• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Selective Service

Started by orion, August 18, 2009, 05:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

orion

Hey everyone, I am faced with a problem. The selective service sent me a letter today because I did not register when I turned 18. My dad asked me if I was going to fill it out, and I said no. He told me that he is tired of my civil disobedience "bullshit" and that there is no reason to make waves.

"You have to Alex IT'S THE LAW!"

He told me that if I did not fill it out he would not pay for college. He is perfectly within his rights to do that as it is his money, and I am not entitled to any of it. So, what should I do? I could:
not do it, move out, and never talk to them again or,
do it, go to college, and never talk to them again.

What do you guys think?

Lloyd Danforth

You could move out, continue to talk to them and try to get a job where you can learn how to serve your fellow man by providing services and products that he needs.  You can always take night courses if you feel the need for a degree or just learn whatever interests you.

K. Darien Freeheart

I mean no disrespect, but the frequency that issues like this come up and you seek advice from other people is all too frequent for me to think you simply want advice. You've already repeatedly "made nice" with your dad so that he'll continue to dangle that college money in front of you. You're already making plans to come to New Hampshire FOR college so it seem pretty obvious to me that you value his financial support.

I almost feel as if you require support for cutting ties with your dad as if you want someone to egg you on because you can't bring yourself to do it on your own. If you don't wanna deal with you dad, don't. Understand that you can't avoid consiquences no matter WHAT decision you make, stand up and make a decision and move on.

jerry

Was your father planning to pay cash for your college education?

Perhaps the reason your father wants you to fill out the form is buried somewhere in federal regulations that prohibit college loans and grants to students who do not sign up for SS.

Free libertarian

Buy a parrot.  Line bottom of cage with form.  Run away from home and
a) join the circus
b) do what Lloyd said

AntonLee

I think you should just tell your dad no thanks, that if he wants you to die in some third world country (including this one) then you'll take that as meaning you're unwelcome.

Find a job, save money, move out.  Make it clear your intentions and make it clear it is because that you believe that you father would like you to be a hero, one that comes home from war with medals and a nice flag draped box so they'll always know where to find you.

I told my father the last time he brought up me going into the service. . . "dad, I know you were a dumbass and joined up, but you didn't do shit. . you sat around in the post office.  You took more from the service than you gave to it.  You're no fucking hero.  You're damn lucky you didn't get sent to Vietnam because your fatbody would have been a bullet catcher and I'd not be here.  So, if you want me to die in Iraq, just say so and I'll move out."  Obviously, I had been practicing this speech for a long time.

after a few minutes of him calling me a 'confused individual' I ran over to the butcher block, grabbed a knife, handed it towards him handle first and told him to just kill me if he wanted me dead so bad.  I threw in some more "c'mon hero" "c'mon soldier"  "let's go marine kill the enemy" stuff. 

He never mentioned that crap again.  I remember hearing him cry and sobbing to my mom that because of his fucked up genes that his son was such a failure.  I know why he was really crying, and it had nothing to do with his dear only son being such a crazy anarchist type.

Sometimes I think that if you just come out and let them know that they will lose you if they continue this hurtful tactic, and then back it up with a real threat to leave them forever, you might see some changes.  It had worked for me.   I'm not usually one to jump to such an insane step. . . the whole thing was a long time coming.

Moebius Tripp

You are only issued one biological father and mother.  If you are fortunate enough to be loved and raised by both, and they weren't physically or sexually abusive to you, I recommend that you don't sever ties.  Nearly everyone is a statist.  Those of us that study Austrian economics in our spare time or proclaim the moral superiority of Anarcho-Pickyerflavor are as common as altruist lobbyists on K street.  Logic, maturity, and resolve can win the day with your dad, I'd wager.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Free libertarian on August 18, 2009, 08:57 PM NHFT
Buy a parrot.  Line bottom of cage with form.  Run away from home and
a) join the circus
b) do what Lloyd said

I know I shouldn't be laughing but damn this was funny!  :biglaugh:

On a more serious note:

I like the advice from Lloyd and Moebius, everyone else gave good advice too! :)   Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

Lloyd Danforth

Come to NH and move in with Rainey!

Sam A. Robrin

You're legal now, old enough in the eyes of the power sructure to be on your own, so come here where you obviously want to be, get work, save, go to school if you're of a mind to, and take the time to decide just what you want to do.
For myself, I cut off all contact with my parents when I was 30, and my only regret (aside from the fact that they made it necessary, which was out of my hands) has been that I didn't do it a whole lot sooner. 

Sam A. Robrin

Incidentally, have a listen to some of the stuff that was going around when I was your age . . .:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/11/the_hyperpatrio.html

The Lundborg piece should have you running for the Maalox . . . (and does anyone know whether he was really ever a spokesman for the LIbertarian Party, or is that just some smearing supposition?)

TackleTheWorld

D Stewart

Quote from: orion on August 18, 2009, 05:45 PM NHFT
I said no

Perhaps a more productive conversation would have involved your telling him why you refuse to register.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: D Stewart on August 19, 2009, 12:03 PM NHFT
Perhaps a more productive conversation would have involved your telling him why you refuse to register.

In my experience, such "productive conversations" are about as effective as trying to explain to a wild animal that it shouldn't eat you.
     Pop wants power.  He can't come out and say that, but the indications are unmistakable.  If he gets his way with Selective "Service," he'll go for the gun issue (as mentioned on Tuesday's FTL), and if he's emboldened when he gets his way on that one, he'll immediately move on to something else.  His goal, however obfuscated--probably even from himself--is total control, and every compromise will only advance him toward that end.
     Ian made the same point Tuesday night that a conversation is in order spelling out exactly what will be expected of Alex in the future if he capitulates on the issue of the SS*.  Libertarians are always practicing this form of projection, one largely ignored in the psychology texts: just because you are truthful, honorable, and introspective enough to know your own mind doesn't mmean that your opponent necessarily is also.
     Talking it out will be like teaching the proverbial pig to sing: it only wastes your time, and annoys the pig . . .

Fluff and Stuff

Maybe negotiate with your parents?  Try to get them to do something in addition to helping pay for your school in exchange for you filling out the form.