• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nonviolent Means – Education

Started by Kat Kanning, May 10, 2009, 04:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

I hear libertarians so often say that their goal is to educate people.  I share this goal of disseminating the ideas of liberty.  The way I've chosen to do that is to print the New Hampshire Free Press.  There are certainly other effective means of doing this – The Ridley Report and Free Talk Live come to mind, being active in New Hampshire.  The New Hampshire Free Press fills a different niche.  I reach out to the people on the street, ones who are not necessarily "wired" in our modern world.  A lot of people like to have something physical to hold on to, it makes the ideas more real for them.  The paper currently is distributed to stores all around Southern NH, from Plymouth to Manchester to Keene.  It is delivered to colleges in an attempt to capture young minds.  It may be the only anarchist newspaper in the country.

I also think I am the only person doing FSP type outreach to the prisons.  The paper goes out to prisons around NH and to at least 20 other prisons around the country.  Whenever I hear of a political prisoner, I track down his (or her) address in prison and send him a free subscription.  Any time a prisoner ask me, I also send him a free subscription.  Each newspaper gets passed all around the prison.  In the past month or so, I've had two political prisoners write to tell me they want to join us when they get out.  These are the people who, other than those killed, have been most brutalized by government.  Often, they don't even realize how laws like drug prohibition are wrong.  The New Hampshire Free Press gives them much needed information and ideas. 

Gandhi also ran a newspaper disseminating the ideas of nonviolence, and informing people about activism.  He quickly found that the business community was not able to stick their necks out to support such radical ideas with their advertising.  So he switched to operating on donations.  This we have also done.  Unfortunately, the major funding that has kept the paper going these past three years has run out.  I'm looking at only being able to print once every two months unless I get some more donations.  So I'm asking you, let me help you reach your goal of educating people about libertarian ideas.  If you can help, please visit our donations page:
http://www.newhampshirefreepress.com/subscriptions.html

If we are to fight a nonviolent revolution, one of the main avenues of activism must include getting our ideas out, giving people a chance to think about how a society based on non initiation of force could exist.  Often people have not even considered that such a society is possible.  We can show the ideas in action through our activism.  The paper lets people know about what we're doing, because we know the mainstream media does not want to cover these things.

I'd like to thank our current supporters for their courage and generosity in making sure the New Hampshire Free Press keeps happening:

FreeKeene.com
Jason Osborne/Sakal CAI
Paul Ott
Jacob Halbrooks
Mike Barskey
Phil Denisch
Jeremy Furbish

I'd also like to thank people who have been helping with their content, people like Dale Everett who produces the wonderful comic Anarchy in Your Head, the Free Keene bloggers, Jim Dodson with his Spines comic strip, and many more authors who generously allow me to print their articles.  Without these people, the paper just wouldn't happen!

Russell Kanning

Dave Ridley

to what extent do you also need help with distribution?
where to folks go to learn about that, if they have labor to donate but not money?

tracysaboe

How much money do you need a month for a monthly paper?

Tracy

Kat Kanning

It costs $450/month for printing, then maybe $40 in gas delivering, around $20/month in postage.

Mark D. Jacobsen

Kat, I would like to help with this. Does your newspaper have a website? Are you looking for content? If so, do you prefer content about anarchy? Currently I live in Wa. state, and will be moving in to NH next Spring. Thank you.
Mark