• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Luxim Plasma Light Bulb Kicks Some Serious LED Butt

Started by Pat McCotter, March 30, 2009, 12:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Don't they make 'Tactical' Flashlights for self defense?

MaineShark

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 03, 2009, 06:12 PM NHFTi wasn't looking for new weapons ... are you? ;)

Aside from the lights designed for impact techniques, like those, I'm curious what your thoughts are on light (in general) as a "weapon."

Given your beliefs regarding violence, would you consider it acceptable to use a bright flash to temporarily set an attacker blinking, so you could get away?  On the one hand, it would not be pleasant for that attacker.  On the other hand, it would not cause any injury, and would let you get away without direct contact.

(I'm really quite serious - I wouldn't think twice about it, but now I'm curious whether you, as a near-pacifist, would class that as acceptable or not)

Joe

KBCraig

For one 2-3 year period of my life, I spent a lot of time on the interstate late at night in a family sedan (Chevy Lumina), either hauling kids or coming back from hauling them, at exactly the time of night when over-the-road truckers were aggressively trying to pile on miles. In other words, they were hauling ass.

I have no objection to that (I usually try to make good time, myself), but I really do object to 80,000 pounds riding less than a car length off my rear bumper at 70+ in a one-lane construction zone, when I can't go any faster because of the truck in front of me.

It was such a regular occurrence that I seriously studied how to install multiple high-wattage Xenon strobes set to fire rapidly and randomly in a disorienting pattern at the trucker behind me.

Things changed before I got around to actually doing it, but, yeah: I did consider using bright light as a weapon.