• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lets make 'I will record!' happen before Sam D gets out of jail

Started by thinkliberty, May 21, 2009, 08:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkliberty

Quote from: NH Native on May 30, 2009, 12:14 PM NHFT
I can probably put down a bass track a little later.  What's the chord progression?

Am, D, G, C, F, Bm7b5, E

(Those are the chords I've always use to cover I will survive on guitar (around the campfire and at jams.) We could move those up or down a semitone depending on who is singing it to match their voice. Or just pitch shift their voice to match those chords, which ever everyone thinks sounds better. )

We should wait for vocals so we can get the rhythm right (It's almost there, but not quite right), to record it for real....  I am waiting on Sam A Robrin or anyone else for those.. :)

If you could figure out a fat bass line to that general beat we would be one step closer :)

Sam A. Robrin

What's the procedure for recording?  I'm always the one belting it out as we march around the jail, I might as well be the one to sing this version.  Caveat auditor.

thinkliberty

I think we should have a metronome or drum track to keep everyone in sync... use headphones to listen to the metronome while you sing it so you stay in time... (I wish I did this on my first take of your kangaroo court song.) later we will use the bpm you pick to do the drums.

You can use this free metronome http://www.metronomeonline.com/ just click the # on the dial and that is the bpm...

We can digitally massage the vocals, so it does not have to be perfect, just kind of close...  we are not pros and we are not making money on it so keep it fun, we'll all figure out how to do it together. :) 

To make it sound really good we should have 3 takes of the same vocals (it makes editing weak parts or a noisy breath out and we can add the 3 tracks together in some parts for extra punch.) After you get a take you are kind of happy with just listen to it with headphones and sing along with it 2 more times.

We don't have to do it that way.. I am open to ideas and flexible on everything. 

Sam A. Robrin

thinkliberty

The unfortunate part is I can't get together to do it with anyone... due to a recent bone marrow transplant. I wish I could jam together in person, I miss it.

Maybe we could use http://www.jamglue.com, it's free,  but I am open to any other suggestion.

I could also just record the guitar part and email wav files to whoever. If another guitar player wants to do it that would be fine too, I just want to be able to hear 'I will record.' I think would be cool if Sam D could hear it when he gets out of jail.

Sam A. Robrin

" I think would be cool if Sam D could hear it when he gets out of jail."

And help us make the YouTube video.

Okay, I signed up for JamGlue, and tested the recording device, which picked up a lot of room noise.  Any advice for diffusing that? 
How soon before you can receive visitors?  And is there anything I can do in the meantime to make that any easier?

thinkliberty

Do what you can to turn off fans/ac etc, then leave at least 10 seconds of silence at the start and end of the recording with just the room noise. I have software that will remove a lot of room noise by listening to those 10 second samples. (we will remove the extra silence when we mix everything together.)

I am not sure when I will be able to have visitors... 2 more months, maybe? then I can go around people that don't feel like they are coming down with anything and have not been around any sick people recently.

NH Native

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.nickswoodart.com/musicmedia/IWillRecord.mp3

When I volunteered to put bass parts to the song, I had forgot that I haven't played a real
bass line in over six months.  So mind the timing issues.

Hopefully it isn't ripping off cake too much. :)

If you want me to put down bass tracks for the whole song, I'll need the full drum track. 

I have some recording gear if you want me to record the song.

thinkliberty

Yeah that is really good! Better than I could do on a bass.

I don't have vocals for it yet and everything needs to sync with that. (My rhythm is not quite right for the vocals.)

I need to hear the vocal timing to figure out how to put everything else together. Hopefully your bass line will motivate someone to do the vocals :)

We are really close!

If a real drummer wanted to record drums that would be cool too. (real drums sound better than the computer ones I used.)  If anyone plays the spoons I think it would sounds really cool on this song, we could use those instead of drums.