• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Hello... Visiting NH for the first time with the intent of moving

Started by Antigone, July 16, 2009, 11:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Antigone

Hello Ladies!

I am hoping to visit New Hampshire in mid-October (Manchester, Portsmouth & Keene in particular) in order to get a feel for the communities, and who knows, maybe get some job interviews!  I am a native of San Jose, CA and a first generation American.  As a libertarian from the age of 15, you can all imagine how difficult it's been to be surrounded by all these ignorant statists.  At San Francisco State University (I graduated with a degree in Cinema Arts.) I was "instructed" that Libertarians are one step to the left of fascists on the dogmatic left to right political graph.  Any argument I could make was in the end trumped by the fact that she claimed to have "libertarian" friends.  (Is that like the whole, "I can't be racist since I have a black friend." thing?) I've been attending Libertarian Party meetings, rallies, and working booths since before I could vote.  A major impetus for getting this moving process into action is that I just returned from the C4L Conference in Las Vegas.  The next night, I got into an argument about regulating the internet IN SILICON VALLEY!  I need to be around more people that make sense and don't look at me like I'm the devil.  (WHAT?!?! You don't RECYCLE?)  So, on to my point - are there any women here willing to show me around?  I'd like to make the most out of the 7-10 days that I'll be around in order to make the best decisions possible.  I have a feeling that I'll tend towards Manchester as I am used to cities of about a million in population; enjoy fine dining, live music and pubs.  Of course, I'm interested in activism too. ;)  Oh, and I'll be showing my California roots here - I smoke cigarettes (the normal kind) so if you want to drive a stake through the heart of any smoker you see, you might not want to be hospitable towards me.  That's the Californian response anyway. :p

Thanks!

Cheers & Liberty,
Antigone

Kat Kanning

Hi Antigone,

I used to live in San Jose and San Francisco :)  If you want to see Grafton, I'd be happy to show you around, though there's not a lot to see. 

Kat

Lloyd Danforth

Yeah.  It's not Manchester, but, we need more chicks here!

FTL_Ian

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on July 17, 2009, 06:23 AM NHFT
Yeah.  It's not Manchester, but, we need more chicks here!

What are you talking about? I heard that Jay got a couple hundred of them!

Sam A. Robrin

I'm half female on my mother's side, and would be happy to show you around . . .

Antigone

Kat - Thanks!  What was the biggest culture shock for you?  I don't think Grafton would be the place for me.  I lived in Prescott, AZ for 7 months and that was all I could take.  (Sorry Lloyd)

Ian - I definitely will.  I read about a 2008 Free Keene event last year that happened the day after the Pumpkin Fest (which I found out is 10/17 this year) is that same Free Keene event not happening in 2009?

Sam - Hardy har har.  Where do you live and where did you come from?  How long in NH?

Thank you all!

Kat Kanning

Culture shock moving to NH or to Grafton?  I used to live in Keene.  (Sam Robrin is in Keene, BTW).  The only thing I don't like about living in Grafton is the distance to the stores.  I love living out in the middle of nowhere, otherwise!

When I first moved to NH, it was an adjustment to learn to deal with snow. Driving in it was OK...just go slow and don't try and stop or turn fast.  Do shovel your roof and sidewalk...not doing so becomes very unpleasant.   Snow is fun to play in though!

cynthia

I'll be more than willing to help on the Seacoast end - Portsmouth is great!

Jennifer

I'll be happy to show you around Keene. I know Manchester pretty well, too. :)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Antigone on July 17, 2009, 12:51 PM NHFT
Ian - I definitely will.  I read about a 2008 Free Keene event last year that happened the day after the Pumpkin Fest (which I found out is 10/17 this year) is that same Free Keene event not happening in 2009?

It looks that way.  I don't know for sure.  Not sure if anyone does.  Mike organizes it and he seems to want to do it that day.  It seems like a great date for the event.

http://www.freekeenefest.com/content/date
http://www.freekeenefest.com/forum/9

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Antigone on July 17, 2009, 12:51 PM NHFT
Sam - Hardy har har.  Where do you live and where did you come from?  How long in NH?

I'm in Keene, here since D 28, 2008, from Oklahoma.  Wouldn't be anywhere else!

Antigone

Kat - Thanks!  Snow *is* fun.  Glad to know the novelty hasn't worn off!  "The middle of nowhere" probably isn't the place for me though! :)

Cynthia - Awesome!  I read that Seacoast is where the "weather wimps" should go and that it's very bike-able.  I checked out your site.  You're quite the artist! Are you happy with the state as a small-business owner?  Are there many FSP events in Portsmouth?  I'll admit I do have a penchant for living by the sea.  I descend from islanders after all. :D

Jennifer - That sounds great!  Manchvegas may be the most familiar setting for me.  I'm assuming you're at least twice the woman that Sam is.

Fluff & Stuff - Thanks for the info!  I checked out your links and am shopping around for flights!

Lloyd Danforth

Pat K

I just knew some folks were talking about the evil snow!

I hate snow.