• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

BMW introduces new diesel technology - Demo night in Stratham

Started by jaqeboy, May 19, 2009, 10:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Well, I don't think it'll run on veg oil, Pat...

It needs the ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel and "AdBlue", BMW's formulation of urea as "Diesel Exhaust Fluid". The DEF is injected upstream from the catalytic converter. The DEF tank is 6 or 7 liters and is refilled the same time as the oil change, which they stated to be every 11,000 miles (normal driving conditions - more often for mountain driving or for lead foots). It is flushed out and replaced, since it's organic. That tank is pressurized and I think he said it can't be filled by the consumer. Not sure, though, because he did say that he expected the DEF to be available in auto parts stores soon.

I didn't know this, but the European BMW fleet (as of a couple of years ago) is 67% diesel, so the technology isn't really new, just new in the US. They're offering it on their 3 series car and on the X5 "SUV". He said that diesels have a hard-sell in the US, because of the M-B 240/300 cars, since they were noisy, smelled and smoked (Yeah, sorry, Pat, but we've been dissed). I drove the X5 and it was sweet - I got on the "gas" once and was up to 80 halfway down the on-ramp! And, it didn't sound like a clackety Mercedes diesel  ;D.