• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Winning Ugly

Started by Friday, August 08, 2009, 06:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I realize now that I do apply a strategy so perhaps I could learn more. One strategy I apply is I just choose not to play sometimes. Like, I get private emails from someone who wants to discuss some topic with me and I just tell them I'm not interested in talking about it in private emails. I can tell they want to argue with me and it's just not worth my effort. Most of the time when I'm discussing something, I'm not interested in the huge audience of lowest common denominators. My thought is that someone, somewhere is receptive and that's who will be impacted by the message. That's the one I care about. Having an argument with one person privately seems like a lot of effort for the return in most cases. At the very least, I'd want others to hear it who might get something out of it even if I never convince the person I'm arguing with.

It's why I like having cameras on these bureaucrats when we're telling them why what they're doing is wrong. Among a few other things, that's getting people up off their asses and into NH.

And Friday, don't be disheartened so easily. I've been persuaded by plenty of people who didn't know they persuaded me. I've thought back to things people said to me from long ago that made sense in the light of new experiences. You're expanding their world when you tell them truthful things. Some deeply held beliefs just aren't going to change drastically overnight and certainly not right during the heat of an argument. Be patient.

Keyser Soce

Friday

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on August 10, 2009, 12:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on August 08, 2009, 06:49 AM NHFT
Brad Gilbert made strategy his strongest skill. Strategy amplifies and multiplies all the skills you have.
Ah, that's what I missed.  Thanks.

Did you see ways to use maximum advantage in your life after reading this?
Not really... it just reminded me, yet again, that I need a strategy.   :P

Russell Kanning

I think random actions that follow good principles are very productive. I think practicing endlessly and never using your skills properly is not as useful.
I also think substance trumps style in the long run.

I think in our movement that working with people and not debating them is better. I also think we should win "ugly" by not playing by goliath's rules.

K. Darien Freeheart

I think Dale takes his people skills for granted.

Dale, you explained your "strategy" right after saying you don't have one. I've noticed that a lot of libertarians (though, most people in general) are introverts and often socially awkward. I think Michael Cloud's book is focused on getting people to inspect the message they're sending and identify ways to make it more effective. It's not a general "strategy to dominate the world". It's really about communicating ideas effectively, and the ability to evaluate your message isn't something that comes naturally to everyone.

Friday

Quote from: dalebert on August 10, 2009, 01:05 PM NHFT
And Friday, don't be disheartened so easily. I've been persuaded by plenty of people who didn't know they persuaded me. I've thought back to things people said to me from long ago that made sense in the light of new experiences. You're expanding their world when you tell them truthful things. Some deeply held beliefs just aren't going to change drastically overnight and certainly not right during the heat of an argument. Be patient.

Thanks.  Maybe you're right.  I know my pessimism holds me back sometimes.