• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Don't associate with Ryan Marvin.

Started by Mellamo, July 08, 2009, 06:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellamo

Andy and Brinck here. For those of you who aren't aware, we're nearing the conclusion of a situation with a former roommate and Free Stater, Ryan Marvin. To make a long story short, he was trusted with the responsibility of paying the bills with the cash that Brinck and I gave him every month (between $100 and $200 per person, per month). After a while, Ryan decided to pocket the cash but not pay the bills. It came to a head when the power was shut off and Ryan borrowed over $900 from another Free Stater to get the power turned back on. In this time of turmoil, Ryan made multiple trips to the pawn shop. Meanwhile, 13 of my video games went missing. We wanted to trust Ryan when told us that he didn't steal from us, but the proof shows us otherwise. For four months, the power bill and the cable bill went unpaid, for a grand total of $2000 that disappeared into Ryan's pocket. Today we confirmed with the pawn shop owner that Ryan Robert Marvin had in fact sold 13 of my video games and 1 game that belonged to Keith and Stuff. He also owes money to our landlord.

Two things can happen. Ryan can publicly admit what he did and compensate to the various people who were harmed by his thievery, or he can continue on his current path and continue to destroy his credibility and any chance of his success in New Hampshire.

I would advise anyone to be wary of Ryan Marvin and to not associate with him in any capacity until he does the right thing to make up for his crimes (legitimate crimes that he could be sent to prison for, but won't because Brinck and I have chosen not to take that road).

AntonLee

very disappointing.  Sorry to hear Andy/Brinck

Atlas

Allegedly, Mr. Marvin also owes like 2K to the Lil Minn household as well.

Friday

This is very disappointing; just a week and a half ago at PorcFest, I went out of my way to shake Ryan's hand for his work on the gay marriage bill.  But IMO, no amount of activism makes up for lying to and stealing from friends.   :(  I hope Ryan chooses to make amends.

Thanks for spreading the word.

Mellamo

Quote from: Friday on July 08, 2009, 06:30 PM NHFT
This is very disappointing; just a week and a half ago at PorcFest, I went out of my way to shake Ryan's hand for his work on the gay marriage bill.  But IMO, no amount of activism makes up for lying to and stealing from friends.   :(  I hope Ryan chooses to make amends.

Thanks for spreading the word.

He did good work on the bill, but we were involuntarily and unknowingly funding his living expenses while he was working on the bill. I guess he didn't know that life and virtue come before politics.

Kat Kanning

Puke

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: AntonLee on July 08, 2009, 06:28 PM NHFT
very disappointing.  Sorry to hear Andy/Brinck

Screw them.  I want me game!  It was real cool too.  You train to be a ninja for cry out loud.

Russell Kanning

J’raxis 270145

Ryan had told a few of us about this situation, but he claimed that he has some sort of issue with his bank (some sketchy-sounding company that offers quasi-anonymous bank accounts implemented as gift cards) rejecting automated bill payment withdrawals, and not notifying him; this the power was turned off after a few months of nonpayment. He also said he'd gotten a loan from his family to cover things until he got the situation with the bank straightened out. Any truth to any of this, partial or otherwise?

I also understand that this was being mediated by Ancap Agency. How is that going?

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on July 08, 2009, 09:08 PM NHFT
...Ancap Agency. How is that going?

You may not know, but he claimed he was kicked out of where he lived in TX or something before he moved up and it was his roommate's fault.  He also owes Ron a lot of money.  Andy knew about what happened in TX, and he and Brink could have learned what happened to Ron without any trouble if they were interested.

Ancap Agency has not contacted me.

John

Ryan had told a few of us about this situation, [...] He also said he'd gotten a loan from his family to cover things [...]

Hmmm.  If he told a few people about this, did any of them advise him to maybe talk to those directly involved?
If he'd gotten a loan to "cover things," why am I reading about it?
This guy is mostly into politics - right?

Mellamo

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on July 08, 2009, 09:53 PM NHFT
...Ancap Agency. How is that going?

You may not know, but he claimed he was kicked out of where he lived in TX or something before he moved up and it was his roommate's fault.  He also owes Ron a lot of money.  Andy knew about what happened in TX, and he and Brink could have learned what happened to Ron without any trouble if they were interested.

Ancap Agency has not contacted me.

1. I did? I didn't know that I knew that.  ::)

2. While we didn't do our due diligence in researching Ryan's history, it was partially because we figured we could trust a libertarian to not steal from us. Nobody told us we were wrong, and it would have been nice to know. That's a big reason we're so public about this. Nobody else should get burned by this guy.

3. Should he have contacted you?

Ryan had told a few of us about this situation, but he claimed that he has some sort of issue with his bank (some sketchy-sounding company that offers quasi-anonymous bank accounts implemented as gift cards) rejecting automated bill payment withdrawals, and not notifying him; this the power was turned off after a few months of nonpayment. He also said he'd gotten a loan from his family to cover things until he got the situation with the bank straightened out. Any truth to any of this, partial or otherwise?

I also understand that this was being mediated by Ancap Agency. How is that going?

It's true that Ryan has a shady bank. It's also true that every attempt to prove his innocence was thwarted by fate and misfortune. Every step of the way, there was some sort of issue in proving the very simple point that he made payments. For example, we were going to call the bank one day to check his account history. We agreed on the day and the time. Ryan spent the day hanging out at the apartment until it was time to call the bank, and then it turned out that he lost his card. The one piece of information needed to check his account was missing right when we needed it. The rejected bill payments line is new to me.

He talked about getting money from his family, but I don't know if that happened or not. I do know that he borrowed $900 from a friend and fellow free stater to get the power back on.

We did mediation, and came up with an agreement, which included a time limit for Ryan to prove that there was an outgoing payment from his credit card to PSNH. It was never sufficiently proven, and we kicked him out of the apartment about 2 or 3 weeks after the deadline, when we found out the Comcast bill was in the same shape as the PSNH bill.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Mellamo on July 08, 2009, 10:16 PM NHFT
The rejected bill payments line is new to me.

I don't remember specifically what he said as to this; it was at least a month or two ago. I was looking for a new bank at the time and remembered he had told me about this quasi-anonymous gift card thing he uses like a year ago; I re-asked him about that recently, and he told me no, don't trust them, and told me all about the situation he was having with them with bill payments.

At the time, I knew nothing about your and Brink's take on this sitation, so he had no need to defend himself by telling me this story—which on the one hand makes me think it's credible, and that this situation was just a severe act of negligence on his part, but on the other hand it could indicate that he methodically planned out a cover story to tell to a bunch of people.

And you have reasonably incontrovertible proof from the pawnshop owner that he was selling your games now?

I certainly hope Ryan weighs in on this thread with a more complete version of his side of the story. Ryan's done a lot of great work on pro-freedom activism, with the NHLA and otherwise; I've been friends with him since he moved to Manchester, and he's always seemed pretty responsible and honorable with money. This whole situation is pretty shocking.

Mellamo

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on July 08, 2009, 10:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mellamo on July 08, 2009, 10:16 PM NHFT
The rejected bill payments line is new to me.
And you have reasonably incontrovertible proof from the pawnshop owner that he was selling your games now?

I have a copy of the sale slip from the pawn shop with a list of the items he sold (14 video games) with his name, address, and driver's license number.