• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bullet Resistant Glazing/Glass cover?

Started by tracysaboe, April 28, 2009, 01:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

Is there any sort of bullet Resistant glazing or material that could be put over the top of current windows to make them more bullet resistant?

Just wondering. We're pretty safe in gun toting South Dakota -- but just curious.

Recently we had a house fire -- and we had thick superinsulated, double pained, argon glass windows. The reason they blew out in the kitchen was because the Argon got too hot and they burst.

Anyway, they're installing the same quality (actually better -- they're actually thicker then what was their before) My guess is that because the glass is so thick it's probably bullet resistant to some exent already.

But I also know that most bullet Resistant glass has layers of plastic in it too.

So I was just curious (thinking of senarios here -- just listening the Calente on the Lew Rockwell Podcast who was suggesting that bulletproof glass, gun ownership and other private security measures would be good things to invest in.) if there was a way to upgrade/add to curent glass with-out replacing it to make it more bullet proof.

I would say -- relatively speaking -- that the security of our house quite a bit better then any in the neighborhood -- and it'll be better after the house is done getting rebuilt (all new doors, new high-end locks, etc.) so I'm really not concerned. This is more idle curiosity.

Tracy

Tracy

JJ

Certain bullet resistant glass is usually made with the same techniques are your car windshield.  Multiply layers of glass with a thin layer of plastic between each.  The bond is created through heat and compression.  It is this combination of the two that yield a more resilient pane.  Just having a thick piece of non-tempered glass is not enough as glass is very brittle once shocked by blunt trauma.   

Of course I could be talking out of my ass and not know a damn thing about glass.   :-\

Recumbent ReCycler

Polycarbonate is often used as a bullet resistant material.  It's both very strong and shatter resistant.  Many "bullet proof" glass manufacturers layer polycarbonate and glass for the best effect.  I would recommend using polycarbonate as a storm window.  Another way that you could make your home more secure is to make working shutters that are made of something very durable and that can be locked from the inside.  Higher quality motorcycle windscreens are made of polycarbonate.  Lexan is a popular brand name polycarbonate, but there are others that are just as good, but usually less expensive.

tracysaboe

Thanks Guys.

So I should ad polycarbonite storm windows on the outside of my double pained argon filled windows if I want a bit of bulletproofing as well.

Tracy

tracysaboe

neggy

unless you are going to put steel plates in the walls it matters not what you do to the windows.

Polycarbonate in bullet RESISTANT form is going to be too thick to function as a double pane window.

it also clouds up, can not be cleaned with most household cleaners, etc.

If  the double paned Argon filled glass blew out from heat, you had other issues besides broken windows I bet, and any FD responding to a fire like that is going to blow out the windows and ventilate the roof anyway.

and Polycarbonate sheets large enough to be used as window material will bankrupt you trust me.

EthanLeeVita

Lining your car interior(inside doors) with phone books works just as well for most ordinary bullets. There are exceptions, but I highly doubt you will be looking to be shot at by armor-piercing or exploding bullets.

ByronB

I know someone who was looking into purchasing a large quantity of bullet proof glass from overseas and had to look into the manufacturing processes to avoid getting ripped off... pretty much everything people have said so far I can confirm, it is VERY expensive, it has multiple layers of glass and plastic of some type (polycarbonate being the better of them), it still isn't bullet proof, it is VERY heavy, about the thinnest you can buy that is even decently bullet-resistant is 3/4" thick, and it is very difficult to cut I believe the only sure way is to use a water saw.

tracysaboe

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on June 12, 2009, 09:57 AM NHFT
Lining your car interior(inside doors) with phone books works just as well for most ordinary bullets. There are exceptions, but I highly doubt you will be looking to be shot at by armor-piercing or exploding bullets.

Did you learn that from Burn Notice LOL

Tracy

EthanLeeVita

tracysaboe

IT's a show on USA. Kind of a Modern McGiver. An NSA agent who's been burned, and so now he does free lance vigilante work. Kind of like the A-Team. One episode they bullet proofed a car by stuffing telephone books in the side walls.

Tracy

EthanLeeVita

Oh, I remember it. I love it. I don't know why I didn't remember it. And I've only seen season one and a few random shows in season two. I've been too busy hitchhiking across the country. What season is it in now?

tracysaboe

Season 3 just started a couple thursdays ago.

Tracy

EthanLeeVita

Well, when I get home, I'm torrenting seasons 2 (and what I missed of 3). Gah! I'm turning into a TV addict again. :s