• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

purchase a gun?

Started by tomhawk, March 30, 2009, 08:33 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

Quote from: Puke on April 13, 2009, 08:09 PM NHFTMuskets aren't considered firearms right?
You could get a musket.

Or a sword.

For purposes of certain laws, they are not.  For example, the laws regarding sales across state lines.

For other laws, the terms are defined differently.  For example, a "machinegun" is defined to include any device which can make a firearm fire more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger, even if that device would not meet the dictionary definition of "firearm."  In once case, someone use a shoelace to give a trigger enough "spring" to activate itself due to recoil after the first shot.  The Feds defined that shoelace, in and of itself, as a machinegun.

Basically, they can define anything any way they want it, in order to make the laws as confusing and entrapping as possible.  Lawyers are really not much more than highly-paid translators who are fluent in legalese.

I wouldn't assume that any particular state's laws (and caselaw) would exempt muskets from the definition of firearms, for the purpose of the "no possession by prohibited persons" thing...

Joe

margomaps

Quote from: Bill St. Clair on March 30, 2009, 12:11 PM NHFTBuying ammo is easier, in most states. Go into Wally World or your local gun shop, pick the ammo you want, lay down cash, and walk out.

An interesting aside: the only time I've ever had trouble buying ammo was at a Walmart in New Hampshire.  I did not have a NH ID, and the clerk refused to sell me ammo.  Something about "I might be from a state like MA that requires a FOID to buy ammo...we can't be expected to know the laws of all the states".  The guy (who normally worked in the electronics department, not the sporting goods dept) was apparently afraid of doing something illegal, and erred on the side of caution.  After a discussion or two with various store managers, I was assured that I could buy ammo there as long as I was legally old enough to do so and could prove it with some sort of ID card.

The episode was quite annoying, but I haven't had any other problems there since.

sandm000

I don't think I've ever been carded for buying ammo.
Usually at Walmart you have to summon help to sporting goods to unlock the case that holds the ammo.

Pat McCotter

Walmart in Concord only asked if the .38SPL ammo I was buying was for a handgun. That's why I don't buy guns there unless I know exactly what I'm getting.

nemoslaw

I have done some reading about purchasing a gun with a record, and I am inclined to think from what I have read that you cant purchase a gun legally if your crime was a felony or considered a "wobbler" which is a reduced felony, in either case it does not affect my question in the negative.
     I have a Katana sword and an antique sword I bought at a bread and puppet festival years ago,haha. A Gilford cop tried to accuse me of concealing a weapon for having the Katana sword in the trunk of my car, I laughed, it's not even sharp, just a decoration I bought at a pawn shop. I know it sounds bogus but the cop was upset because he smelled patchouli and couldn't find any pot on me or in the car, so I guess it was guilt by association with patchouli, nothing came out of it I was just harassed.