• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nashua Open-Carry Litter Pick-Up

Started by Porcupine_in_MA, March 12, 2009, 07:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupine_in_MA

There will be an open-carry litter pick-up in Nashua in protest of the harassment of Tim Farrell by the Nashua PD today.
We will be meeting in front of City Hall at 1pm and fanning out from there. Rich suggested that everyone leave any ID in their cars as a further protest if stopped by any police. Sounds good to me.

timf343

Hi.  I'm Tim Farrell.  I am a previously-active member of the OC movement in Nevada before I dropped off the grid for some rest and relaxation the last couple of months.  I have resurfaced here in New Hampshire, and much to my surprise, harassed the very first time I went OC'ing outside of my neighborhood here in Nashua (I OC walking the dog every night with no problems).  I am cross-posting (in another msg) from my topic on Opencarry.org.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Tim Farrell

Tom Sawyer

timf343

03/12/2009 5:45 PM

Walking from my house in Nashua to Bank of America on Main St I was stopped by Nashua PD who noticed my OC firearm.  He demanded my ID which I informed him I was not carrying.  I explained I did not consent to being detained and asked if I was free to go.  Officer Geoff Raby (email is rabyg@nashuapd.com) stopped me at the corner of Pearl & Temple.

He explained that I was not being detained under suspicion of any crime, but because I was OC.  I replied again that I did not consent to being detained and he indicated that I was not free to go.  Knowing NH has a draconian stop and identify statute, I opted to cooperate as required and provided my name and address (only stating Nashua, not providing my street address).

His backup, Officer N Welch arrived on the scene and watched over me while Mr Raby "ran my info".  Raby came back and informed me he couldn't find me in the system.  I told him that's because I don't have a drivers license....which is why I was WALKING to the bank in 30 degree weather.  I asked him why he was harassing a law abiding citizen.  He explained it would only be harassment if he stopped me again.  I said being held against my will qualifies as harassment in my book.

Responding to his insistence I provide additional information to identify myself to his satisfaction, I furnished my ATM card.  This didn't satisfy him and he proceeded to ask me additional questions.  His partner asked why I had such a bad attitude.  I told him I was cold and I was in a hurry and I didn't appreciate being interrogated for merely walking down the street minding my own business.

After another few minutes, their supervisor appeared, Sgt A Testaverde.  He proceeded to educate me on the law explaining that I did not have the right to remain silent.  He said that I only had the right to remain silent if I were arrested, and that I was only being detained, so I had no such right.  I laughed asking why he thought the 5th amendment applied only to those under arrest and not to all citizens?  His response was that the 5th amendment does not cover my right to remain silent and that the 5th amendment applies only when you're standing in court in front of a judge.

At this point, I was quite irritated and repeated that I did not consent to being detained and asked if I was free to go.  Raby told me I would be free to go once he was done with me and not until.

Sgt Testaverde, agreeing to continue illegally detaining me against my will, instructed his officer Raby to "run him in Mass" hoping to find a hit.  I once again stated I had no driver license.  While Raby ran me a SECOND time, the Sgt lectured me that I was scaring other citizens and that I shouldn't carry "like that".

Raby came back and asked which bank I was going to, in case he got any calls from concerned citizens.  I showed him the Bank of America ATM card again and told him I already answered that question.  He said I was free to go.

On the quarter mile walk to the bank, I was passed three more times by Nashua cruisers.  I entered the ATM area and deposited my checks.  Seeing my firearm, another patron with her daughter managed to get beyond their extreme fear and entered the ATM area behind me.  :)

I walked the mile back home and didn't notice another cruiser the whole way.  That is, until I got to my house, when I saw a cruiser sneaking up very slowly on a side street.  Inside, an officer appeared to be taking photographs of me entering my home.  I ran inside and grabbed my cell phone, where I snapped the attached photos.  They're not very good quality, but they do convey the point.

Overall, a very poorly managed encounter by the Nashua PD and one which has my blood boiling.

Tim

J’raxis 270145

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: timf343 on March 12, 2009, 08:29 PM NHFT

Walking from my house in Nashua to Bank of America on Main St I was stopped by Nashua PD who noticed my OC firearm.  He demanded my ID which I informed him I was not carrying.  I explained I did not consent to being detained and asked if I was free to go.  Officer Geoff Raby (email is rabyg@nashuapd.com) stopped me at the corner of Pearl & Temple.

