• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Union Leader's editor blog mentions FSP adopt a highway

Started by JonM, September 23, 2005, 03:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

JonM

http://www.unionleader.com/opinionblog.html

As of this posting it is the top blog entry, this will change over time, and eventually you will need to click on "for more entries" at the bottom to read it.

---------------------
Community-minded libertarians
If you?re driving along Route 101 toward Keene, you might notice a curious sign along the roadside. It?s one of those sponsor-a-highway signs notifying drivers that the section of highway is being tended by a particular organization. This organization: the Free State Project.
Communitarian libertarians. Who?d have thought?

If you want to sponsor a highway, here?s the info from the DOT. The Free State Project is a new sponsor so is not listed on the sponsors page.

Also, if you click on the Free State Project link above, you?ll notice the number of FSP members who have moved to New Hampshire since the project started. Only 19,619 to go!

---------------------

If you click respond it is an email to the editor, so just put "Re: Community-minded libertarians" in the subject so he'll know it's a reply to his blog entry.? I am one of the only people who ever seems to respond to his blogs, and he's posted it ever time I have (both I think!).? He has in the past mourned the lack of responses to his blog, to which I suggested he do a webform.? He says that's in the works.

Kat Kanning

:)  That reminds me, I need to schedule the last one of the year.  We've been doing this for one year, BTW, so not sure how long you have to do it to not be new.

Michael Fisher

The New Hampshire Underground:? Proving the immense value of volunteerism since 2004.? ?8) 8)

GREAT JOB, everyone who organizes and participates in these cleanups!!!? :) :) :)

Michael Fisher

Speaking of volunteerism making a positive impact...

Timberland's Serv-a-Palooza event yesterday was amazing!  Serv-a-Palooza is a volunteer day organized by Timberland in about a dozen different locations throughout the Seacoast area and including the Manchester food bank.  I volunteered for the one in Exeter at the New Outlook Teen Center.  We cleared out the field behind their facility and installed fences, put down sod and grass, created picnic tables and raised planting beds, planted trees and bushes, scraped paint and painted murals on their facility.   :) :) :)

It was really fun!    ;D  I helped install the fences, dig holes, do landscaping, and plant trees and bushes.   8)  It was an all-day event and I had to work all night before and after the event so I was completely worn out by this morning!   :o

There were about 50 or more volunteers at the NOTC.  It was very exciting!  :)

Here's a short description from the company intranet:

8th Annual Serv-a-palooza

September 22, 2005 is our 8th Annual Serv-a-Palooza and will mark our largest service event in company history. 6,000 volunteers will serve over 40,000 hours across 25 countries and 5 continents.

Theme:  Community Revitalization
a)     Environmental Sustainability
b)    Hunger, Housing and Homelessness
c)     Play Spaces/Learning Spaces for Kids

General Itinerary:
7:30 Breakfast / Registration at HQ
8:00 Board Buses & Depart (Lawrence volunteers only)
8:05 Opening Kick-Off at HQ
8:20 Board Buses & Depart (non-Lawrence site volunteers)
9:00 Welcome & Orientation at Project Sites
9:10 Service Begins
12:30 Lunch
3:45 Clean-Up & Debrief
4:00 Project Celebrations (on-site)
4:30  Buses Begin Departing for HQ?Early Buses
(Certain projects will stagger early/late bus departures)
5:00  Late Buses Depart for HQ

Michael Fisher

Serv-a-Palooza was covered by just almost every major media outlet in the state.  It was even on the evening news on TV.  We had a lot of fun, helped our communities, and showed the world the value of volunteerism and charitable activity at the same time.  Nothing else can possibly make you feel this good!  It felt like we created a miracle yesterday!  Volunteerism is awesome! ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Russell was ticked off and talking about quitting the FSP recently.  I told him there was no way he could quit.  He looked kind of offended and asked why not.  So I told him that he'd have to get rid of half his wardrobe if he quit.  So he decided to stay  ;)

JonM

Once you've actually moved, you're pretty much off the bus!

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 23, 2005, 05:15 PM NHFT
I hope you were wearing your FSP shirt.

They gave us Serv-a-Palooza shirts to wear.  Timberland paid beaucoup bucks for these events, so I was happy to wear the shirt for them!  :)

tracysaboe

You do realize you're propagating the value of government transportation.

You should be donating your time to help out private endevors. Let the government owned places rot for what they are.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 23, 2005, 10:03 PM NHFT

You should be donating your time to help out private endevors. Let the government owned places rot for what they are.

Tracy

When the first private highway is created in New Hampshire, I'm sure we'll clean that one too.  Until then...

KBCraig

The point is to reduce the demand for tax money to pay government employees or contractors, by using volunteers to do the same job for free. It proves that not everything that benefits the public has to be acquired through tax money.

Kevin

John

Quote from: katdillon on September 23, 2005, 05:24 PM NHFT
Russell was ticked off and talking about quitting the FSP recently.? I told him there was no way he could quit.? He looked kind of offended and asked why not.? So I told him that he'd have to get rid of half his wardrobe if he quit.? So he decided to stay? ;)

:)

John

Hey BTW I was recently thinking (just momentarily) of ending my support of one group, and thought (hey) I can take their bumper sticker off of my car, but what would I do with this nice t-shirt?

Well in my case, I like to customize things, right?  So it occured to me that I could take my fabric-paint and write "I Quit the" or, "I DON"T Support the" above their name.   >:D ;D :o . . .

Russell Kanning

Tracy

Don't make me break my vow of non-violence ..... Mike will have to fast for months to atone for my sins ;D

I even use that road and pay for it.