• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Armed defense?

Started by Kat Kanning, April 08, 2009, 12:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Are you planning on shooting government workers?  Is that what you're trying to communicate with this?

Note:  this discussion started from a proposed Molon Labe bumper sticker.

J’raxis 270145

Molôn labe is Greek for "come and take them." It's merely a rather eloquent way of saying "I'll defend myself if you attempt to steal my property."

leetninja

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 08, 2009, 12:14 PM NHFT
Are you planning on shooting government workers?  Is that what you're trying to communicate with this?

sorry but what the fuck?!  where did you even get that from?!

leetninja

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on April 08, 2009, 01:33 PM NHFT
Molôn labe is Greek for "come and take them." It's merely a rather eloquent way of saying "I'll defend myself if you attempt to steal my property."

The Greek phrase Molon labe! meaning "Come and take them!", is a classical expression of defiance reported by Plutarch in response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

Kat Kanning

What was the molon labe book about?

leetninja

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 08, 2009, 02:02 PM NHFT
What was the molon labe book about?

I havent read it, nor did it have anything to do with the sticker, or the classical expression.  I would be willing to imagine that is it NOT about ...
Quote... planning on shooting government workers?  Is that what you're trying to communicate with this?

Kat Kanning

Oh, I was thinking of the Unintended Consequences book.  What does that mean, anyway?  Come and get them?  Doesn't it mean you're going to shoot someone who comes to get your guns?  How is what I asked a "WTF" situation?

leetninja

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 08, 2009, 02:18 PM NHFT
Oh, I was thinking of the Unintended Consequences book.  What does that mean, anyway?  Come and get them?  Doesn't it mean you're going to shoot someone who comes to get your guns?  How is what I asked a "WTF" situation?

The Greek phrase Molon labe! meaning "Come and take them!", is a classical expression of defiance reported by Plutarch in response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

The WTF came in because it was rather random for you to think that and also because i didnt want people to get the wrong idea about me, the stickers, or my intent.  I'm not pissed or anything but it was a genuine wtf lol

Kat Kanning

But what you're saying doesn't contradict my question.  I looked up what "over my dead body" is supposed to mean (cause it means to me 'willing to do violence') and the dictionary said "if you say that something will happen over your dead body, you mean that you will do everything you can to prevent it".  If you don't actually mean to say that you're going to shoot whoever comes for your gun, I'd suggest a different motto.

J’raxis 270145

Going from a willingness to defend oneself to "planning on shooting <anyone>" is a stretch.

Kat Kanning

If you say beforehand that you're willing to defend yourself with a gun, how is that not planning on shooting someone?  I guess I'm just dense here, because you guys are making no sense to me.  If you're going to shoot policemen who come for your guns, why not put that on the bumper sticker?  Why try to hide it in cute little greek phrases?

shyfrog

This is the kind of questioning I would expect to come from a statist, fed, or other government thug in an attempt to make the right to keep and bear arms look like an extremist nut-job view. Molon Labe is an expression of the right to defend ones life.

AntonLee

I would also infer that the phrase is a statement that provides a choice to those who wish to steal guns or whatever from the person who displays it.  The choice is either to:

1) violate the property rights of the person in an attempt to commit theft of a person's belongings and while doing so open themselves up to righteous protection initiatives by the victim

OR

2)  Mind your own business, Don't Steal, Stay Away, Do the Right thing.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: shyfrog on April 08, 2009, 03:47 PM NHFT
This is the kind of questioning I would expect to come from a statist, fed, or other government thug in an attempt to make the right to keep and bear arms look like an extremist nut-job view. Molon Labe is an expression of the right to defend ones life.

Defending one's life from the government, you mean?  Because they're the ones who "come and take them."  So you'd be shooting cops or US soldiers - they'd be the ones to come and take your guns. 

You guys throw around phrases like molon labe without really thinking about what you're saying.  "Over my dead body" and "from my cold dead hands" are other examples.  I'm just pointing out what you're saying actually means:  "if the government comes to take away my guns I will shoot them."  I have no interest in making you look like a whack job.  You guys are the ones saying these things.  I'm guessing you don't really mean it.  Do you?  If you don't mean it, why do you say it?  If you do mean it, why do you all seem to be upset by my questions?

leetninja

Quote from: shyfrog on April 08, 2009, 03:47 PM NHFT

+1