He explained that I was not being detained under suspicion of any crime, but because I was OC.  I replied again that I did not consent to being detained and he indicated that I was not free to go.  Knowing NH has a draconian stop and identify statute, I opted to cooperate as required and provided my name and address (only stating Nashua, not providing my street address).

His backup, Officer N Welch arrived on the scene and watched over me while Mr Raby "ran my info".  Raby came back and informed me he couldn't find me in the system.  I told him that's because I don't have a drivers license....which is why I was WALKING to the bank in 30 degree weather.  I asked him why he was harassing a law abiding citizen.  He explained it would only be harassment if he stopped me again.  I said being held against my will qualifies as harassment in my book.

Responding to his insistence I provide additional information to identify myself to his satisfaction, I furnished my ATM card.  This didn't satisfy him and he proceeded to ask me additional questions.  His partner asked why I had such a bad attitude.  I told him I was cold and I was in a hurry and I didn't appreciate being interrogated for merely walking down the street minding my own business.

After another few minutes, their supervisor appeared, Sgt A Testaverde.  He proceeded to educate me on the law explaining that I did not have the right to remain silent.  He said that I only had the right to remain silent if I were arrested, and that I was only being detained, so I had no such right.  I laughed asking why he thought the 5th amendment applied only to those under arrest and not to all citizens?  His response was that the 5th amendment does not cover my right to remain silent and that the 5th amendment applies only when you're standing in court in front of a judge.

At this point, I was quite irritated and repeated that I did not consent to being detained and asked if I was free to go.  Raby told me I would be free to go once he was done with me and not until.

Sgt Testaverde, agreeing to continue illegally detaining me against my will, instructed his officer Raby to "run him in Mass" hoping to find a hit.  I once again stated I had no driver license.  While Raby ran me a SECOND time, the Sgt lectured me that I was scaring other citizens and that I shouldn't carry "like that".

Raby came back and asked which bank I was going to, in case he got any calls from concerned citizens.  I showed him the Bank of America ATM card again and told him I already answered that question.  He said I was free to go.

On the quarter mile walk to the bank, I was passed three more times by Nashua cruisers.  I entered the ATM area and deposited my checks.  Seeing my firearm, another patron with her daughter managed to get beyond their extreme fear and entered the ATM area behind me.  :)

I walked the mile back home and didn't notice another cruiser the whole way.  That is, until I got to my house, when I saw a cruiser sneaking up very slowly on a side street.  Inside, an officer appeared to be taking photographs of me entering my home.  I ran inside and grabbed my cell phone, where I snapped the attached photos.  They're not very good quality, but they do convey the point.

Overall, a very poorly managed encounter by the Nashua PD and one which has my blood boiling.

Tim

This is the exact kind of shit that makes open carry litter pick ups even more important in southern NH, MA bedroom communities like Nashua!

doobie

Sunday I could maybe.

Ya know, when I get my AR-pistol.... I wonder what the PDs will think of that?

J’raxis 270145

Now that winter's only a couple months from being over, we should start doing these in Manchester again, too. Plenty of trash under those melting snowpiles.

Porcupine_in_MA

Jeremy did you get a chance to post this to NH Tea Party and that other message board?

J’raxis 270145

doobie

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 12, 2009, 09:27 PM NHFT
Now that winter's only a couple months from being over, we should start doing these in Manchester again, too. Plenty of trash under those melting snowpiles.

Don't forget Concord.... Manchester hasn't been the scene of harassment for a while... Concord, Dover, Portsmouth, and Nashua seem to be bigger areas of concern.

Kat Kanning

Hope you don't mind...I'm putting this in the New Hampshire Free Press.

Kat

Quote from: timf343 on March 12, 2009, 08:29 PM NHFT

Tim

Kat Kanning

This says it's happening "today" but was posted yesterday and is on the calendar for the 15th.  Which is it?

doobie

I think it was meant as yesturday "there was an incident today"

but the event is Sunday March 15th.

Anyone want to carpool from the Manch area?

BTW I'll be dual OCing (S&W500 and Sig239).

Ryan McGuire

Count me in. I live in Nashua, have OC on numerous occasions, but I've never been harassed by the cops.

I'm really glad you guys have organized this.