• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cool!

Started by Lloyd Danforth, May 22, 2009, 09:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/05/21/ap6452157.html

New Hampshire House passes border sales tax bill
Associated Press, 05.21.09, 11:28 AM EDT

The New Hampshire House has passed a bill intending to protect retailers from becoming tax collectors for other states.

The bill, which had passed the Senate, bars retailers from sharing sales information with out-of-state tax collectors. It was filed in response to action in Massachusetts revenue agents took against a Connecticut-based tire store chain that has stores in New Hampshire.
Article Controls
zz

Massachusetts attempted to collect $108,000 in "use" taxes from Town Fair Tire for sales it made to Massachusetts customers at its New Hampshire stores.

New Hampshire does not have a general sales tax, a selling point it uses to attract out-of-state retail dollars.

The House had amended the bill, so now it returns to the Senate for final action before heading to the governor.

Fluff and Stuff

The bill as it is written is designed to punish retailers if they do something a state government tells them they will be punished if they don't do.  So while this bill restricts freedom, as long as it is never enforced, it is a feel good bill which may discourage other states from harming business which are located in NH.

AntonLee

it's unfortunate the wise assholes in the statehouse couldn't write it so that the punished ones would be their counterparts in the other state.

I recently gave my business to Town Fair Tire, and when they asked me what brought me in, I told them that I lived in MA and that I think it was bullshit to try and snare taxes from you from another state.  They told me that a lot of people have said the same thing and they appreciated the business.

Massachusetts has always been sticking its nose into NH trying to get "their" money.  They don't really like the NH advantage.  Massachusetts, in the end, decided to raise their sales tax and send all of their citizens running to the NH border for their things.  Who wouldn't want to pay 6% less on everything but food?

sounds like a good idea to start buying things in NH and selling them on the down low in MA.  I know someone who has plans to do a liquor, cigarette, and general item run from the border to Worcester.

Puke

6% less on everything but prepared food you mean.
Groceries are sales tax free. Just restataunt stuff is 8% thefted.

AntonLee

yes that's totally what I meant. . . I should have been more specific.  Massholes:  Do your shopping over the border, and use that money in MA to fatten up with some Wendy's.

Puke

Quote from: AntonLee on May 23, 2009, 10:12 AM NHFT
yes that's totally what I meant. . . I should have been more specific.  Massholes:  Do your shopping over the border, and use that money in MA to fatten up with some Wendy's.

Just thought I'd clear it up a bit.