• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Children's" books against authority

Started by Vitruvian, April 09, 2009, 02:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitruvian

In remembering the books I read when I was younger, I began to notice that many of them were strongly anti-authoritarian.  At the time I first read them, I did not perceive that message explicitly: because of my youth and inexperience, I had not yet framed the question of "liberty versus authority."  I cannot help but think, however, that these authors and their books were together a major factor in nudging me toward a libertarian mindset.

The books I can remember:

The Giver, by Lois Lowry
Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry
His Dark Materials, trilogy by Philip Pullman
Jayhawker, by Patricia Beatty
Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes
Danny, the Champion of the World, by Roald Dahl
Little House on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by Mildred D. Taylor

Does anyone know of others?

AntonLee

no but I want to write/draw one for young children

KBCraig

There was one posted on the Underground some time back (couple of years or more), but I can't remember the title.

dalebert

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the rest of the Harry Potter books to some extent. More on that here.

Kat Kanning

Princess Navina Visits Voluntaria
the Uncle Eric books

Kat Kanning

Sam A. Robrin

Daniel Pinkwater's The Big Orange Splot.  And quite a few others by him.

Vitruvian

The books mentioned so far seem to be fairly new (with the exception of Heinlein).  What books, if any, might have influenced your younger self?

AntonLee

James and the Giant Peach and the Communist Manifesto.

what a long strange trip its been

Moebius Tripp

HDT was a big influence on my early childhood.  :-\  Ok, so I am a geek that gets mistaken for a biker.

freeman4liberty

I read "The butter battle" (Dr. Seuss) as an adult and as a kid. 

When I read it as an adult I was blown away at the parallel between the story and the cold war.  The book wasn't really from a liberty outlook, but it was pro peace.

dalebert

Quote from: Vitruvian on April 09, 2009, 09:08 PM NHFT
The books mentioned so far seem to be fairly new (with the exception of Heinlein).  What books, if any, might have influenced your younger self?

I did read a book in grammar school about aliens that took over the Earth and enslaved the human race but I think my libertarianism is genetic. It's that ongoing old nature vs. nurture argument. :) There was also this relatively brief period in my young adulthood during which some weirdo tried to take advantage of me and convince me I was an angel so he could have sex with me. He didn't get far and I think I've had a finely-tuned bullshit sensor ever since. Come to think of it, my bullshit sensor must not have been too bad at the time since he didn't get very far. It was the second time someone was trying to convince me of something that seemed to be in direct contradiction to actual reality. The first time was my church. Later, I discovered that guy had a little harem of young confused and conflicted men living with him in a big house in Florida. Based on the kinds of B.S. he tried feeding me, I suspect he was doing a good job of keeping them confused and conflicted.

freeman4liberty

Hey me too.  I think I have a predisposition to be skeptical, and against authority. 

EthanLeeVita

A long slow evolution with many varied perspectives as a child, but I did read The Giver and Johnny Tremain. I read, and still love, the Kent Family Chronicles. Massive books larger than any pathetic Harry Potter. :P And much more educational. (Sorry, HP was just never my thing) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kent_Family_Chronicles

I really recommend them. I think a large part of my evolution was just being raised independently since I often had to take care of myself as a kid.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on May 21, 2009, 09:47 AM NHFT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kent_Family_Chronicles

Oh, I read a bunch of those when I was in high school.  Good books!  Hadn't thought about that in many years.