• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Insurance and Registration

Started by Jennatarium, September 21, 2005, 11:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

free55

Quote from: russellkanning on October 22, 2005, 08:50 PM NHFT
Keep your stuff registered in WI. :)

Not good advice.  (Was probably a joke)

If you vehicle is registered in WI and your legal residency is NH, you're screwed if you get into an accident.  The insurance probably won't pay.

Insurance companies have 2 ends to them.  The sales end are nice and will promise the world.  The claims end has one mission:  when a claim comes in, figure how not to pay or how to minimize payment.  In your case, you'd be be paid zero and will be liable for the other party's damages.

tracysaboe

I actually work for the customer service in an insurence company. Esurance. (It's not it NH yet :( Hopefuly by the time I move.) but if we find out that you're living in a different state from where your car and license are registered, depending on the state regulations, our underwriters will cancel your policy if we find out about it.

Really, to live in a place different from where your insurence company rates you is a form of insurence fraud. Sole locations are simply more dangerous then others and for most insurence companies, the zip-code your in is a rating factor. 

Tracy

Russell Kanning

I register the car in MT and insure it in NH. I am not a "resident" of any state.

Kat Kanning

The insurance company knows the car is in Keene.  Why should they care where it's registered?

polyanarch

I only carry liability since even though my car's replacement value is high it is only "worth" a thousand dollars and by the time they do their math I'd be lucky to get $500.  It's not worth putting insurance on a car unless you HAVE to because of a loan.  But I figure if you can't afford to lose it you can't afford to drive it.  Insurance is just paying someone else to take your risk.  In the long run you will always pay more.

I do understand that liability might vary from state to state and location to location depending on the driving conditions, safety record of drivers in that area and jury awards in that locality.

I hate to lose my insurance agent.  He is REALLY good.  I wonder if he can represent me in NH?

Kat Kanning

polyanarch

Hey, I've got an appartment in Nashua, what more do you want?  My body?

;)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: polyanarch on October 22, 2005, 10:55 AM NHFT
I have a question:

I previously stated that I have 1 motorhome, 1 passenger car, and 2 motorcycles.

I had planned on living in NH part-time this year and moving my residency there.? I had hoped to get NH license plates for all my vehicles.? I don't plan on riding my cycles out one at a time to get the "inspected" and the MH might be in storage for most of the time in WI and be used only as a "cabin" when I'm there.

What am I to do?? I can't have WI plates on them if I'm no longer a WI resident and don't want to get IL residence because of that nasty FOID card and other BS plus my main residence will be NH.

If you are really going to just use the MH as a cabin in WI, why not let the reg expire.  When you are ready to move it to NH get Temporary plates in NH and drive it back on them.  Another possibility is to temporarily 'sell'  the MH to a friend in WI, pay for reg and ins. if required.  Use the MH when you are out there and when ready to bring it east, drive it with the transfer papers and make it appear they are selling it to you in NH.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: polyanarch on November 26, 2005, 07:03 AM NHFT
Hey, I've got an appartment in Nashua, what more do you want?  My body?

;)

Cool :)  Yup, we need your body when we're out making bureaucrat's jobs miserable  ;D

polyanarch

Lloyd,

You are a genius!

I could "sell' my MH to my parents!  Then I'd not pay any sales taxes.  They live here -they could insure and register it there and I could drive it! 

Genius.  The same for any bike I leave here!

WOOOOHOOO

Kat,

Be careful when you tell a polyamorist that you want his body....

;)

j/k

tracysaboe

Quote from: katdillon on November 20, 2005, 08:02 AM NHFT
The insurance company knows the car is in Keene.  Why should they care where it's registered?

They shouldn't.

But some state's won't allow an insurence company to cover a vehicle if the vehicle isn't registered in that state. Glad to hear NH isn't restrictive like that.

Tracy