• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FEDERAL RAID ON DERRY FLEA MARKET

Started by ....., June 06, 2009, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunga

All glass blowers must register with the FBI.

Someone might use their product for illicit purposes.

Have to protect you from yourself ya see.

Safety first.

thinkliberty

A lot of the old people at the flea market could not sell their stuff, they claimed it was because of new people selling Chinese handbag knockoffs.

They complained to the cops that no one wanted to buy their junk and the owner turn their back on them by letting people sell fake name brand goods. It was all played out on craigslist rants and raves. A lot of the complainers were racist and said mean things about where the new people in the flea market came from.

I guess it's because they were tired of seeing people buy things from the new people, while no one was buying the old people's cheap junk.

John Edward Mercier

You can't promote a product as being endorsed or manufactured by another group without its consent.
Because the 'goods' travelled across State lines, it became interstate commerce (federal).

Ogre

We can't have people engaging in voluntary transactions because the government doesn't like that. All transactions between subjects of the government shall be only made when, where, and how government says, and only with government permission and approval. Otherwise people might get ripped off by paying "too much" or "too little" for something.

John Edward Mercier

I'm quite sure the customers are aware that Louis Vuitton doesn't sell at flea markets.
Its more that Louis didn't consent to the use of his reputation to sell the product.
So Louis is being defrauded, not the customer.

AntonLee

those are decent knockoffs too. . my girlfriend is happy as a clam with hers.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on June 07, 2009, 06:52 AM NHFT
You can't promote a product as being endorsed or manufactured by another group without its consent.

Indeed, I don't believe in "intellectual property," but in addition to violating those nonsense laws, this is also fraud.

thinkliberty

Quote from: Kristie on June 07, 2009, 05:46 PM NHFT
This makes me curious, for those of you who frequent flea markets:

Do the sellers actually try to pass them off as LV, Prada, Chanel, whatever, or are they labeled "designer imitation" or some such?

Because this makes me wonder A)  If they are not actually using someone's brand name, trademark, etc, what's the problem? and B)  Are people actually naive enough to say "Wow, a Chanel handbag for $10.  What a deal!!!"

Most people think it's a cheap handbag that looks expensive,the only people who think (or pretend) it's real are government officials.  They do it so they can get the cheap handbags for free, by stealing physical goods for imaginary reasons.

Pat K

No No No you got it all wrong this was a round up of
illegal Mexican Fleas , they were just trying to
protect American Fleas jobs.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on June 07, 2009, 05:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on June 07, 2009, 06:52 AM NHFT

Indeed, I don't believe in "intellectual property," but in addition to violating those nonsense laws, this is also fraud.
Not intellectual property... reputation.
I could make an exact duplicate of the product minus the label, or with my own label... and it would not be a crime.
Intellectual property would be the design of the bag itself... which likely would be civil, not criminal.

Atlas

People definitely know that unless you're shopping at Macy's and spending over $700 for a handbag, you're not getting the real deal. This type of knock-off stuff goes on all over the country, but the feds decide to get their rocks off in Derry on the account of some whining curmugeons. 2 thumbs down, at least cut people a break during a recession.

Atlas

Quote from: Kristie on June 08, 2009, 12:12 AM NHFT
+1 for the use of the word "curmudgeon."
I knew I spelled it wrong, gosh.