• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

2009 Porcupine Freedom Festival

Started by Fluff and Stuff, June 13, 2009, 03:28 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

There is a shooting event Saturday isn't there? That isn't the fruit planting event.
[/quote]

yeah that's the newbie shoot that was only for .22's and shotguns. 

djbridgeland

Quote from: geoff on June 22, 2009, 02:43 PM NHFT
I'm coming up on Thursday and already have some activities in mind that I want to participate in, but there are some things I want to do that I haven't seen listed on the various activity schedules, so I wanted to know if anyone else was interested or could provide direction.

I wanted to do some shooting, however the Appleseed project is a 2 day event I would only participate in for one day, and that makes it more expensive than I want.  The newbie shoot is limited to .22's and shotguns.  I was hoping to be able to shoot some non-.22 rifles/handguns(not trying to talk down to anyone).  If anyone knows of a range or wants to find a range nearby Lancaster (I haven't looked yet myself) let me know.

I was thinking that probably Friday afternoon or Sat. morning I would try to encompass (1) fishing, (2) exploring the nearby towns, finding a nice place to get a meal (nice quaint not pricey), (3) looking at a piece of land I found (I don't think many would care to look at land with me though).

I had tentatively planned on doing the Friday afternoon road rally, and if no other range options open up doing the newbie shoot, but if anyone wants to go fishing or exploring let me know.  Pm me here or email geoffbaxter3@yahoo.com  I won't be heartbroken if any of this doesn't happen though. 

Perhaps someone could organize a special First Church of the gun service on Sunday after Porcfest for visitors? ;D  That is a church that the atheist can get behind.

Friday

Quote from: djbridgeland on June 22, 2009, 08:39 PM NHFT

Perhaps someone could organize a special First Church of the gun service on Sunday after Porcfest for visitors? ;D  That is a church that the atheist can get behind.
Some years, there has been a gathering of atheists scheduled to coincide with the Sunday morning get-togethers for the worshipful types.  Not sure if anyone has organized one this year.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Friday on June 22, 2009, 09:08 PM NHFT

Some years, there has been a gathering of atheists scheduled to coincide with the Sunday morning get-togethers for the worshipful types.  Not sure if anyone has organized one this year.

I haven't seen it listed anywhere.  The Quaker gathering is from 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. at site #69.  The Seekers gathering from from 10 a.m. to later at site #36 (Alt Expo).  That should fit most people.  Someone should figure out where Lloyd's site is if people just want to sit around and make fun of Christians.

Pat K

I never make it , I would feel like to much of a hypocrite since I am
usually praying to god for my hangover to stop.

Friday

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on June 22, 2009, 09:48 PM NHFT

I haven't seen it listed anywhere.  The Quaker gathering is from 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. at site #69.  The Seekers gathering from from 10 a.m. to later at site #36 (Alt Expo).  That should fit most people.  Someone should figure out where Lloyd's site is if people just want to sit around and make fun of Christians.

Not to highjack this thread too much, but I really disagree that Quakers plus Seekers "fits most people".  I don't mean to say that I think the FSP needs to provide a Sunday morning event for atheists; that characterization of the breadth of people's spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof, just bugs me.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Friday on June 22, 2009, 10:04 PM NHFT
Not to highjack this thread too much, but I really disagree that Quakers plus Seekers "fits most people".  I don't mean to say that I think the FSP needs to provide a Sunday morning event for atheists; that characterization of the breadth of people's spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof, just bugs me.

Looking at an earlier version of the schedule I saw that there was only a Jewish gathering on Saturday, likely at Rich G.'s request.

I contacted Mark (the assistant coordinator, this is his first time to organize PF, btw).  I suggested that he look into contacting people about Christian, Seeker and atheist services.  I didn't give him suggestions on whom to contact, though.  I also mentioned that I was going to lead a Quaker gathering which he could add to the schedule or not.  I then added it to the unofficial schedule and called into FTL about - DIY (do it yourself).  Eventually, it was also added to the online version of the official schedule.

After calling into FTL, I looked at the schedule again.  A Christian gathering was added.  Additionally, I looked at the Alt Expo schedule (they have been DIY since the beginning), and noticed a Seeker gathering.

Unless, I hear otherwise, I'm pretty confident that every group which requested to be included was included.  If you or someone else creates an atheist gathering and promotes, I'd love that.  If not, just show up at Lloyd's campsite.

BTW, if you have never been to a Seekers gathering, you might want to check it out.  I've found the ones I attended pretty interesting.

Kat Kanning

I thought the Seekers meetings were interesting.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on June 22, 2009, 09:48 PM NHFT

Where would the challenge  be in doing that?  Besides by Sunday most of us will probably be laughing at some drunk thing you did.

Friday

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on June 22, 2009, 10:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on June 22, 2009, 10:04 PM NHFT

Looking at an earlier version of the schedule I saw that there was only a Jewish gathering on Saturday, likely at Rich G.'s request.

I contacted Mark (the assistant coordinator, this is his first time to organize PF, btw).  I suggested that he look into contacting people about Christian, Seeker and atheist services.  I didn't give him suggestions on whom to contact, though.  I also mentioned that I was going to lead a Quaker gathering which he could add to the schedule or not.  I then added it to the unofficial schedule and called into FTL about - DIY (do it yourself).  Eventually, it was also added to the online version of the official schedule.

After calling into FTL, I looked at the schedule again.  A Christian gathering was added.  Additionally, I looked at the Alt Expo schedule (they have been DIY since the beginning), and noticed a Seeker gathering.

Unless, I hear otherwise, I'm pretty confident that every group which requested to be included was included.  If you or someone else creates an atheist gathering and promotes, I'd love that.  If not, just show up at Lloyd's campsite.

BTW, if you have never been to a Seekers gathering, you might want to check it out.  I've found the ones I attended pretty interesting.
To reiterate, my point was NOT a commentary on the schedule of PorcFest.  It was in response to your saying Quakers and Seekers "should cover most people".  I see you've clarified that what you meant was "should cover most people who expressed an interest to the PorcFest organizers in having an event organized around their religious belief of choice".  OK, sounds good!

I've been to a Seekers gathering.

Russell Kanning

if Caleb was there ... he could organize the anarchist christian meeting .... then sleep through it

(yes I am testing to see if caleb is reading this thread) :)
red headed step children have to be beaten regularly to keep them  in line

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Friday on June 23, 2009, 06:29 AM NHFT
To reiterate, my point was NOT a commentary on the schedule of PorcFest.  It was in response to your saying Quakers and Seekers "should cover most people".  I see you've clarified that what you meant was "should cover most people who expressed an interest to the PorcFest organizers in having an event organized around their religious belief of choice".  OK, sounds good!

Oh, sorry.  I missed that part :blush:

Russell Kanning

are quakers traditionally hung over during their meetings? ;)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 23, 2009, 08:13 AM NHFT
are quakers traditionally hung over during their meetings? ;)

Quakers tend not to be big drinkers.

Giggan

I'm pretty much an atheist (objective agnostic) but I'll be heading to the Quaker thing to check it out.

Also, should I know what 'seekers' are?