• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving to Bristol

Started by ....., June 08, 2009, 04:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Cool :)  You won't be far from us in Grafton.

J’raxis 270145

Bristol is home to Ivy's Spice of Life, Bill & Ivy's restaurant.

Mike Ruff also works at Mayhew up there on the lake.

For cable, you're probably going to have to deal with Comcast, scumbags who will never get a dime from me. I have DSL from a small local company called MV Communications, who might be available up there. (If you do go with MV, use me as a referral—username jraxis—and I get $20, which I'll donate to a N.H. liberty organization of your choice, e.g. the FSP, NHLA, FTL, or similar.)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Kristie on June 08, 2009, 10:39 PM NHFT
Ugh.  I have heard nothing but horrible things about Comcast.  I am really hoping its not them.

I need a fairly fast internet connection for my work...I'll have my husband/tech geek check into that company you named.  Thank you for the information!

Yeah, Comcast are sleazebags. What I linked to was only the local example I know of demonstrating their sleazebaggery. They filter incoming ports unless you opt to pay exorbitantly more for a "business" account—the only meaningful difference being they disable the crippling they do to the residential accounts. They filter outgoing connections on ports like SMTP—again, to lock people into their service, but using the excuse that it's for their own customers' protection against spambots. They're the company surreptitiously throttling people's connection and injecting fake RSET packets into torrent downloads, without users' knowledge or consent—giving the Fedgov an excuse to start regulating "network neutrality." They're also one of the ISPs who are the most strongly supportive of the copyright cartels vs. their own paying customers. And all this is protected by the government monopoly given to them for being the local cable company.

As for MV, I was able to get 3.0Mb in Manchester. It's plenty fast enough for what I do online, including things like SSH connections, lots of downloading, &c..

KBCraig

Kristie, I like your avatar. It reminds me of of my old animated "Spaz or die".  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

comcast throttling for old guys

Atlas

The police chief in Bristol was a dick to me today and insulted me greatly when I was up helping Bill today.

J’raxis 270145

From what I've heard from Bill & Ivy, Bristol has far more police than they need (but then again, what place doesn't?). So all they do is drive around the town center looking for people to pull over, set up speed traps, &c.. While at the restaurant, I've counted five or six driving by outside within the span of an hour.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on June 09, 2009, 11:32 PM NHFT
From what I've heard from Bill & Ivy, Bristol has far more police than they need (but then again, what place doesn't?). So all they do is drive around the town center looking for people to pull over, set up speed traps, &c.. While at the restaurant, I've counted five or six driving by outside within the span of an hour.

In a situation both hilarious and sinister, while waving signs to generate business for Ivy's SoL, the local cop parked his car across the way from us and just sat there watching.  Sort of Barney Fife does Big Brother . . .

J’raxis 270145

Aaand today's just-announced bit of Comcast sleazebaggery: Comcast Intercepts and Redirects Port 53 Traffic.

K. Darien Freeheart

I am so spoiled by Comcast's speeds. I live in WV, where telco monopoly protection is so strong most major cell provider coverage literally drops right at the border of the state. My options are 5GB capped DSL through Frontier at $60 a month for 3 Mb or $20 a month for 20Mb with Comcast.

Metrocast offers 7 Mb, I think I could handle that, but I don't think I could ever go back to 3Mb DSL. :S