• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Yummy recipe for a butter cake (my changes to recipe will be under this post

Started by Raineyrocks, July 20, 2009, 10:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Philadelphia German Butter Cake
For the Cake:
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup vegetable shortening (not butter flavored)
¼ t. salt
1 large egg
1 envelope active dry yeast [I used 2 t. SAF instant yeast]
½ cup warm milk [110 degrees, if you're using active dry yeast & have a thermometer]
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 T. pure vanilla extract

For the Topping:
½ lb unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2/3 cup flour
2 cups extra finely granulated sugar [I put 2 c. sugar in my food processor and whiz it around for a few seconds]
2 large eggs
4-5 T. milk

Make dough:
If using active dry yeast, dissolve in warm milk and set aside to proof. [If using instant yeast, skip this step.]

With a mixer, combine sugar, shortening, and salt. Add egg and beat 1 minute. Add flour, then milk/yeast mixture and vanilla to sugar mix. [If you're using instant yeast, combine it with the flour first.] Mix 3 minutes with dough hook or by hand.

Turn dough out onto floured board and knead 1 minute. Put into a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Meanwhile prepare the topping:
Cream butter. Stir together flour and sugar. Gradually beat sugar/flour mixture into butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk by teaspoonful to bring the mixture to an easy spreading consistency. Do not make it too runny.

When dough has doubled in size:
Preheat oven to 375.

Decide if you'll be using two well-greased 8-inch square pans, or one 9x13-inch pan [I use one big one]. If using two pans, divide dough in half. Roll or pat dough to fit bottom of pan(s). Crimp edges half way up the pan to hold the topping.

Okay, the rest of this didn't copy right but it says to bake for about 30 minutes.

Raineyrocks

Okay now how to make it nice and juicy like an old time Philadelphia Butter Cake, it won't taste exactly like from an old Philly bakery but it's the closest I've ever gotten to it. ;D

Oh yeah, you can just knead it with your hands in the greased bowl, you don't have to use flour and a board. ::) Let it rise for an hour even though my dough never doubles in size, I don't know why, but I still manage to get two 8 inch cake pans out of the crust, it doesn't have to be thick, it's the topping that really makes it nummy! :)

The topping part is what I change! (the fine sugar is just confectioner's sugar)

I add about 2 1/2 sticks of butter instead of just 2
I add 2 1/2 cups of Confectioner's sugar instead of 2 cups
I put 5 to 7 tablespoons of milk in

You don't need a hand mixer, just stir it real good.

The most important part is to keep an eye on it in the oven!  If you bake it at 375 degrees for 30 minutes it's going to be more like butter pound cake not good old juicy Philly Butter Cake so usually it takes only 20 minutes to bake. 

Remember keep your eye on it and if you see it getting harder on the top in the oven take it out before, you want it to be runny!

It's real sweet!   I like using 2 round 8 inch cake pans too!  Also remember, (this part didn't copy either), when your done making the crust, put the topping on it after putting holes in it with a fork and let it sit there for 20 minutes before putting it in the oven.

Let me know if you make it and like it!