• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What if we're rounding ourselves up?

Started by memenode, July 26, 2009, 02:48 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

The Free State Project:   "a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes."

It just doesn't quite fit....

JonM

replace "mindless jerks" with something else, "first" with "last," and "when" with "before" and it'll fit.

Lloyd Danforth

Probably still be 'bitching' about each other on the busride.

Lloyd Danforth

Sorry, just finisher a Robert Parker novel :blush:

We will probably continue to complain about each other on the busride.

memenode

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 26, 2009, 07:22 PM NHFT
memenode

I see you have a reference to 1984 in your signature.

I think that is telling in your fear of the draconian crackdown.

I think Brave New World is closer to what we are dealing with...

Here is a short comparison I found
QuoteSocial critic Neil Postman contrasts the worlds of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World in the foreword of his 1985 book Amusing Ourselves to Death. He writes:
What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

I like that contrast and it definitely seems like Huxley is closer to what's actually happening in reality. On one hand being drowned with pleasure seems more frustrating than being drowned with fear, but on the other hand at least in a world drowned with pleasure we can try using pleasure to get our points across (which is why I'm fan of using entertainment like movies to promote liberty).

There's one thing though about being drowned with pleasure that could be fatal for us. It is easier for the state to make the news about a clamp down on FSP look irrelevant like "just another conflict somewhere far away I don't care about.. let's get back to having FUN!!" Until of course they come for them too.  ::)

K. Darien Freeheart

If the government people are that organized and powerful, and the people watching them are that apathetic, we've all already lost. Since there's no liberty to be gained in that world, you might as well die surrounded by like-minded friends. Even with the whole "emminent death" thing, I still can't figure out a better place to be than New Hampshire.

David

Paranoia paralyzes.  I agree with many of the comments here. 

Jim Johnson

Quote from: David on July 27, 2009, 08:54 PM NHFT
Paranoia paralyzes.  I agree with many of the comments here. 

You can be the first to come clean by admitting which Government Agency your from. 

There is probably a lot of people here from foreign governments too.

Lloyd Danforth

Pat K

Hungarian secret service.

Oop's did I type that?

memenode

EthanLeeVita

Pat K

liftsboxes

When I listen to music, I'm much more likely to pick "A Country Boy Can Survive" out of my playlist than "Blaze of Glory," but I do own both songs.

Russell Kanning

the crackdown's coming
if you think we are too concentrated ... then stand up to the man from a distance
the important part is not cooperating with evil ... not the location or timing .... actually the timing is important ... now!