• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Schism!

Started by Mark_FTL, August 09, 2009, 01:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_FTL

I have been bothered for some time about some activist's refusal to vote. I have had multiple discussions with different people on this subject and I find all of their arguments flawed. This post is not intended to be an opportunity to debate me online regarding the subject, as I find online debates to be an inefficient way to convince people of things. If you wish to discuss the issue, I have a nationally syndicated radio show, where you can wow the world with your staggering logic. This is also not an indictment against those who didn't vote in a particular election for some reason or other, nor is it meant to say that you should vote for the people that I say you should vote for. The intent is to show those that advocate and disciple not voting as a solution to the problem of tyranny how other activists feel and think about about their actions.

I will no longer lend my support to the activism of activists that refuse to vote to protect their friends and neighbors from the aggressions of the government.

Certainly, I have not been the most active of activists. Perhaps, my participation will not be missed, but it can be shown conclusively that not voting perpetuates the system of tyranny. I would further contended that speaking out against this small act alienates other activists, demoralizes them, angers them and could possibly result in a schism from which the liberty movement in New Hampshire will not recover. If you disagree with my assertions, please reference how you feel about my bolded statement. I believe that any and all claims that can be made on the side of those who wish not to vote, can be made of the side of my bolded statement. However you might feel regarding my statement is how other activist, who are working very hard, feel about your refusal to support them by the small act of voting.

This is an object lesson. I am not forswearing friendship with any activist that won't vote. I love many people that do this and believe them to be great activist. I just in good conscience can not support their activism.

This is a thought process in the making and I am believe myself to be open to input, but don't expect long posts from me.

thinkliberty

If only the activists in NH would have voted against Obama... It would have changed everything! (Not!)

If FTL is not going to support activists that refuse to vote, then I have no interest in listening to FTL anymore. I will pick another podcast that is more activist and internet friendly.

Have fun voting. -- It's gotten you where you are today.

I am not going to legitimize institutionalized violence by playing along in their "elections." I don't think an elected "official" has the right to vote on laws or taxes. I don't think they have the right to use violence against peaceful people because some idiot got some votes.

Your whole system is a sham.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQEQ7qHvgM

Tom Sawyer

Hey Mark I still love you, even after your fatwah.  ;)

I have never voted in a political race... I have worked on campaigns, helped create votes from others...

To me, the registration with the government was not a good value compared to the infinitesimal chance of getting the guy I wanted elected.

Little Owl

Refusing to vote out of protest is idiotic.  It accomplishes nothing and, if the voting is even somewhat honest, deprives the liberty movement of key voices.

Even if you think the system is corrupt beyond repair, there is still value in participating, if for no other reason than to reach others.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Little Owl on August 09, 2009, 02:52 PM NHFT
Refusing to vote out of protest is idiotic.  It accomplishes nothing and, if the voting is even somewhat honest, deprives the liberty movement of key voices.

Even if you think the system is corrupt beyond repair, there is still value in participating, if for no other reason than to reach others.

I will wear my "Idiot" badge with pride.

dalebert

You guys are breaking the rules. He said not to argue here. You're supposed to call into FTL.

thinkliberty

Quote from: dalebert on August 09, 2009, 03:20 PM NHFT
You guys are breaking the rules. He said not to argue here. You're supposed to call into FTL.

I no longer listen to FTL

MengerFan

Ok, so I don't vote.So now Mark won't support what I support. I support Free Talk Live. So now Mark has to quit Free Talk Live.

Lloyd Danforth

You are never going to see Liberty in your lifetime if you don't do every practical thing to advance it. There are many opportunities where voting is a reasonable strategy in NH,like Grafton.

Several libertarians were elected or returned to the state legislature in 2008!  When has that ever happened?  Can you tell me absolutely that there is no chance of significant influence by Freestaters in the state government in a relative few short years? Don't you think its worth showing up once a year to take part in the experiment?

thinkliberty

What laws have those libertarians in the state legislature repealed? What laws have they passed?

Puke

Quote from: MengerFan on August 09, 2009, 03:38 PM NHFT
Ok, so I don't vote.So now Mark won't support what I support. I support Free Talk Live. So now Mark has to quit Free Talk Live.

[HEAD EXPLODES]

Vitruvian

Quote from: Mark_FTL
I will no longer lend my support to the activism of activists that refuse to vote to protect their friends and neighbors from the aggressions of the government.

Objection.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: thinkliberty on August 09, 2009, 04:18 PM NHFT
What laws have those libertarians in the state legislature repealed? What laws have they passed?
What change has any Frestater made? Did you think this would happen overnight?

Friday

I think that the political system is immoral and corrupt.  But I still vote for the lesser of evils when given the opportunity.  I don't believe that doing so "legitimizes" the system, just like I don't believe that my shooting someone who attacks me "legitimizes" gun violence.  The system will be there whether I vote or not.  In a state as small as New Hampshire, one vote really can make a difference.  If I had the link handy, I'd post the article about how the town of Merrimack defeated some budget thing for either 6 or 7 figures by one vote.  Two Free Staters, a married couple, participated in that vote and both voted against it.

I don't listen to FTL; somebody else call in and remind Mark that he's hot.    :)

thinkliberty

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 09, 2009, 05:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: thinkliberty on August 09, 2009, 04:18 PM NHFT
What change has any Frestater made? Did you think this would happen overnight?

Libertarians have been voting since the 70's and government has become more and more violent.

How long do you think it will take to end institutionalized violence with voting?