• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rick Stanley needs help in gun case

Started by Kat Kanning, May 09, 2009, 04:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Received this letter:

Dear Kat and Russ,

The two of you are long standing activists for liberty, and you know of my imprisonment.  I'm writing to ask a huge favor of each of you and any liberty activists you might be able to contact easily and quickly.  My parole hearing is coming up in June.  If I can get support letters from family, friends, and concerned liberty activists, perhaps the parole board could be swayed to grant me a discretionary parole.  I have no large contact list here in prison, a bit of a tough nut.  My imprisonment would end 4 years early and my 3 year mandatory parole would begin, if I can muster some serious support, through letters.  I could go home to live and work, which my wife, Pam and my family desperately need my presence.

Could you write a letter to the Colorado Parole Board in regard to:  Richard Stanley #137125 asking for an early discretionary parole on my behalf?  Could you contact other activists as well on behalf to do so?  You could copy off this letter to accommodate that end.  If so on either account, mail letters to:

Pam Stanley
6280 E. 39th Ave.
Denver, CO 80207

as soon as possible.  Pam is compiling the letters and must get them to my case manager by the end of May, early June for inclusion in my parole file for my June parole hearing.  Possible things to discuss:  my 34 year work history and self-employed business owner of Stanley Fastener & Shop Supply, good long term community and church standing, a strong and capable loving wife, children who have grown up to become responsible adults through my parenting, grandchildren, extended family who support me through difficult circumstances, that I would not re-offend in the future, and that I have no history of violence.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, I could harm no other.  As a Libertarian and Constitutional activist for liberty, I have shown a long history of community service for the rights of Americans at great expense to myself.  Rebuilding family ties and our company are my goals, leading to a happy retirement.  These are the topics that they will look favorably upon in my behalf if you expound upon them.   The more support on my behalf, the greater the chances are of early parole.  Any longer, endangers my marriage, family, business, our future, especially in today's times of economic uncertainty.  We are still hanging in there.  The pieces are there to pick up and build upon.  Please support me.  I certainly need your help.  God bless and keep your family.

Love in Christ – In Liberty
Rick Stanley

About Rick Stanley
Protesting a Denver ordinance against bearing arms, business owner and Libertarian U.S. Senate candidate Rick Stanley late last year strapped on a hip holster bearing a .380 Beretta (fellow protester Duncan Philp chose a shoulder rig) during a Dec. 15 rally celebrating the 210th anniversary of the Bill of Rights.

He'd advertised what he was going to do and invited Denver police to come get him. They did. He was peacefully arrested by 18 officers, and brought to trial on May 15 in the municipal court of Judge Robert L. Patterson.

It was defense attorney Paul Grant's voir dire questioning of a potential juror who was also a police officer that gave the first indication of the way things were going to go in Judge Patterson's courtroom.

"I asked her when you became a police officer didn't you take an oath to protect and defend the constitutions of the United States and the state of Colorado. She said, 'I guess I did; I can't remember.' I asked her were you ever instructed in those constitutional rights, and she said no.

"Then I asked her, if the judge were to instruct you that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees the defendant a right to keep and bear arms, do you think you could follow his instructions?"

Stanley describes "pandemonium" erupting in the Denver courtroom halfway through his attorney's question, the city attorney leaping to his feet to object as the judge banged his gavel.

Dismissing the prospective jurors for lunch, Judge Patterson began to lecture Grant, instructing him, according to both Grant's recollection and Stanley's, "I already sent you an order in this case. The order has been mailed to your offices. You are not to mention the Constitution during this proceeding. Do you understand?"

Grant replied that he did not.

Read the article

http://rickstanley.blogspot.com/
http://www.stanley2002.org/

Dave Ridley's Silent Protest for Rick Stanley

Fluff and Stuff

Thanks for posting this Kat.  It's truly sad that some people try acts of civil disobedience in the US without a larger network of people to back them up such as some of the anti-war groups or NH liberty lovers.  Please folks, if you know anyone considering doing an act of CD, make sure you encourage them to get connected on NH Free or move to NH first.  Freedom lovers should be wasting away in jail.

I really don't have a clue on how to go about doing this.  If anyone writes a letter, please post it here so I can write something similar.

TackleTheWorld

To Whom It May Concern,

Rick Stanley has shown he is a strong and peaceful reformer.  He deserves to walk free again.  He works to improve his community with his heart, mind and body not only for himself but also for future inhabitants that had nothing to do with creating the current problems. Even more noble, Rick Stanley seeks to improve his city and state and country for those who created and enforce current injustices. 
A free Rick Stanley would serve to make Colorado a more peaceful state in three ways:  His suggestions could more easily be heard to improve the current state, his person could more easily be presented for public approval or disapproval, and his body will no longer be locked away thereby fomenting resentment and fear in all political reformers, wise advisors, and level-headed activists.
An imprisoned Rick Stanley would serve to drive the rational and gentle into hiding, while providing fuel for the frustrated and desperate to act in violent ways.
The release of Rick Stanley and all non-violent people from state captivity could not help but populate the state with non-violent people.

Lauren Canario

grasshopper

I think you hit the "why he is in there" question, to try to incite violence by peacefull people.
  My name is Ed Stanley, so I sympathise with my blood.  God bless you Rick! 

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

After I had Rick on my radio show and gave attention to his situation (which is an outrage), he later in 2007 wrote me an email to chastise me for suggesting toting guns at the Ed Brown house might increase your odds of getting shot during a raid.  It was during a little on-air/blog spat with a gun-polishing buddy of his, Fran Tully.  Rick wrote in part,
QuoteI pronounce the winner to be....Fran by a knockout.  Sorry Ian, you just got outclassed here, by a superior argument, the real deal, a real 2d Amendment defender and supporter without "reservations".  C'mon Ian, take it like a man.  You got your wimpy argument, kicked by a real man's man argument, by a real man's man.  Love this stuff.

This year he wrote a letter to the NH Free Press attacking me for not having "real convictions" and staying in jail for 93 days over the couch situation. 

I used to respect Rick Stanley, but it's clear he's not interested in my help anymore.  He has no tact, and is not interested in appreciating activism that doesn't meet his specs.  As such, he will get no active support from me.

FTL_Ian

I'd like to make clear I will do nothing to harm Rick, and hope he gets out of jail.  I will simply do nothing to assist him. 

I find it interesting that he chastised me for exiting jail early, and now he is doing the same thing, plus promising to not re-offend.  What happened to your "convictions", Rick?

Oh, I guess being with family is a pretty important thing, and perhaps Rick has decided he can do more for liberty on the outside at this point.  I know how it is, Rick.  Guess we aren't so different after all.

Kat Kanning