• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

looking for Dover po box

Started by OferNave, March 31, 2009, 10:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

OferNave

Anyone know a place in Dover to get a PO Box (besides the post office)?  The phone number for Mail Boxes Etc has been disconnected.

Ryan McGuire

OferNave

I was hoping to find a smaller company (independent would be best), but I was ready to settle for UPS.  Unfortunately, no UPS with rentable boxes in Dover.  Fortunately, the closest mail box place turned out to be exactly what I wanted an - independent mail center - called Main Street Mailing & Copy in Durham, across the street from UNH.  These types of places seem to be very rare in NH, and Durham is right by Dover, so I'm satisfied.

PowerPenguin

Great choice! This is what you want, anyway. Small establishments tend to be a lot more flexible, often cost less, and are less likely to be found out by/willing to roll over if the thugz come a'knocking.

WithoutAPaddle

I just "Googled" them, and the Google map shows that they are located where the now-defunct Durham Copy was, or, for the benefit of old-timers, where Weeks Restaurant used to be.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=&daddr=54+Main+Street%2C+Durham%2C+NH+03824&hl=en

The liklihood of any such business succeeding in that ghost downtown is about zero, so enjoy it while it is there.  Their Portsmouth location is surely more viable.

FYI, there aren't any candlepin bowling lanes in The MUB anymore, either.  And I never even learned who the "Murphy" was in now closed, "Murphy's Tin Palace".

doobie

Aren't you required by law to provide forms of ID for a non-Post office mailbox; where as a PO box at a post office you don't?

OferNave

Quote from: doobie on June 03, 2009, 09:45 PM NHFT
Aren't you required by law to provide forms of ID for a non-Post office mailbox; where as a PO box at a post office you don't?

It's been two months, but I'm pretty sure I had to show ID.  However, the price can't be beat, and the service is amazing.  Hope they stay in business.

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: OferNave on March 31, 2009, 06:54 PM NHFT...Unfortunately, no UPS with rentable boxes in Dover.  Fortunately, the closest mail box place turned out to be exactly what I wanted an - independent mail center - called Main Street Mailing & Copy in Durham, across the street from UNH....

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on May 03, 2009, 01:10 PM NHFT...The liklihood of any such business succeeding in that ghost downtown is about zero, so enjoy it while it is there.  Their Portsmouth location is surely more viable.

Going, going, gone!!! I drove through downtown Durham yesterday and that address, 54 Main St., is now the site of Mariner Realty.

QuoteFYI, there aren't any candlepin bowling lanes in The MUB anymore, either.
And when my nostalgic journey took me to the Dover Bowl,  I observed that not only has the number of lanes been reduced from 42 to 30, the ten remaining "candlepin" lanes have been modified into amusement games that have no gutters: a ball that would have been a gutter ball bounces of a rail and stays in play.  And judging by the physical condition of the candlepin lane surfaces, they are not being professionally maintained.  There were also just a couple of candlepin leagues, whereas in the early 1970s, all 18 candlepin lanes were reserved for league play every night, usually, for successive leagues.

My late, ex-business partner was what used to be called a "Class 'A'" candlepin bowler.  In 1974, he had a league average of just over 117, which is about a pin a string less than whatever the world champion typically has for a league average, though in fairness to the world, candlepin bowling, even at its zenith, was only available to bowlers in a handful of northeastern states and a couple of Canadian provinces.

In the 1963-1964 bowling year, my father was in a store league and used to take me with him each league nght.  Since his league reserved its lanes by the hour instead of paying for the number of strings or frames bowled, we would get there early and I would be able to bowl a string for free, which was a big deal for me, because we didn't have much money back then.

One night his team was short a man, so it was required to post a "dummy" score of 80 for each of his strings, and they let me bowl in that spot even though my scored wouldn't count.  I was 11 years old at the time, and had an average of about 70, but I opened with the string of my young lifetime, and got to hear the PA announcer proclaim, "Your attention Pleeeeze.  Leeetle Mikie ______ has a just beat his a daddy, 110 to 109."  I followed that with an ordinary score, but marked my last three frames of my last string, and so old man Caras got on the PA again and said, "Your attention, pleeeeze.  Leeetle Mikie ____ has a just beat his a daddy again, 104 to 99." My father stopped taking me bowling after that.

QuoteI never even learned who the "Murphy" was in now closed, "Murphy's Tin Palace"
...and I likely never will, since the sign on that business now ,"Ballard's Restaurant" and it was closed, though that may have been due to spring break.