• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

BMW introduces new diesel technology - Demo night in Stratham

Started by jaqeboy, May 19, 2009, 10:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Yeah, I know, BMW-driving doesn't seem to be a self-sufficiency thang, but for you diesel fans out there:

Dana Sion, the secretary of the BMW club of New Hampshire invites you to attend a presentation of BMW's new diesel engine technology - A Diesel Demo Night. A factory representative will give a presentation, show you the details of their new diesel technology on one of the cars, even put it up on the lift to show you all the tubes and gizmos. They apparently have some new technology utilizing a reagent (secret process) to make the diesel burn smoke-free. Here's the details:

6 PM
Thursday, 21 May 2009
BMW of Stratham (Ira BMW)
71 Portsmouth Avenue
Stratham, New-Hampshire
tel: 866-225-5472
(I believe a dinner is included)
directions: http://www.irabmw.com/Directions.aspx

RSVP, Dana Sion:

a couple of us in Henniker plan to drive over and could pick up someone in Concord or Manchester in the 5PM time frame

jaqeboy

Yeah, Dana mentioned something about that. Doesn't know the exact compound, tho.

jaqeboy

jaqeboy

Here's the online flyer for the Diesel Demo night:

http://www.irabmw.com/NewSpecialsCoupons.aspx

Hey, 20% off on parts and accessories for all attenders - I'm going to stock up!  ;D

BillKauffman

When oh when is someone going to make a diesel-hybrid-pluggin that runs on bio-diesel, charges a battery and can plug into a solar panel???

jaqeboy

Sounds like you ARE the idea man!! Talk to the brand manager from BMW that's coming over Thursday and pitch it to him! They've got the capital and staff to develop it! You want to ride over together?

BillKauffman

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 19, 2009, 11:04 AM NHFT
Sounds like you ARE the idea man!! Talk to the brand manager from BMW that's coming over Thursday and pitch it to him! They've got the capital and staff to develop it! You want to ride over together?

Can't...got my kids that night.

jaqeboy

It'd be an educational experience - show them how Dad will save the environment by getting a brand new diesel BMW!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: BillKauffman on May 19, 2009, 10:32 AM NHFT
When oh when is someone going to make a diesel-hybrid-pluggin that runs on bio-diesel, charges a battery and can plug into a solar panel???

So you want a plug-in and an onboard battery charger? Sounds counter-productive but, I'm not a naysayer. ;)

BillKauffman

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 20, 2009, 03:11 AM NHFT
Quote from: BillKauffman on May 19, 2009, 10:32 AM NHFT

So you want a plug-in and an onboard battery charger? Sounds counter-productive but, I'm not a naysayer. ;)

I don't think the onboard can give enough charge to go really far distances...

Prius has added a plug-in option this year.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/01/prius-plug-in.html
excerpt:

The additional batteries help out in part by increasing the storage capacity for electricity generated through regenerative braking, which all hybrids do. For example, if you use a lot of juice climbing a hill you can gain more of it back when you coast or brake your way back down. In current hybrids, once the battery is full, any additional braking represents wasted energy.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: BillKauffman on May 20, 2009, 11:25 AM NHFT
The additional batteries help out in part by increasing the storage capacity for electricity generated through regenerative braking, which all hybrids do. For example, if you use a lot of juice climbing a hill you can gain more of it back when you coast or brake your way back down. In current hybrids, once the battery is full, any additional braking represents wasted energy.

But coasting down a hill should be giving you energy - from gravity - to assist up the next hill. If you use gravity to recharge then you will just use that energy to get up the hill. Sounds like a push to me.

To get back on topic, Jack, why do you do this when I can't make it there?!?!? And I won't accept the excuse that BMW just started selling these cars. ;D

jaqeboy

Pat, I'm sure the guy is on tour to the BMW dealerships - I bet we could find out when he'll be at one near you. You could call Dana to ask him - he might know. I was going to see him today, but I just missed him. I'll email him and ask.

Pat McCotter

Thanks, Jack. I'll even let the veg oil folks here in on the secret. >:D ;D Let me know!