• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Theater of the Oppressed

Started by Kat Kanning, March 11, 2009, 01:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

I was talking to someone at Liberty Forum about PiMP, and he turned me on to the Theatre of the Oppressed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Oppressed

What do you think about morphing PiMP into a sort of Theater of the Oppressed? (I love that name.)  We could do a kind of PiMP thing in public, advertised beforehand, act out government tyranny and how we'd deal with it, and invite the audience to join in with their scenarios and solutions.  Maybe eventually we'd do more costumes and stuff :)

Free libertarian

Yes, theater is good.  I'd consider making a fool of myself as an actor or helping with brainstorming a list of victimless crimes to use as themes for plays/skits.   

Seatbelt "law" , might be a good one to do a skit on.  Focus on how they (the oppressors) have
to hurt you in order to keep you from hurting yourself.  Or a skit on boarding a plane and how much fun that can be... Or on how "they" extort sin taxes, like alcohol, cigarettes and the numbers game, er I mean lottery tickets. Since they now want to tax strip clubs how much longer before they go full blown into pimping and taxing USDA approved prostitutes?  I'm sure the list of potential themes could go on for quite awhile.   

Kat Kanning

Great ideas!

Maybe we need some guys in Tyranny Response Team jackets to help out :)

Lloyd Danforth

As tired as I am of hearing it the ad spot on FTL where the guy invented levitating shoes is a skit that is already written.

Kat Kanning

You mean he has a skit?  What's it about?

David

Guy invents the shoes then goes to get business license, the beaurecrat lady then goes into all the gov't agencies that he will have to get licenses from.  I like the skit.  Well made.  The part about OCEA work rules is classic. 

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Want to do a skit at Free Keene Fest?  What's the biggest hot topic in the state right now?  Anyone want to play the cop oppressors?  The oppressed?

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on March 12, 2009, 07:06 AM NHFT
As tired as I am of hearing it the ad spot on FTL where the guy invented levitating shoes is a skit that is already written.

Freaky: Right as I was reading this post, I as listening to that commercial.

Mike Barskey

The skit sounds like a great idea. It also sounds like it's a combination of skit/performance and improv. Might be tough, probably would be fun.

It would be awesome to have a skit performed at Free Keene Fest!

AntonLee

I played that commercial for a few of my statist friends who got a good laugh out of it.  Sometimes stupid crap can be a bit of a bridge.