• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Pros and cons of publishing my SSN# all over the web.

Started by thinkliberty, May 02, 2009, 10:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkliberty

I am thinking about publishing my social security number all over the place online, if more people did this would it stop being used as an ID number to be tracked by the government.

What would be some of the pros and cons of doing this?

Is it a good idea?

thinkliberty

Pros:

If enough people did it the government would no longer be able to track people with it, it would not be valuable as a form of ID. (It was not suppose to be used in this way, but now it is)

I am pissed that I have to bail out crooked banks that rate people based on their social security number. If enough people published their SSN then banks would not have a credit market based on your government assigned number. It's a way I can punish banks, because congress won't.

I might tie this in to a tea party like protest. where everyone posts their SSN online. As a way for people to tell the government to stop.

bigmike

When people question why I don't give my SSN I tell them I have a moral objection to the inventorying of human flesh. The looks I get in response are priceless. (I stole that line)

nossn.com has some tips for living without "the mark of the beast". I think most of the info there is pre-Patriot Act. Also, try googleing Kingdom of Heaven. Those will give you some ideas but use diligence.

As far as broadcasting your SSN for all to see, do what you gotta do. Identity theft, in my opinion, is an over exaggerated scare tactic.

I saw the author of Spychips, Katherine Albrecht, give congressional testimony that the RFID embedded code in the new Enhanced Drivers License (formerly known as REAL ID) is the equivalent of people walking around with their SSN on their shirt for all to see.

That said, they have (or soon will have) a new way to track you regardless of your using your SSN.

Here in Michigan the EDL is voluntary for now (you can still request a regular drivers license) but I suspect within the next few years it will become mandatory to have one if you wish to cross a border, fly on a plane, or enter a federal building including the post office. Getting a phone or internet in your name is also a possibility that you'll be required to provide this new number, but that's just me speculating.

Who are you, where are you going, who are you talking to? I have nothing to hide but it scares me to think why someone would want to know.

I would suggest trying to live without both ID and your SSN just to see if you can. I have for years. It's not always easy, maybe I should say it's not always convenient.

Tips:

1-Use regulars. By regulars I mean friends and family. Check in your name? Endorse it, have a friend/family member deposit it in their account, wait for it to clear. My friends in the banking biz have told me that while they do in fact keep a database of thumbprints, it's only the thumbprints given to them voluntarily by account holders and check cashers that voluntarily provide one. I'm pretty sure you can't even open an account without providing a print nor cash a check at a bank you are not a member of. But endorsing a check to some other account keeps you out of the loop.

2-Need money not from check? Western Union. No ID required for transactions under $750. All you need is the answer to the "secret question". The sender will, however, be required to provide ID as well as the secret question itself. My business clients pay me this way and I send them the "tax bonus" quarterly to offset their increased taxes. You will, however, need to give a good explanation to whomever is sending you money why you're doing things this way. That can be uncomfortable with an acquaintance, not so much for a trusted friend.

3-Communication. If you are that afraid to talk on your phone you've got bigger issues to worry about than this advise: homeless people and throwaway phones. Although I don't use this tactic myself, I trust it more than encrypted email. Homeless people set up great shell companies, bank accounts and phone lines. Just do them a favor by not putting them in jeopardy by your actions. This comes from advise from a P.I. I know that also tracks bail jumpers here in "the D". This takes the conversation from keeping your privacy to hiding something.

There are some other tips I wouldn't share here but my main concern is this: if you're using this information to hide income to avoid paying taxes there is a charge the terrocrats use called structuring. These tips fall under that category. Use them with caution.

NJLiberty

When did they start requiring thumbprints to open bank accounts? I've opened three over the past three years at three different banks and wasn't printed at any of them.

If you publish it all over the internet, how would that stop them from using your number to track you? Or simply coming up with some other means of tracking you?

I have no problems with the banks issuing, or denying, credit based on the previous contracts one has voluntarily entered into and either fulfilled or defaulted on. Those transactions are part of your reputation as a person. Prior to the credit bureaus you had to fill out lists of current and prior accounts and references for verification in order to obtain credit. How is that really any different than the current system, aside from the fact that you can now apply and receive a timely answer, instead of having to wait days and weeks while the lender did their research on you in the past?

