• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How to host a blog really cheaply, yet maintain control of it.

Started by Ryan McGuire, March 02, 2009, 09:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan McGuire

I thought some of you porcs would like to know about a software project I've been working on. Blogofile is a blog engine that renders completely to static HTML. You can read more about it on the website, but here's what it means to you cheap bastards:

• You can host a blog on ANY webserver, it doesn't have to have CGI, PHP, a database, or anything fancy. This means you can get a webhost for really cheap, or possibly free.
  • Yea, blogger.com is free, wordpress.com is free, but I for one like to be in control of my own life, and my own stuff. So with blogofile you maintain control of your own blog.

So check out Blogofile, be in control of your own site, and save money at the same time.

Bill St. Clair

Cool. I wrote BlogMax a while back, an Emacs-based templating system. Used it for my blog for a few years, before switching to Drupal. Used it again for a while at my imacpr0n.com blog, but haven't touched it in over a year.

If you're looking for inexpensive web hosting to go with your plain-HTML blog, or a MySQL-backed blogging engine, like WordPress or Drupal, I recommend NearlyFreeSpeech.net (NFS). You prepay for exactly the storage and bandwidth you use. Until your blog gets so popular that its bandwidth gets up to a gig a day or so, it really is nearly free. I use it for a bunch of my not-so-popular web sites, but I switched to site5.com for my blog, to save money.