• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Car Stealthing Business

Started by toowm, September 08, 2005, 12:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

toowm

I am not mechanically oriented, but I had the following idea for a business: car stealthing. A package deal might be:

• Radar Detector (perhaps hidden in the grill)
  • Radar Jammer
  • Switch to turn of license plate lights
  • Transmitter to turn red light green

I'm pretty sure some of this may be illegal, but you get the idea. We talk about liberty contrasted with fearing the government, but I know I could be pulled over 2/3 of the time because I'm speeding (along with traffic). Even when I'm not, I could be pulled over for weaving or some such nonsense.  I'm not looking for something to allow me to drive in an unsafe way, but something to help remove that constant worry that I could get pulled over.

Anyone who'd like to make a business of this (possible underground)? Anyone who has done some of this?

president

Don't forget the secret compartment for drugs/guns.

Lloyd Danforth

I've often thought that a button operated, spring loaded, flip down  license plate would be a good idea.

polyanarch

Switches to turn off all lights (including brake lights) would be handy in certain circumstances.  Radar detectors can be hidden quite well with only a minimum of effort.  I have mine stuck with velcro to the headliner and fed directly with power via a cable run up into the headliner when I ran the antenna wire for my ham radio antenna.

The radar detector can not be seen from outside the vehicle.  One has to bend down with the door open to see up high enough into the headliner to see it and then there is so much junk (flourescent light, garage door opener, cell-phone holder, etc) next to it that it would take a trained eye to see it up there mounted upside down.  It works just fine up there and upside down.  It is out of the way and no tell-tale cables run to it that tip-off a cop that you have it.  Even in states that allow their use, having one visible is a major strike against you when a cop is deciding to ticket or let off with a warning.  Keep yours hidden.

Transmitters to turn redlights green would not be too hard to do if you had some techie knowledge.  The technology for this might vary from location to location so it would be good only in one geographic area unless you made more than one device...

KBCraig

Radar detectors can be a deciding factor when it comes to tickets, but so far as I know, only Virginia and DC have outlawed them.

Manual control of all lights can be a handy thing when you're in stealth mode, especially a dome light over-ride.

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

Dome light?  Thats the first thing i disable when I get a vehicle!

Pat K

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 08, 2005, 04:10 PM NHFT
Dome light?? Thats the first thing i disable when I get a vehicle!

Why? Are you  doing secret home improvement jobs?

polyanarch

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 08, 2005, 04:10 PM NHFT
Dome light?  Thats the first thing i disable when I get a vehicle!

I like to put one of those 12V flourescent fixtures on the headliner.  They actually produce usable LIGHT when you need them and you can turn them off whenever you want -instead of just when the door is open.  The one I have has a 10W lamp in it and can really make the inside of the vehicle light up like daylight almost when you need to read a map or find something you know is rolling around someplace inside.

Dreepa

Quote from: KBCraig on September 08, 2005, 03:06 PM NHFT
Radar detectors can be a deciding factor when it comes to tickets, but so far as I know, only Virginia and DC have outlawed them.
Kevin

I think that CT has outlawed them as well.

jgmaynard

Stealth technology is not that tough to create. Of course, you would need to re-design the body of the car.

JM

Russell Kanning

Quote from: president on September 08, 2005, 12:21 PM NHFT
Don't forget the secret compartment for drugs/guns.

I thought that was a given.

Kat Kanning

Yeah, the FBI apparently didn't find the secret compartment in our car  ;D

Pat McCotter

CT had a law against owning them even though they could be sold in the state. That law was repealed.

Dreepa

Ah.

And how stupid was that law?

You can't own them but they can be sold here.  What brainchild thought that up.

Lloyd Danforth

The same guy who allows Easy Rider papers to be sold in stores and then busts you for posession of Drug Parafenalia.