• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

One variation on a common theme

Started by Vitruvian, April 06, 2009, 10:48 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Vitruvian on April 06, 2009, 10:48 PM NHFT
We've all heard that idiotic question: "But who will build the roads?"

I've been told I'm hypocritical if I don't pay or don't want taxes but take advantage of government services or benefits such as roads. Next time I hear that line of logic I'll point out that the roads are not a government benefit, but a government monopoly. If that doesn't end the debate: What if the government claimed the air that we breathe, and then taxed us for the 'privilege' of breathing it? Does that make me a hypocrite if I don't pay taxes and (gasp!) breathe?

Come to think of it, the New World Orderlies are working on creating an international tax (paid to the international banksters) on the carbon cycle (taxes for domestic animals, more than one child per family, etc.), and in some places they're taxing rainfall for those who dare take advantage of cisterns or catch basins. But I digress. Or do I?

John Edward Mercier

Huh?
The common property is a natural state. Its the building and maintenance of roads that is anthropogenic.
The wagon trains didn't have roads per se... just routes over common property.

BillKauffman

QuoteWhat if the government claimed the air that we breathe, and then taxed us for the 'privilege' of breathing it?

What if a private individual or group of private individuals found a way to make air exclusive property? Would that violate your right of self-onwership?

John Edward Mercier

Russell Kanning

John Edward Mercier

Roads in MT must all be public... but many in NH are private. They only become public when the road is transferred from the private party to the public by voluntary agreement... and in usually the public is smart enough to say 'no'. Sometimes NH even has public roads revert to private ownership...

NH used to tax livestock as property... but hasn't for a few decades now.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: violence on July 10, 2009, 08:11 PM NHFT
it is very annoying when people say "wonnn''tttt someeeeeebody plpleeeasseeeee thinnkkkk of the roadsss!!!!" at the notion of elimination of any tax. its like they think all the money stolen from us goes to roads, or even a large percentage of it... its ridiculous.

I don't need a road anyways i have a 4 wheel drive a motorcycle, horse, etc... i'll be fine.

if there was no pavement i would be pretty pissed because i wouldn't be able to drive my vette... but i might just give up the vette for some freedom

So you can go anywhere you need to go without crossing a road somewhere?

violence

Quote from: Pat McCotter on July 11, 2009, 12:08 AM NHFT
it is very annoying when people say "wonnn''tttt someeeeeebody plpleeeasseeeee thinnkkkk of the roadsss!!!!" at the notion of elimination of any tax. its like they think all the money stolen from us goes to roads, or even a large percentage of it... its ridiculous.

I don't need a road anyways i have a 4 wheel drive a motorcycle, horse, etc... i'll be fine.

if there was no pavement i would be pretty pissed because i wouldn't be able to drive my vette... but i might just give up the vette for some freedom

So you can go anywhere you need to go without crossing a road somewhere?

not always but i can go a lot of the places i need to using gravel logging roads.

but if the roads were to deteriorate from lack of maintenance it wouldn't stop me from going where i need to.

John Edward Mercier

And you get the gasoline from where? You get the grain from where?
Transported over what?

Roads have been around since the Roman Empire and before that caravans followed routes that passed over miles and miles of property that was considered common, with only the empires' claiming ownership.

violence

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on July 11, 2009, 03:21 AM NHFT

And you get the gasoline from where? You get the grain from where?
Transported over what?

Roads have been around since the Roman Empire and before that caravans followed routes that passed over miles and miles of property that was considered common, with only the empires' claiming ownership.

i really don't understand the point of your post.

are you saying if the "government" didn't control the creation of roads i wouldn't be able to get gas, or "grain"?

are you agreeing with me? what?

violence

in all reality, without government being in total control of roads, it would end up being a lot cheaper to have pavement put down, since the unlimited amounts of stolen cash, and phony "prevailing wage" and all the other bullshit that drives up the cost of everything in government.

John Edward Mercier

My point is simple. You need either roads or another transportation alternative.
To move the gasoline and grain here is going to take some transportation format... which one I don't know. But currently its roads.

The point that various people are trying to make is that privatizing roads either to a single monopoly, or a whole bunch of individuals... would still create costs. The might not be the same costs... but there will be costs.
Like when you use that gravel logging road... if the landowner says 'no'. That ends, that. While a common property exercised as such... you have the right to travel.
Its doubtful the road would become impassable, because people wishing to travel over it would act on their own... in their own best interest... to maintain a rudiment level of access.

The trucks/trains/whatever that bring the gasoline and oats would simply add it to their costs...
the way they add transportation cost today.

cynthia

Roads? Ugh, how common... I thought we'd all be up in the air in our flying cars.

John Edward Mercier

Like George Jetson, or James Bond?