• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Church seized for not incorporating

Started by coffeeseven, April 19, 2009, 08:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunga

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on April 22, 2009, 08:45 AM NHFT
They were slaves to the belief in the Roman coins... a likeness, value, and standard set by Caesar.

Nice try.
No J Ed. The point was ownership of the self. Do you have it exclusively or do you rent space in your soul from some government entity?

John Edward Mercier

No, the point was you can't use a quote from Jesus that supports payment of taxes as a means to refute.

Tunga

What belongs to Caesar? A portion of your labor? What portion? Your a slave or a free man? Jesus advocated freedom from slavery.

You have it backwards.

How much of your soul belongs to the government J Ed?

Why can't you answer that?  >:D

antijingoist

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on April 23, 2009, 03:22 AM NHFT
No, the point was you can't use a quote from Jesus that supports payment of taxes as a means to refute.

no, you can't use a quote where Jesus does not answer the question as a means to endorse payment of taxes. I still have not found a satisfactory explanation on how that passage is Jesus' endorsement of paying all taxes.

The only time I can find an endorsement to pay is the passage where Jesus sends Peter to get the tax money out of the mouth of a fish. In there Jesus pays the tax only to avoid conflict, not because God said "thou shalt pay tyrannical taxes."

John Edward Mercier

And what makes you believe that Jesus sought to avoid controversy?

He separated the material world from that of faith.
Faith does not reside in temple nor church.

nemoslaw

" Give onto Ceaser what is Ceasers" I interpert this as, that which is of the world is the worlds, and that which is of heaven is heavens. Meaning if I don't pay my taxes God doesn't give a shit, but the world (ceaser) might, umm am I forgetting the 11th amendment to the 10 commandments Thou Shalt Pay Taxes. Evading ones taxes and saying it's God's will is like saying the devil made me do it, substitute God in for your purpose. If they were true followers of Jesus they would give up their worldly possesions, church buildings and live in a yurt.

Tunga

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on April 24, 2009, 01:13 PM NHFT

Since you claim he supported the payment of "ones taxes" then the government would have no reason to crucify him.

Unless the percentage he advocated differed somehow with what the taxman said it should be?

For example J Ed probably pays the IRS 30 % of his "income" as it is defined by the 16th Amendment. That means he is 70% free and 30% slave.

Jesus must have been off a little in his math right J Ed?

coffeeseven

Quote from: nemoslaw on April 25, 2009, 04:04 AM NHFT
" Give onto Ceaser what is Ceasers" I interpert this as, that which is of the world is the worlds, and that which is of heaven is heavens. Meaning if I don't pay my taxes God doesn't give a shit, but the world (ceaser) might, umm am I forgetting the 11th amendment to the 10 commandments Thou Shalt Pay Taxes. Evading ones taxes and saying it's God's will is like saying the devil made me do it, substitute God in for your purpose. If they were true followers of Jesus they would give up their worldly possesions, church buildings and live in a yurt.

Can't find fault with any of that.

John Edward Mercier

Jesus wasn't crucified for non-payment, or even the suggestion of non-payment of taxes...
Remember 'Render unto Caesar...'

He was crucified because his non-violent, anti-capitalistic message was a threat to the status quo of the time.

Tunga

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on April 26, 2009, 07:56 AM NHFT
Jesus wasn't crucified for non-payment, or even the suggestion of non-payment of taxes...
Remember 'Render unto Caesar...'

He was crucified because his non-violent, anti-capitalistic message was a threat to the status quo of the time.

"I am the sword"- Jesus

"You are full of shit" - Tunga

Moebius Tripp

Quote from: antijingoist on April 23, 2009, 03:32 PM NHFT
The only time I can find an endorsement to pay is the passage where Jesus sends Peter to get the tax money out of the mouth of a fish. In there Jesus pays the tax only to avoid conflict, not because God said "thou shalt pay tyrannical taxes."

And, it's a clever joke.  The fish symbolizes man, and is enticed into swallowing something that doesn't nourish him.  Caesar's gold is the bait that catches man, to his destruction.

John Edward Mercier

You might want to reference that entire paragraph...
And the parables of its meaning.

Your equating 'non-violent' with the harmonizing influence of 'peace'. Jesus was explaining to the Disciples that it is not his intent to bring peaceful harmony to mankind... but a moral division.

nemoslaw

Well said Moebius Tripp, money is indeed the route of all evil ]:> but it's nice to have!

antijingoist

Quote from: nemoslaw on April 27, 2009, 07:09 AM NHFT
Well said Moebius Tripp, money is indeed the route of all evil ]:> but it's nice to have!

The love of money is the the root of all evil.  Money is just a tool.

I am not saying that Jesus said to not pay taxes, all I am saying is that Jesus did not say you had to pay taxes. Depending on your goals/ministry, it may benefit you to pay taxes; just like paying some thugs to leave you alone. A bribe.
Also, depending on your goals/ministry, it may benefit you to _not_ pay taxes. That is between the individual and God.

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on April 24, 2009, 01:13 PM NHFT
Not in general, but in that situation. And I believe that because He said, "Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee."