe if we plan for it?
WTF?

What good are you if you don't have a rifle?

SWilliams

Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 06, 2005, 04:55 AM NHFT
Hmm... ok so what are the steps we need to take to get to a point where we could put this together on two days notice?

well, if you don't want to give out books on firearm safety and training, 2 to 3 page information packets with self defense info, gun info, gun store info, the Second Ammendment, gun resources, etc could be printed up... They could be ready to be handed out at a moment's notice.

Dave Ridley

Another idea (if the victim wanted this) would be to have random times where one of us is just in the house and announce this.

However the idea of publicly presenting someone with a gun to protect themselves, is even better.   Possible liability issues I guess.... but it's legal to give or sell another individual a firearm, correct?  I like the idea of it being a handgun actually since the bad guys would never know when they are carrying...

Dave Ridley

Pres: I am more a handgun guy since it keeps the bad guys guessing.   No one can be everywhere, own everything or do every deed.

But is anyone willing to make a rife or shotgun available for a protest like this?

polyanarch

Quote from: president on September 06, 2005, 08:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on September 05, 2005, 06:08 PM NHFT
We'd need to have quick access to long-guns for this to work, I didn't have such access when this happened but maybe if we plan for it?
WTF?

What good are you if you don't have a rifle?

Everyone should have a rifle -even if it is only an SKS which is a good choice for any beginner or someone on a budget.

For less than $500 you can have a quality rifle, 1000 rounds of ammo to practice with 1000 rounds of ammo to keep in stock and enough gear to haul it all 'round with.

Here is the source:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

1 Yugo SKS -$139.95

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x39.html    

A762x39YS Yugoslavian 7.62x39 FMJ on Stripper Clips Packaged 10rds/stripper clip, 40rds/box, 1,120rds/sealed metal can inside a hinged wooden crate -$138.60 x2 = $277.20

Total for 1 Yugo SKS and 2280 rounds of ammo = $417.15 

If you can find a Curio&Relic FFL holder in your FSP-er community (there are a LOT of them) who can buy the SKS for you then you don't need to order through a normal FFL.  Even then, a good gun shop will do $20 or $25 transfers or you should do business elsewhere.  That puts us at the $450 level.  If you wanted to save some money then just buy one case of ammo and save up for the next one once you shoot it up.  Shoot often and gain skill.  You won't have enough skill until you go through at least 1K in my opinion.

You still have $50 for a rifle sling (I would suggest you buy an '06 Springfield strap as they are hardy, common at gun shows and cheap -probably around $5) and a pouch to hold extra ammo in.  I'd shop Cheaper than Dirt for a deal like this one http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept_id=123608&sku=TRW-133&imgid=&mscssid=E4KUL0NBXLMK8KCVNMVR8W6SP7WS3RL1 for a good pouch that will hold a lot of stripper clips $19.97 

While there, look at some web gear and canteens and such to keep your load balanced and strapped to you.  A couple of canteens, more pouches for other gear and such and you will have all you need to be an armed citizen rifleman. 

Everyone should have this bare minimum of gear.  A pistol is an OK personal defense weapon.  A rifle makes a citizen into a soldier and the people into an army.  Since most people are not armed in such a way the government discounts us as so many sheep.  What a shame.

$500 for a complete starter rifle kit!  (1/3 less if you want to go slower with the ammo at first)

What is your Freedom worth? -priceless!

KBCraig

Quote from: polyanarch on September 08, 2005, 08:14 AM NHFT
If you can find a Curio&Relic FFL holder in your FSP-er community (there are a LOT of them) who can buy the SKS for you then you don't need to order through a normal FFL.

Except that a CRFFL isn't going to risk a felony charge to save you ten or twenty bucks, not if he has a brain in his head.

Being a cruffler myself, I deal with requests like this from time to time, and I have to turn them down. I once bought a 5-fer, intending to keep the best two or three and cull the rest, which is perfectly legit, but I've never ordered anything for anyone else.

Kevin

polyanarch

Quote from: KBCraig on September 08, 2005, 09:39 AM NHFT

Except that a CRFFL isn't going to risk a felony charge to save you ten or twenty bucks, not if he has a brain in his head.

Being a cruffler myself, I deal with requests like this from time to time, and I have to turn them down. I once bought a 5-fer, intending to keep the best two or three and cull the rest, which is perfectly legit, but I've never ordered anything for anyone else.

Kevin

Not having a CRFFL myself I was not aware that reselling a piece here and there was a felony.  The last I knew, private sales between free americans was legal.  That is part of why I never got the CRFFL.  I don't like bending over to the Fed.gov and asking to be analy injected with legal rightousness. 

Forget the part about asking a friend with a CRFFL to order for you. Just go through a normal FFL and pay the $25.  The rest of the info I gave was intended to help get more rifles in the hands of ordinary citizens, neighbors and fellow FSP-ers.  I'm sorry if I offended any straight-and-narrow types with my C&R fantasies.

-Jim

KBCraig

Quote from: polyanarch on September 08, 2005, 09:50 AM NHFT
Not having a CRFFL myself I was not aware that reselling a piece here and there was a felony.

It's not. But ordering something for someone else, using the C&R FFL, constitutes dealing without a license. They frown on that.

The CRFFL is solely for purchasing interstate for your own collection. You're free to sell from your collection, but buying something with no intention of keeping it for your collection, should it ever come to their attention, would probably be turned over to the enforcement side of the house. Enforcement are the good folks who handle things like warrants and indictments, not just records and paperwork.

QuoteForget the part about asking a friend with a CRFFL to order for you. Just go through a normal FFL and pay the $25.

Transfer fees seem to be variable. All of my local shops only charge $10, but I've heard of other regions where it's $25-50 (which is ridiculous). It pays to make a few calls to different shops. One that has cheap transfer fees deserves to get your business for ammo and accessories.

QuoteThe rest of the info I gave was intended to help get more rifles in the hands of ordinary citizens, neighbors and fellow FSP-ers.

And it's good info. The Yugo SKS is a good choice. It's cheap, sturdy, reliable, easily handled, recoil is no problem, and ammo is cheap and plentiful. Plus, it has a big fold-out pigsticker attached.

QuoteI'm sorry if I offended any straight-and-narrow types with my C&R fantasies.

I don't think we have any straight-and-narrow types around here, so there's nobody to offend. The sarcastic implication is a little irritating, though, especially when I'm trying to correct a common misunderstanding of the law.

Kevin