I do have a problem with this information being made readily available to unsolicited people who want to offer me credit, being used by auto insurance companies to determine rates (unless someone can show me a strong correlation between paying your credit cards and driving skills), being used by employers to screen job applicants, etc, because it has no bearing there. The banks are welcome to collect whatever information they require in order to determine whether I am a good candidate for them to invest money in. I would want the same sort of information if I were in their position. The fact that they gave money to people who didn't warrant loans, either through an inability to pay them back, or a history of non-payment, is a whole other subject.

George

Free libertarian

I was recently asked to provide a thumb print by the Bank of America in Rochester to cash a check from one of their account holders to me.  I let them know I wasn't going to, spoke to the  manager who tried to convince me it was for my own protection etc.  After letting them know I would no longer accept checks from their bank, I left.  So unless you give them some flesh BOA ain't cashing their own checks.

While I was there a woman without an account at BOA was trying to cash a $10 check drawn on BOA, if I over heard correctly BOA wanted $4 to process the check, leaving her with $6. She complained (loudly) she needed all of the money for gas and asked how they could take $4 for a fee to cash a check.   I wanted to give her $4 (partially to be a nice guy and partially to piss off the BOA people) but she stormed out before I could untangle myself from the managers cubicle and get to her.   Yeah I know it's a private company and all, but I'm not impressed with BOA or their policies. 

Concerning posting your SSN #, I probably wouldn't do it. If you can successfully render the SSN #  used as an I.D. practice  obsolete that would make alot of people happy. 

dalebert

Quote from: Free libertarian on May 03, 2009, 07:17 AM NHFTYeah I know it's a private company and all, but I'm not impressed with BOA or their policies.

BoA a private company? Are you kidding me? You gotta be fucking kidding me! I realize there is some degree of entanglement with government that is nearly unavoidable with any business but I'd be hard pressed to imagine any business or bank that's more entangled than BoA!

Free libertarian

Quote from: dalebert on May 03, 2009, 07:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on May 03, 2009, 07:17 AM NHFTYeah I know it's a private company and all, but I'm not impressed with BOA or their policies.

BoA a private company? Are you kidding me? You gotta be fucking kidding me! I realize there is some degree of entanglement with government that is nearly unavoidable with any business but I'd be hard pressed to imagine any business or bank that's more entangled than BoA!

Good point.     

MTPorcupine3

Remember, it's not your Slave Surveillance Number. It belongs to the SSA. I haven't used one since January 2002. It makes life interesting.

Coconut

If you don't have a lot of money, go for it.

As for me, with hordes of FRNs sitting around  ;)  I'll keep it private

doobie

If you never will need to get a credit card, mortgage, car loan, or other loan from a bank that uses a SSN for identity or determining your risk, I say go for it. 

Keyser Soce

Quote from: thinkliberty on May 02, 2009, 10:27 PM NHFT
I am thinking about publishing my social security number all over the place online, if more people did this would it stop being used as an ID number to be tracked by the government.

What would be some of the pros and cons of doing this?

Is it a good idea?

I love it. Where are you going to start publishing it? It may not be worth much without the rest of the identity. Perhaps scanning a birth certificate along with it would help.

Lloyd Danforth

bigmike

you can fly without ID if you choose your words carefully. what would they do to an "american citizen" flying in from some spring break resort that had their ID stolen? a good excuse gets you through quicker, as they rush you to the front of the line.

stand your ground and try to defeat the supremes when they've said you have no right to travel freely without ID and you'll be forced to show it...you're screwed. lie for privacy. tell the TSA you lost it, planning ahead ask the airline their policy when you buy the ticket.

I've flown without ID once in the "US". Twice I've taken the train from Detroit to Chicago and once back the other way without ID. Greyhound has a no ID option, for now. I'll use the bus when I come there. No hassle.

doobie

532-13-5241 OMG! I just posted someone's SSN.

562-74-2532 OMG! And another!

Anyone have a story of refusing to give a SSN to get a loan, mortgage, or a job and have a story on how they were successful...

Lloyd Danforth

Thanks.  I got some business to do today.  I can use that SSN #