• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Health care self-service

Started by Jacobus, July 21, 2009, 06:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobus

So now that it looks like nationalized health care is just over the horizon and bureaucrats will get to decide who lives and who dies, I was thinking it would be a good time to start educating myself on medical matters and health care.  I'm looking both for introductions to understand how stuff works and for references for how to treat things.  So first, please respond of you use or know of any good resources.   

In my first Googlings, I've seen Andrew Saul's materials (http://www.doctoryourself.com/) and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on his books or approach.  Saul (and some others, like Linus Pauling) apparently are strong believers in regularly taking large dosages of vitamins, and in particular vitamin C.

Also, anyone have opinions on occasional juice fasting?

Kat Kanning

I did a month long juice fast and felt the best I've ever felt.  Kira did it for about 3 weeks and I think it did wonders for her.  The protocol we were using is at http://juicefeasting.com.

Scott Roth

Vitamin C is great for the body, but only take it in the isotonic version.  That's the only way the body truly recognizes it as a natural substance.  Pills, capsules and tablets may take anywhere from 2 to 8 hours to break down in the digestive system, but you can lose up to 80% of the potency during that time.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 21, 2009, 06:49 AM NHFT
I did a month long juice fast and felt the best I've ever felt.  Kira did it for about 3 weeks and I think it did wonders for her.  The protocol we were using is at http://juicefeasting.com.

That site is interesting with tons of links, thanks Kat!  :)    I'm going to the produce stand tomorrow and I'm going to try to at least get semi-raw again before I try this fast.   
Did you and Kira have any detox symptoms?  That what scares me about doing a juice fast.  :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Scott Roth on July 21, 2009, 08:04 AM NHFT
Vitamin C is great for the body, but only take it in the isotonic version.  That's the only way the body truly recognizes it as a natural substance.  Pills, capsules and tablets may take anywhere from 2 to 8 hours to break down in the digestive system, but you can lose up to 80% of the potency during that time.

Wow, I never knew that, thanks Scott!  :)   I guess the vitamin C my old ND sold me are pretty useless then.  :P

Raineyrocks

Quote from: raineyrocks on July 21, 2009, 03:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: Scott Roth on July 21, 2009, 08:04 AM NHFT

Wow, I never knew that, thanks Scott!  :)   I guess the vitamin C my old ND sold me are pretty useless then.  :P

Scott,

Would you happen to know of anyway in the world to get rid of TMJ?   My jaws are killing me and I've been tempted to buy a subliminal cd on tmj from Ebay but I'm pretty skeptical about things like that. :-\

Kat Kanning

Rainey, re: detox symptoms -- sometimes my teeth would ache or just aches in various places, I believe Kira got a couple headaches.  It was all very transient.

Scott Roth

Exactly.  My first wife Lisa was a dental hygienist, and she always told me that TMJ was because of over oxidation.  So, what you need are a good cleanse, and a very powerful anti-oxidant.  The TMJ should go away over time.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 22, 2009, 08:57 AM NHFT
Rainey, re: detox symptoms -- sometimes my teeth would ache or just aches in various places, I believe Kira got a couple headaches.  It was all very transient.

I guess that's not that bad for the benefits you get.  I'll have to choose a good week to be grouchy!

I did the Lemonade Fast before for almost 3 days but my mistake was doing it with my sister, she was horrible.   She caved in, the 2nd day and I followed along the 3rd day and we ordered pizza.

We did have tons of regular lemonade for weeks though with the left overs!  I wonder which fast would be better the Stanley Burroughs Lemonade one or the one you did.  :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Scott Roth on July 22, 2009, 12:02 PM NHFT
Exactly.  My first wife Lisa was a dental hygienist, and she always told me that TMJ was because of over oxidation.  So, what you need are a good cleanse, and a very powerful anti-oxidant.  The TMJ should go away over time.

Thanks!  :)

I'll have to look up oxidation.   Do you have any recommendations for a good anti-oxidant?

Kat Kanning

Well of course I'm biased toward the one I did  :D

PassionatePantherrr

On health care matters in general, I would consider myself an herbalist, have a B.S. in Biochem/Biophysics, and a masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (chinese herbs/traditional medicine), and no, I am not currently licensed to practice acupuncture/tcm. Go to www.freewebs.com/nhholistichealthandeducation for a more detailed listing of my current offerings, though you're welcome to pick my brain and/or come over for a consult at some point. Being an herbalist means that I consult with clients about what herbs/dietary changes/health changes they wish to make in their lives for improved health. On the topic of vitamin C, Pauling was a big proponent of megadoses (up to 10 g a day). Basically, as vitamin C is water soluble, you start with about 2 g a day, and work your way up to the point where you start having loose stools/diarrhea from the vitamin C levels, then back down to where that side effect subsides. The natural forms are definitely much more absorbable (eg. 1 cup of tea made with a Tbsp of rose hips has the equivalent C of up to 6 oranges - reuse the hips in subsequent cups of tea until the tea strength seems weaker). A good general resource for improving your health with dietary changes, with a TCM way of looking at diet, is Paul Pitchford's "Healing with Whole Foods".

I'm not familiar with Saul's work, but will take a look at the link. In my experience, juice fasts can be a reasonable way to clear your system of toxins. There are various ways to do fasts (modified for those who have special needs, of course).

Scott Roth

I use and highly recommend a product called OPC3 from Market America.  It has done wonders or my allergies and helped alot with some of my diabetic symptoms as well.  Go to: www.marketamerica.com/rothamerica

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Scott Roth on July 23, 2009, 11:55 AM NHFT
I use and highly recommend a product called OPC3 from Market America.  It has done wonders or my allergies and helped alot with some of my diabetic symptoms as well.  Go to: www.marketamerica.com/rothamerica

Awesome, thanks Scott!  :D

Humorrhoid

PG 13

Well of course I'm biased toward the one I did

Self service .Hmmmm.

What is a good herbal remedies for men with erectile dysfunction?