• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Census Civil Disobedience

Started by bigmike, April 04, 2009, 05:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Check into the laws regarding the census. Unlike dealing with the cops you can be charged with a crime for not talking to the idiot, part-time, census taker.

The new census is a nonstop collection of more data than ever before.

We, will not cooperate. We didn't last time, we won't this time.  :icon_pirat: ;D

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: AntonLee on April 06, 2009, 04:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on April 06, 2009, 11:14 AM NHFT
The Census is no longer a true head count... it uses a statistical basis for its foundation.
So if you don't answer, enough others will that it won't have any effect.

in the case that only one person answers. . .then the government will deem that the number 1 is indeed enough
The federal government really no longer needs the census in that much of the information is in their various databases. Its more of a holdover from a pre-information age system.

doobie

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 06, 2009, 06:42 PM NHFT
Check into the laws regarding the census. Unlike dealing with the cops you can be charged with a crime for not talking to the idiot, part-time, census taker.

I'll have a gate at my driveway, let 'em walk up the driveway to find me not answer the door...

Sam A. Robrin

"But I did talk to him--I said, 'Take that form and shove it . . .' "

bigmike

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on April 06, 2009, 09:48 PM NHFT

"But I did talk to him--I said, 'Take that form and shove it . . .' "

lol

I read through them but it only listed the penalties, not how the penalties are enforced. So I'd assume first comes a letter telling me to pay the fine, then maybe after a certain amount of time passes another letter sent. At what point do they issue a warrant for nonpayment?

Would they really try to enforce it to get the $100 fine from one person, or would a better target be the "unknown" number of residents that live in one of the Porc Manor houses or similar boarding house that rents rooms?

I guess it would depend on the attitude of the conversation between the non-complier and the census taker, as they might feel an emotional let down by someone not respecting their temporary authority.

sandm000

Could you claim that they didn't provide a translator for your native language and you were unable to understand the questions of the census taker.

David

Quote from: antijingoist on April 06, 2009, 10:54 AM NHFT
isnt the census supposed to be anonymous? How can they tell if you did it or not?

I'm guessing you are asking Error, which I cannot answer.  But the census is not completely anonymous, I believe during WW2 they used the census to round up American citizens of Japenese ancestry, to put in concentration camps like Manzanar due to anti Japanese hysteria and racism. 

antijingoist

Quote from: David on April 07, 2009, 09:56 AM NHFT
Quote from: antijingoist on April 06, 2009, 10:54 AM NHFT
isnt the census supposed to be anonymous? How can they tell if you did it or not?

I'm guessing you are asking Error, which I cannot answer.  But the census is not completely anonymous, I believe during WW2 they used the census to round up American citizens of Japenese ancestry, to put in concentration camps like Manzanar due to anti Japanese hysteria and racism. 

Good point, I forgot about that.

Pat McCotter

When I received the American Community Survey three years ago in Concord I got three mailings and then two visits. The first visit we weren't home. The second time, after he identified himself, I said we don't do surveys and closed the door. Never heard from them again.

Tom Sawyer

American Community Survey Makes Me Uncomfortable

The Thought Police and the American Community Survey

The form
Yeah, I trust them not to abuse the information.  ;D
Even, if the census people themselves could be trusted, this data is too juicy not to be grabbed by the spooks. Advertisers are really excited to get this info.
And in the final analysis, I'm from the United States of Kiss My Ass, we are a stubborn and proud people and I will not be forced into interviews interrogations.

Russell Kanning

maybe I have never gotten one of these forms ... I can't remember filling one out before

If I meet one of them maybe I will tell them to put me down in the most politically correct categories and such and then ask how much bailout I am gunna get from the obama.

nemoslaw

I told the census guy, (from England no doubt), to get off my property, and I invoked my right to privacy under the constitution. If you don't want to give them info, don't! There is nothing that they can do.
  Some of them are retired bankers that bitch about people who work under the table, I had the chance to needle one while at work, of course I told her what she was doing is unconstitutional, then she proceeded to tell me she took the job because her retirement does not pay shit! They are automatons out to make a buck, just like every one else.
   How does the personal information they glean affect us? It can be stolen it can be used for identity theft, the women I spoke of had been in a car accident while on the job, her computer could have been stolen with all that personal info, luckily this time it was not.
  She did (the census lady) tell me that a fine of 250,000 would ensue if anyone were to use that info illegally, however by that time the damage is done and your identity is stolen!

Checkpoint

There are quite a few people engaged in Census civil disobedience. One of the primary blogs I've run across addressing this issue can be found at:

http://www.survivalarts.com/archives/001095.html

Additionally, I put together a web page dedicated to the Census Bureau and American Community Survey a few years ago after being harassed by one of the Census Bureau flunkies regarding the ACS.

You can find it at:

https://www.checkpointusa.org/Census/Census.htm

Sam A. Robrin

I knew a highly constitutionalist couple who received the randomly distributed long census form one year.  They just drew a huge "2" on the front of it and sent that back.

Lloyd Danforth