• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What about protecting others ?

Started by CJS, July 27, 2009, 12:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CJS

After my post in another thread I started to wonder about a few things and this forum is probably the best place to get honest answers.

I unknowingly have had a personal nap my whole life , never heard the term before coming here though. I grew up in an incredibly violent home ( youngest of five boys ), and just developed a distaste for hurting people as a child  .

My conscious has always told me it is ok to stand up for someone  being bullied ... but many of my core values have been challenged in the few months I have been lurking around here and reading the discussion of those that have actually  been living a life of peaceful disobedience  .

So here is what I am wondering , what are everyone's "lines in the sand" when dealing with aggressive and likely violent behavior that is directed at some one else . I have sometimes been told that getting involved in stopping a fight / assault  is none of my business .... but I guess it's in my nature to want to help . Does looking out for strangers make me a collectivist ?

cathleeninnh

Only if you believe everyone should be forced to look out for others.

doobie

I'll put my foot down for family or friends.  A random person I'll try, but I won't put my life in danger for them.

Kat Kanning

I've come between people I knew and people who were about to punch them twice.  No one got hurt, and I didn't use violence.  Once I was with Jaqeboy and we saw an older man beating the crap out of a young man.  We pulled over and Jack stopped the situation, again without the use of violence on his part.

I don't think it's collectivist...it's just treating people like you'd like to be treated.

K. Darien Freeheart

The ZAP says what is ethical, now what is the best thing to do. The unwritten part of the ZAP is the ownership of responsibility.

If you are in a situation that requires violence to resolve and the consent of the victim is less than clear, I'd say do what you think you need to do. If you turn out to be wrong, pay the price for it. Don't pretend that you doing what you thought was right somehow absolves you from doing wrong. I can think of all kinds of absurd situations to illustrate exactly what I mean, but I'll let your imagination fill in the gaps.

EthanLeeVita

I wouldn't say you have an obligation to protect others, but I don't see why you, as a personal decision, could not decide to protect others. Kevin's comments are also relevant, but I want to clarify this point about obligation(resulting in people violating the NAP to force people to protect others) and personal decisions. It is precisely because of this that I, and I suspect many others, are against intervention abroad. It is not because I don't want to help(ignoring whether our(U.S.) help is really help or just messing with others' lives), its because I don't want to be forced to help.

Lloyd Danforth

This is simple 'Golden Rule' stuff.

CJS

First off , thanks to all who responded ... karma for everyone  ;D .

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on July 28, 2009, 05:44 AM NHFT
This is simple 'Golden Rule' stuff.

The thing is , it is a bit more complicated . All of us would stand firm for loved ones but have different levels for strangers . I know it boils down to personal choices and just wanted to get some opinions here , and did get some food for thought . Looking back I have risked my life for strangers , but wonder if I have that right if it causes duress of financial trouble for my family

Quote from: Kevin Dean on July 27, 2009, 04:05 PM NHFT
The ZAP says what is ethical, now what is the best thing to do. The unwritten part of the ZAP is the ownership of responsibility.   

Could some one suggest a book or website that discuss ZAP / NAP ? Both of these terms are new to me . The book lists here are great but not content specific .

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 27, 2009, 01:27 PM NHFT
  Once I was with Jaqeboy and we saw an older man beating the crap out of a young man.  We pulled over and Jack stopped the situation, again without the use of violence on his part.

Kat and Jaqeboy sound like my kind of people  8) . To be fair , all the regular members here are insightful and a joy to " listen " too . I am really grateful for Dave's vids for directing me to these forums .

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteCould some one suggest a book or website that discuss ZAP / NAP ?

I'm not sure I have a book on the subject. I mean, it's a really, really simple premise. Don't initiate the use of force. The definition of "force" and "initiate" are debated in libertarian circles ad nauseum and while I could give you fifty books about the implications of one person or another's interpretation of it, they tend to address society based on the NAP, not the NAP itself.

Pat McCotter

Here is our very own Brian Wright expounding on the (S)NAP (Sacred Non-Aggression Principle) as he calls it.

His book on the subject.