• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

my move and finding employment

Started by jason12085, February 22, 2008, 12:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jason12085

It looks like I will have all my ducks in a row to be able to move this summer.  I'm still debating on where to move. Employment will play the biggest factor in my decision. I'm a cnc machinist with a couple years experience.  I really like Keene, I've been there quite a few times during the past summers. It's a great place and not to mention, it's really close to my home here in taxachusetts. But I'm not sure what's available for employment in my field there.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind working at the sigarms plant out in Exeter.  But, it's a bit out of the way and things start to get pricey out that end of the state.

Only if the sigarms plant was in Keene, I'd be all set. :-\   

I'm open to suggestions.

Ron Helwig

Deerfield!

I know there's some CNC places around here, and we're commuting distance from Sigarms.

Tom Sawyer

GCG199

There are lots of CNC machinist jobs available in several NH cities. Take a look at www.jobsinnh.com and the Unionleader.com/Monster.com jobs classifieds.

Granite State Manufacturing on Kelly street on Manchester's West side is looking for 2nd shift CNC Machinists. Do a web search for their website. They accept resumes by e-mail.

JJ

The place I work at is currently in a hiring phase looking for the following positions:

Due to recent growth in market demand, Precitech is actively seeking qualified candidates in the following areas...

* CNC Hurco Operator (Second Shift):
      Responsible for the programming, set up and operation of a Hurco Milling Machine to produce components with extremely close tolerances. Must have prior CNC knowledge including familiarity with "G" and "M" codes, be able to read and interpret prints, and use precision measuring instruments. 2-4 years experience with similar equipment preferred.

* CNC Proto-Trak Operator (Second Shift):
      Responsible for set up and operation of a Proto-Trak Milling Machine to produce components within close tolerances.  Must have prior experience with Proto-Trak or Bridgeport vertical milling machines, be able to read and interpret prints, and use precision measuring instruments. 2-4 years experience preferred.

* Surface Grinder (Second Shift):
      Responsible for the operation of various surface grinding machines. Qualified candidates must be familiar with surface grinding and rotary lapping machines, knowledge of methods, set-ups, and precision measuring instruments. 1-2 years experience preferred.

* Electrical Assembly (Second and Third Shifts):
      Responsible for assembling and troubleshooting electronic and electro/mechanical systems. Qualified candidates will have a broad knowledge of electronic control systems and circuitry. Must be able to interpret schematics / prints, and use electrical testing and diagnostic equipment.  3-5 years experience preferred.

* Mechanical Assembly - Metrology Equipment (First Shift):
      Responsible for assembling a variety of metrology systems, including spindles and slides, hydraulic and pneumatic circuitry and controls. The ability to read prints and use a wide range of instruments is essential. 2-4 years experience preferred.

Goto: http://www.precitech.com/Precitech_careers.html

Precitech manufactures ultra precision diamond cutting machines (they use diamonds to cut parts with about a 1.3 nanometer finish).  You would be making parts for in house use as well as filling orders for service repairs.  This is a really good place to get in at.

Puke

Keene seems to have a lot of machinist jobs available in the paper all the time.

FTL_Ian

108 reasons to move to Keene: http://move.FreeKeene.com   8)

jason12085

I have heard of the precitech place before. I have seen their ads in the sentinel.

What do you do there, jjschless ?  If you don't mind me asking.
Everything they have listed seems a little out of my experience. Are they willing to do some training?  I can do some, but very little programming. I know how to set the machines up, but I have never used a Hurco control befere.  Extremely close tolerances?

I guess I still have 3-4 months to check everything out.
I have to go to Keene Saturday, I may grab a paper and check out the ads. 

Thanks guys

JJ

I am a mechanical assembler for their box slide machines, basically a machine builder.  From a machine shop perspective close tolerances means taking .0001" increments off of journals consistently.  From an assembler perspective it means setting up slides to a specification of less than .000008" (1/5th of a Micron) straightness on the box slides and .00002" (1/2 Micron) on other slide types.

Just to give you an idea the location display for each axis has 8-9 decimal places and is accurate, (0.00000000) 

They do train but they are also very picky. 

Russell Kanning

David

Quote from: Puke on February 22, 2008, 04:31 PM NHFT
Keene seems to have a lot of machinist jobs available in the paper all the time.
You may try the Tidland or Tideland Corp. 
A while back there was a cnc job fair.  I'm not qualified, so I don't usually pay attention, but for some reason I keep hearing about it in the area. 
You can also look at the sentinel classifieds online. 

jason12085

Well, It's been awhile since I've been on this site even more specifically this post of mine from over a year ago.  I just got laid off and have enough in savings to make my FINALLY move.  I Will probably be up looking for a place to work starting next week.  

Seeing a lot changes in a year, what are there for cnc machinist employment opportunities now, are any shops in southwest NH actually hiring?

Thanks

JJ

The place I was at had a sharp decline in orders and had to lay off a large portion of the work force, including myself.