• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Union Leader's editor blog mentions FSP adopt a highway

Started by JonM, September 23, 2005, 03:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Except in your vision are they all sitting in lounge cars watching TV laughing? ;D

JonM

The first Adopt-a-Highway program began in Texas in 1985. Concerned citizens wanted to help clean up the littered highways. Since then, thousands of groups have volunteered their time and effort picking up litter on highways all over the country. Forty-nine of the 50 states in the U.S. have a program like Adopt a Highway.

Russell Kanning

I love the ones in CA on your way out to Vegas ..... some company is getting advertising on the sign, but over the next mile there is like 5000 bottles and trash spreading into the desert. :'(

I have not seen anything that littered in NH ..... with or without an "adoptive" group

Lloyd Danforth

I took a trip out west in 1991, totally oblivious to the 'adopt a highway' thing. ?After I got thru N.J. I saw very little litter. ?I'm driving thru Houston and I see thid black plastic bag in the breakdown lane. ?Assuming ? someone dropped their house trash on the road, I'm think'in 'rotten bastard' ?The, a little ways down the road I saw another, then, another, then another, then an "adopt a highway' sign! ;D
Galveston, Carlsbad, El Paso, Albequerque, Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver no litter. ?When I passed thru Four Corners into Indian territory, ?broken glass glittered like jewels in the sunlight on either side of the road for miles and miles!

Michael Fisher

My reply to the blog:

This is Mike Fisher, a Free State Project member and early mover to Newmarket, New Hampshire.

Thank you very much for the recognition in of our Adopt-a-Highway efforts on 101 in Peterborough.  Here are some other projects we're working on:
-Our other Adopt-a-Highway project on Rt. 4 in Lee organized by Brian Pellerin.  Look for the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance signs on that one.
-Some of us started the Liberty Scholarship Fund two years ago with the help of the NHLA.  (www.LSFund.org)
-The NHLA includes a Civic Action branch that organizes and promotes volunteerism and charitable donations.
-The NHLA organized 24 of us as volunteers to raise funds for charity at the Sylvania 300 Nascar race in Loudon.
-Some volunteer and donate to help strengthen existing charitable organizations and volunteer efforts, such as existing local charities, scholarship funds, and community and business organizations.
-Some have joined the Red Cross, offered to take in the homeless, and helped our neighbors who are in need.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not take political action.  The goal of my non-political action is to help others, improve the community, and replace the need for government with volunteerism, charity, and private solutions.  The hope of being more free inspires me to do this.

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

tracysaboe

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 26, 2005, 12:16 PM NHFT
That's like saying the Red Cross should be prosecuted for treason for helping tyrannical governments take care of prisoners of war.

Or, more directly, it's like prosecuting someone in the US for treason for volunteering to clean up a road in Cuba, China, or North Korea (thus teaching the locals the value of volunteerism) simply because the governments own all the roads.

That's an awfully deep hole you're digging there...   ;D

Well, OK then.

Certainly when I go to a public park or something I clean up after myself. (Of-course, I don't frequent public parks very often.) In fact when I was in Boy Scouts they always taught us to leave a camp-site better then the way we found it. It's just common curtesy.

You guys do what you do, you do alot of good, and who knows, perhaps it will convince people that volentary action works better then taxation.

Tracy

Russell Kanning

tracysaboe

Michael Fisher