• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ivy arrested 2009.06.04, approx. 19:45

Started by MTPorcupine3, June 04, 2009, 07:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

LordBaltimore

Quote from: lastlady on June 11, 2009, 11:57 AM NHFT
Taking a child into police custody is traumatizing to say the least. Horrible for any liberty loving peeps to approve of that.

According to an earlier thread, the child was taken by the grandparents, and Bill is trying to use the system to get him back, which may be tricky, considering he eschewed the system when it came to the marriage.

I'm confused.  Doesn't Ivy have two children???

lastlady

Quote from: LordBaltimore on June 11, 2009, 12:07 PM NHFT
Taking a child into police custody is traumatizing to say the least. Horrible for any liberty loving peeps to approve of that.

According to an earlier thread, the child was taken by the grandparents, and Bill is trying to use the system to get him back, which may be tricky, considering he eschewed the system when it came to the marriage.

Oh well I am mistaken then. I believe Ivy has a daughter who I think is around 11 years old, I think she lives with her father and has visitation with Ivy.

ny2nh

Quote from: LordBaltimore on June 11, 2009, 12:07 PM NHFT

Ivy has Peter who I believe is 3 and Caroline who is probably around 7 now. From what I recall, Caroline lived with Ivy and Rob for a while - and then the father ended up with custody of her.

According to Jeremy's info, Ivy's parents took custody of Peter, not the police, so it was hardly traumatizing for him. I don;t see why it is bad for me to think that Peter is better off with his family in RI where he has his own bed, etc. vs. living in the basement of the restaurant with Bill - who admittedly is having a hard time juggling the business, court docs/hearings and running the restaurant.

ny2nh

I rather not pay to house Ivy in prison. She is not a threat and has not harmed anyone. Whatever monies she has taken from the State I would rather see her give back voluntarily than be locked up. Or I would rather just not pay to keep a non violent person in a cage.

How does locking Ivy up for a month or two help or aid anyone?

Does the alleged crime fit the punishment?

I guess I would agree with you - that not justice to the taxpayers of Rhode Island is served by locking Ivy up. Those taxpayers would be better off if restitution was made - or better yet if Ivy had not defrauded them in the first place. Remember, while she is charged with defrauding the state, ultimately it is the tax[payers money that was stolen. I know as a taxpayer I don't want my money stolen.

So - if there was no punishment, what would stop everyone from committing fraud? She likely knew she was not reporting income that would have effected her eligibility of benefits - yet she did it anyway. After moving to NH and obtaining  a job and childcare, she could have offered to pay back the benefits she obtained fraudulently - she did not. Eventually it all caught up with her and what sounds on the surface like an easy solution (restitution) - how do we know that 1. she will follow through on any restitution arrangement since she has repeatedly failed to appear both here in NH and RI, and 2. ow does that protect the taxpayers from avoiding further fraud situations.

It would be nice to think that we should have no punishment for any non-violent crimes and that people will just do the right thing.....but if they had just done the right thing in the first place, then they wouldn't find themselves in jail anyway. We don't live in a utopian world, we live in reality where people do make bad decisions whether intentionally or not.

People do change. I just don't see that with Ivy. I might just be because of my interactions with her and her interactions with good friends of mine, but I see the same exact person that I met a couple of years ago. Her surroundings have changed, the rest of the players may have changed, but she's still the same old Sharon.

violence

_mikey_

Quote from: ny2nh on June 11, 2009, 12:52 PM NHFT
charged with defrauding the state, ultimately it is the taxpayers money that was stolen. I know as a taxpayer I don't want my money stolen.
This is just plain silly. The state took it, it's gone, it's not your money anymore!

When Tony Soprano drops a grand or three and you pick it up, wouldn't you be mightily surprised if ordinary victims of his protection racket, tortures & extortion came running after you yelling "Stop defrauding the great man!"

I'd say that's masochistic at best.

KBCraig

Quote from: ny2nh on June 11, 2009, 12:52 PM NHFT
I know as a taxpayer I don't want my money stolen.

As a taxpayer, your money is already stolen.

Silent_Bob

lastlady

that's great! wow three free staters released within days of each other. I like it a lot!  :D

MaineShark

Quote from: KBCraig on June 11, 2009, 01:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on June 11, 2009, 12:52 PM NHFTI know as a taxpayer I don't want my money stolen.
As a taxpayer, your money is already stolen.

That's okay.  She got schools for other folks' kids, and a dog park.  It's okay to take tax money for those purposes.  Not for feeding kids, though - feeding kids is a bad thing to use tax money for!

(welfare offends me, but blatant hypocrisy offends me more)

Joe

TackleTheWorld

thinkliberty

Yay! Those psychopaths have released another one of their hostages!

Atlas

So, is there a trial coming up or is she in the clear for good?

MaineShark

Quote from: Atlas on June 11, 2009, 04:39 PM NHFTSo, is there a trial coming up or is she in the clear for good?

According to the Porc411 call, she's out on $500 bail, so that would mean there's still at least one trial coming up (I'm presuming the call would have mentioned if any of the charges were dropped, so I would assume that all charges are still pending).

Joe