• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Looking for Cheap land

Started by geoff, March 19, 2009, 08:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

I am looking to buy land cheap (max 2 grand/acre) to use as a sort of vacation spot.  My wife isn't sure she wants to move up to NH yet so I want to get some land and put a travel trailer on it (anyone with a travel trailer for <5 grand let me know).  My thought is that by taking her camping/hiking/exploring, which she likes, she will warm up to NH and I can make the move all that much faster.  The max I could pay for the land is between 10 and 20 grand, preferrably on the lower side so I dont have to get an outrageous loan.  I'm looking at anywhere in southern/central NH, between keene and portsmouth, below plymouth.   Any help is appreciated.

AntonLee

Marc Warden is the Porcupine Realtor.  I met him briefly at the HCR6 rally and seems like quite a nice guy.

dalebert

I've seen a couple of 12 acre lots for a little less than $100k. That's more than you want to pay but I thought it was a good deal. It's within a short drive of a city (Keene) so maybe if you're willing to be really rural you can find something in your price range. I think you can find land in Grafton in that price range but you have to buy a large plot to get that price. It gets more expensive to get it chopped up into smaller plots.

doobie

I want land <$100/acre.  But I also want a 1000+ acre property someday.

Fluff and Stuff

I think you need to be more realistic with that you are looking for.  It sounds like you want to camp in NH.  There is no need to buy land to camp in NH (though you can).  Most land may be hiked without any restrictions.  And the best hiking is north of Concord, not south of it. 

You may be able to camp in Grafton for very little this summer: Before, after, or during Burning Porc.

There are campgrounds in NH.  NH isn't like AK, MT, ND and doesn't have endless stretches of worthless land.

dalebert

Yeah, I'm kind of beating around the bush because I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think what you're looking for exists. Land in Grafton is perhaps that cheap but only if you buy a much bigger plot than what you're willing to spend for. In the South part of the state, I doubt you'll find it that cheap anywhere. The real estate market is crashing, which may help some, but probably not that much because I think it's mostly houses being foreclosed on that's creating a glut of supply on the market. I don't think it's affecting land prices as much. We'll see though. Maybe I'm wrong about all of this.

Lloyd Danforth

With the fall in the housing market, acreage people held on to for development will drop in price.

Russell Kanning

you can buy land for less than $20,000 ... you should come and visit us in the Shire and look around some for a good vacation spot.

geoff

I realize it may be a little unrealistic to find the land that cheap, but I have found a few plots that are 15+ acres for 20-30 grand, which is the right price/acre but out of my price range for paying cash.  I don't necessarily want the land just to camp, I wouldn't mind bieng able to have a place to hunt private land, I don't know what that situation is like up there yet, there is more I have to look into with this.  But for the camping my wife is less inclined to go to NH than to find a place in NJ, which is why I feel that the investment would help her along to want to get out of here.  Thanks for the suggestions, I will be up for Porcfest + a few days to try and get everything planned out.

Fluff and Stuff

You can hunt on a ton of the private land in NH, also.  The people really against you hunting on their land have signs posted everywhere.  However, it's still best to ask someone before you hunt on their land.  Get involved with the gun groups or hunting groups you they can give you the best tips.

dalebert

I think NH wants more taxes on land that's not open to the public for use like that. That's why people generally allow it on unused land.

John Edward Mercier

Not specifically. Some properties are too small to meet the Current Use Assessment level of 10 acres... and then would only get another small discount for the Recreational Use.
Woodlot owners tend not to wish to support herds of herbivores as that can result in lower yield over time.
Managing 'browsing' without hunters/etc. can be very costly and not very effective.

Porcupine Realtor

I'll look around and see what I can find for you.
Mark
Porcupine Realtor

geoff

Thanks, I've been meaning to email you from your website but just haven't yet, so I'll do so soon.