• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Request for AT&T customers at PorcFest

Started by KBCraig, June 19, 2009, 06:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I'd appreciate a reception report from the Lancaster area for anyone using AT&T Wireless. Comparison against other carriers would be good, if anyone notices.

I know all reception is spotty up there, and AT&T uses a partner carrier (dunno who, though).

Friday

Quote from: KBCraig on June 19, 2009, 06:44 PM NHFT
I'd appreciate a reception report from the Lancaster area for anyone using AT&T Wireless. Comparison against other carriers would be good, if anyone notices.

I know all reception is spotty up there, and AT&T uses a partner carrier (dunno who, though).

I'll test it for you.  But no matter what the actual results, my official response to coworkers and clients is "I'm way out in the boonies of New Hampshire with no cellular or wireless service."   ;)

Pat K

Yep we tried using carrier pigeons  but the folks up there
shot them down.  ;D

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Pat K on June 20, 2009, 12:44 AM NHFT
Yep we tried using carrier pigeons  but the folks up there
shot them down.  ;D

Carrier pigeon stew! Mmmm! >:D

K. Darien Freeheart

Are you considering for personal use, or are you connected to AT&T professionally? I don't use AT&T but my Tracfone can hop on any GSM network and if one exists, I'm sure AT&T could too. I also know Jason from the Motorhome Diaries uses an AT&T USB key for access, so you can get reports on that too. :P

KBCraig

We've been with AT&T for a long time (pre-Cingular, when they were "the other AT&T"). We're out of contract and not tied to them at all, but my ancient smoke-signal puffer has broken, and I don't want to commit to a contract by buying a new phone, if it won't be usable when we move (probably about a year from now).

Yes, there are lots of alternatives to a contract subsidized phone, and being the cheap bastard that I am, I'll probably buy a used phone, or a Go phone and switch SIMs. But just in case I should lose my mind and buy an iPhone, I'd like to know if I can use it.

Thanks for the info about MHD. I'll drop Jason a note to see what kind of data connection they get (but I imagine they'll connect to Roger's wifi most of the time).

Friday

Believe it or not, I got a stronger signal with AT&T cellular in Lancaster than I do at home on the NH/MA border.   :P  Didn't have a signal right in my campsite at Rogers, though.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Friday on June 29, 2009, 03:14 PM NHFT
Believe it or not, I got a stronger signal with AT&T cellular in Lancaster than I do at home on the NH/MA border.   :P  Didn't have a signal right in my campsite at Rogers, though.

Possibly because there's a clearer line of sight from a cell tower on the top of one of the mountains up there, to where you were in Lancaster, than there is on the border flatlands.

KBCraig

Thanks, Friday.

Pete Eyre replied and told me they couldn't get an AT&T signal on their wireless dongle at the campground.

I'm just going to continue without a contract, until I scope things out when we get there.

jerry

My Verizon netcard worked fine at Rogers this year from PM20 on your campground map.

My AT&T cellphone was marginal, worked OK at the trailer, but lost signal several times as I walked around the campground, but still better than the last time at Rogers, when I had to drive 5 miles down the road towards Berlin to get any signal at all.

Pat McCotter

turbo

Verizon Blackberry worked well but no high speed data.

Friend with AT&T (iPhone) didn't have much luck with voice or data - reception seemed rather sporadic.

K. Darien Freeheart

Tracfone had full signal and Lindsay's T-Mobile phone didn't have a problem. I'm referring to voice only, no data.