• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ridley trial 4 videotaping. June 22 (calendar entry)

Started by Dave Ridley, June 06, 2009, 02:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I think that's the right date, stay tuned.

Background and continuing discussion:

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=17123.0

Dave Ridley

verified...in the absence of schedule changes my trial is same time as david's...

1:30 pm
June 22
Keene district court
3 washington street in downtown Keene

I could use someone to videotape it, will not try to play cameraman and defendant at the same time.

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

Sam A. Robrin

I want to get there early--like maybe noon--for a little show of support.  I can walk, but my signs will need transportation, if anybody has some of that . . .

djbridgeland

Per Porc 411, his disorderly conduct charge was dropped,  but it was changed to contempt of court.  The judge found him guilty and sentenced him to 6 days in jail.  He would not accept Dave's suggestion of community service. Apparently Dave is going to report to the Cheshire County jail in 2 weeks to serve his sentence.

Russell Kanning

he can break rocks in jail

oops he might escape that way

Kat Kanning

http://newhampshirefreepress.com/node/451

Fight for Freedom of the Press Continues

By Kat Kanning

Dave Ridley continues his fight for freedom of the press in Keene.  He was tried in Keene on June 22nd for filming in the Keene District Court lobby.  Public trials are a hallmark of a free society; secret trials a hallmark of tyranny.  Dave Ridley, an ex-mainstream media reporter, now runs an independent news stream, The Ridley Report, via YouTube.

Supporters rallied outside the courthouse before the trial, carrying signs such as "We Will Record".  While waiting in the lobby for the trial to start, I noted that court security officers were equipped with fancy ear pieces such as the Secret Service use, which seemed excessive for such a tiny courtroom.  I asked court security officer G. Raposa how much the Secret Service getup cost the taxpayers, to which he responded, "No idea."  So I asked, "So you don't have to worry about how much this stuff costs?" But he just shrugged me off again and said, "No idea."  Supporters soon began streaming into the courthouse lobby.  While waiting to go through security, supporter Dan Stewart was threatened with arrest for filming in the lobby.  People filming at Andrew Carroll's recent trial were allowed to film out in the lobby and in the courtroom.  Court officials can't seem to make up their minds whether filming will be allowed or not.  Perhaps there is a coin toss every morning to decide – to film or not to film.

Once in the courtroom, before the trial started, Ridley chatted with prosecutor Chris Mclaughlin about victimless crimes.  Dave asked him what percentage of the cases he prosecuted were victimless crimes, but Mclaughlin said that he didn't know.  So Ridley asked him how he felt about prosecuting those victimless crimes.  Mclaughlin answered that he was fine with it, but became visibly uncomfortable with the conversation when he realized he was being recorded and would be on record.

During the trial, Dave Ridley made no attempt to defend himself from the charges.  When handed the unsigned court order saying that there was no filming in the lobby, Dave didn't take the paper, but said, "If you put it there, I won't burn it."  Lance Walton of the state's court security system was the star witness for sending Dave to jail.  When asked if Dave wanted to question the witness, Dave refused and would only say that "On the job means on the record."  Judge Burke found Ridley guilty of Contempt of Court and gave him a $250 fine.  (How can he be guilty of Contempt of Court when Dave had never even entered a courtroom?)  Ridley stated that in civil disobedience, that one should "accept the punishment joyfully."  Dave refused to pay the fine because he did not want to "fatten the state" for cracking down on cameras.  Dave offered to do community service, but Judge Burke, again showing the arbitrary nature of his decisions, said that community service is given when the person can't afford to pay a fine.  Community service was offered to both Andrew Carroll and Russell Kanning without regard to ability to pay.  Dave was sentenced to 6 days in jail, starting July 6th if his fine is not paid and the judgment is not appealed.

At the end of the trial, Dave asked Judge Burke how he felt about sentencing a man to death recently.  Apparently Stewart Clark was sentenced by Burke on a traffic charge and sent to Cheshire County Jail where he died.  Burke refused to answer the question and left the room while Dave was asking if Burke felt he was in the moral right in regards to the case.

The civil disobedience of Dave Ridley and Sam Dodson (also arrested for filming in the Keene District Court lobby) has apparently accomplished the result of cameras being allowed in the courtroom.  All recent trials of Freestaters in Keene have been filmed by independent media.  The lobby is still in dispute. 

Coconut

Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 27, 2009, 04:33 PM NHFT
At the end of the trial, Dave asked Judge Burke how he felt about sentencing a man to death recently.  Apparently Stewart Clark was sentenced by Burke on a traffic charge and sent to Cheshire County Jail where he died.  Burke refused to answer the question and left the room while Dave was asking if Burke felt he was in the moral right in regards to the case.

Good coverage. According to Dave, he doesn't know if Burke was the sentencing judge in Mr. Clark's case. Nobody seems able to confirm it unless I've missed something.

Sam A. Robrin

In paragraph 2, that was Dan Steward, with a "d."  "Dan Stewart" is somebody else. 

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Coconut on June 27, 2009, 04:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 27, 2009, 04:33 PM NHFT

Good coverage. According to Dave, he doesn't know if Burke was the sentencing judge in Mr. Clark's case. Nobody seems able to confirm it unless I've missed something.

You should be able to walk in to the district court clerk and ask for the file on Stewart Clark.

Coconut

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on June 27, 2009, 07:04 PM NHFT
In paragraph 2, that was Dan Steward, with a "d."  "Dan Stewart" is somebody else. 

oops.

Then the mp3 I posted of that situation is misnamed as well.

Dave Ridley

i asked barbara (one of the court operatives) about Stewart Clark over the phone and she said he was in Keene district court but not sentenced there.  He apparently waived some sort of hearing there and was bumped up to Superior Court.  He may have been sentenced there but she wasn't sure.

So it appears that the term "sentenced" (which I used) is not accurate in describing what Burke did.   In the absence of further info I will probably write up an apology for the terminology, while re-iterating concern regarding the death.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 27, 2009, 08:55 PM NHFT
You should be able to walk in to the district court clerk and ask for the file on Stewart Clark.

And so I did, this morning.  They had several people on file with that name, and said they'd get back to me.

lildog

Looks like there may be a national level case of someone getting arrested for video taping in a court room...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0630092ivy1.html?link=rssfeed

Dave, you or others involved in the same thing should reach out to her.