• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A good Realtor in Concord?

Started by FTL_Ian, September 27, 2005, 01:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Thanks HeyDuke.  I looked at that website, and I must say that http://mlspulse.com is better.  Easy, powerful search, with a nice little service to keep sending you new properties within specs.

I don't know if I'd trust the agent who's representing the property to be my agent as well.  That sounds shifty to me...

Heyduke

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 02, 2005, 03:57 PM NHFT
Thanks HeyDuke.  I looked at that website, and I must say that http://mlspulse.com is better.  Easy, powerful search, with a nice little service to keep sending you new properties within specs.

I don't know if I'd trust the agent who's representing the property to be my agent as well.  That sounds shifty to me...

it actually protects you as they are bound to full disclosure if they represent you, whereas a realtor acting solely for the Seller needn't do so.

Dreepa

Quote from: Heyduke on November 02, 2005, 04:00 PM NHFT
Thanks HeyDuke.? I looked at that website, and I must say that http://mlspulse.com is better.? Easy, powerful search, with a nice little service to keep sending you new properties within specs.

I don't know if I'd trust the agent who's representing the property to be my agent as well.? That sounds shifty to me...

it actually protects you as they are bound to full disclosure if they represent you, whereas a realtor acting solely for the Seller needn't do so.

'full disclosure in their eyes'

Even though you might save some money and time I wouldn't recommend it unless you have down a great inspection... Also since you are coming up to NH to do it you might want to get your own agent.

Heyduke

Quote from: Dreepa on November 03, 2005, 07:56 AM NHFT
Quote from: Heyduke on November 02, 2005, 04:00 PM NHFT

'full disclosure in their eyes'

Even though you might save some money and time I wouldn't recommend it unless you have down a great inspection... Also since you are coming up to NH to do it you might want to get your own agent.

Don't recommend what?  I don't understand. 

If you are purchasing real estate, then you are a fool to not have your own inspection done. 

If you are going to require an Agent, then find one with a listing that you like. 

You have to sign a contract with a realtor in NH (if not purchasing FSBO)--it protects their commission if nothing else.  What I am saying here is that you should ALWAYS request a Buyer's Agent agreement.  I know that many in the FSP are suspicious of laws and borderline paranoid, but that does not preclude one from working within their framework (at present and for major transactions like RE deals), but he Buyer's Agent agreement WILL protect your interests.  The realtor gets the same commission, so unless the Seller is his cousin, he has no obligation to the Seller that supercedes the Buyer's Agent agreement. 

Do with this what you will--or nothing at all.  I have dealt with numerous transactions in NH, and have churned through a good dozen realtors if I found them to not represent my interests or even if I found them too pushy.  Realtors are a resource--not a future spouse--you don't trust 'em, then ditch 'em. 

Dreepa

I wouldn't use the same agent as the the seller.
What do you gain?

Heyduke

I know you do not want to agree with me here, and I truly am not pushing any agenda--merely proferring advice. 

So you want to buy a house? 

Option 1--You go out and look up listings on your own.  You identify a property that you wish to look closer at.  You contact the Listing Agent and deal with them at face value, with the Listing Agent maintaining their Seller's Agent relationship with the Seller of the property.  They are then not obligated to do anything for you except try and get you to buy the place. 

Opiton 2--You go out and look up listings on your own.  You identify a property that you wish to look closer at.  You contact a Real Estate Agent and enter into a Buyer's Agent Agreement.  This Buyer's Agent will now do your bidding by contacting the Seller's Agent and they will have their little Real Estate Agent pow-wow.  The commissions end up being split between the BA and SA, and you presume that the BA will be able to handle the SA and obtain full disclosure on your behalf. 

Option 3--You go out and look up listings on your own.  You identify a property that you wish to look closer at.  You contact the Listing Agent and before enquiring about a specific property, you ask them if they would be willing to represent you as a Buyer's Agent.  They will say yes.  You then meet and sign-off on the agreement.  Then you tell them that you would like to know more about one of their listings, and they get so damned excited about not having to share commissions that they do not realize that they are now obligated to represent YOU primarily, rather than the Seller.  Now you have only 1 person between you and the Seller of the property, with you holding the cards (in premise). 

Every time I do this--I am told directly--that I am one of the only people that they have met that thinks to do this. 

I refuse to possess or manifest victim mentality, and realtors are just as bad as attorneys and sales people when they smell a rube. 

Do with it what you will...or not at all...

cathleeninnh

How can 1 person contractually represent both parties to the transaction? Sound like a conflict of interest.

Cathleen

Heyduke

without seeing the actual contract, I would have to say that my usage of 'Seller's Agent' is probably a misnomer and that the better term is 'Listing Agent'. 

look at it this way--a Listing Agent doesn't go around cold calling with listings, but a Buyer's Agent actively represents the Buyer

the wording of the contracts are not likely in conflict, which would make the Buyer's Agent agreement more 'powerful'

again--I do not have a contract in front of me and I am not a realtor--I just know what has worked for me

Heyduke

here is the State RE Commission's website:  http://www.nh.gov/nhrec/

under 'Consumer Information' > 'Important Consumer Advisory': 

QuoteEven though real estate professionals must always present properties honestly and accurately under the law, you must specifically hire an agent - using a written hiring contract - before that person legally owes you a duty of loyalty. Otherwise, that agent may ultimately be hired by a seller, and have a legal duty to disclose to that seller any information that you have revealed

Until any agent actually contracts to represent your interests in a real estate transaction, do not disclose any information to him/her that you would not want a seller to possibly know.

Dreepa

Quote from: Heyduke on November 03, 2005, 02:13 PM NHFT
I know you do not want to agree with me here, and I truly am not pushing any agenda--merely proferring advice.?

So you want to buy a house??

Already bought and moved here.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Dreepa on November 03, 2005, 03:50 PM NHFT
I know you do not want to agree with me here, and I truly am not pushing any agenda--merely proferring advice.?

I still can't believe that you've lived here for 2 months and I didn't even know about it!   :o ;D

FTL_Ian

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on November 05, 2005, 06:40 PM NHFT
I still can't believe that you've lived here for 2 months and I didn't even know about it!   :o ;D

Heh... I've thought about just moving up and then a couple weeks after settling in just announcing on the show, "Oh, yeah.. we're in NH now."   ;D

jgmaynard

Don't forget (whoever is interested) to give Bert Cox a call 1-888-HOUSE-58 or 603-225-0097.... He's a realtor who buys and sells without a commission. He makes his money through investments and improvements. You can also visit him at www.1house.com or www.nhreia.com . We sold our house through him and could not be happier. Plus, I'm his webdesigner, so the sites ROCK! lol

JM

Dreepa

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on November 05, 2005, 06:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on November 03, 2005, 03:50 PM NHFT

I still can't believe that you've lived here for 2 months and I didn't even know about it!? ?:o ;D
I was a stealth mover!!
Actually we moved in and then we went on vacation right afterwards.  Tomorrow will be exactly 2 months since we closed on the house. Today is 2 months since I saw the house for the first time! :o

Kat Kanning

Today, Russell's been here a year :)  We've been married a year today.  And they said it wouldn't last!