• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Announcing the death of the liberty movement" or Topless Arrest!

Started by K. Darien Freeheart, August 23, 2009, 01:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

Undoubtedly pissing into the wind, but....   ::lloyds::

I previously posted on the Free Keene forum that I felt this kind of activism is a bad idea because it's a law that's actually *supported* by the majority of our fellow Americans, for whatever reason, and therefore a poor choice for civil disobedience. 

By coincidence, this morning the radio morning show that I listen to while commuting to work every day had a call-in survey on the following subject: Should kids be allowed to take their shirts off in public?  This is a radio program geared towards a young, educated Boston-area listening audience, and the three hosts are all fairly young and extremely liberal (they lurve Obama).  Anyway, there was overwhelming consensus: it's "weird" and "uncomfortable" if CHILDREN go out in public without shirts on.  The only debate was over exactly where the cut-off point should be: 2 years old, 3 years old, etc.  They were very clear on the fact that they were talking about young children, with no possible sexual connotation involved (unless you're a perv, which they were adamant they are against).  Every single caller agreed with them.

I'm not saying I agree with this position; I don't.  It's just a demonstration of the mindset of the general public amongst whom we live, and a possible indication of the odds of success of a campaign to gain public acceptance for women to go topless in public.

Now, as Russell and Miracle Max would say, Have fun storming the castle!   :horse:

KBCraig

There's an amazing double standard that allows extreme crudeness to be spoken, but the item must never be seen

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=19008.msg307370

We're approaching a strange twist on Victorianism, which was probably the sexually kinkiest period in history, but pianos had floor-length coverings, lest young men become aroused at the sight of a piano leg.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on August 27, 2009, 02:15 PM NHFT
Now, as Russell and Miracle Max would say, Have fun storming the castle!   :horse:
we just watched that again last night ... maybe to get up my courage, i need to watch man of la mancha next :)

cathleeninnh

I like civil dis that gets the public behind you. This didn't do that, but being a thorn in the side of cops is always a pleasure to watch.

Cathleen

Dave Ridley

It has gotten 15,000 youtube hits behind her.  it doesn't need majority support from the viewers, just their viewing.  the rest will fall into place, as bazillions of watchers become suddenly interested in what we're up to, some will move here.

Ogre

Quote from: cathleeninnh on August 27, 2009, 05:13 PM NHFT
I like civil dis that gets the public behind you. This didn't do that, but being a thorn in the side of cops is always a pleasure to watch.

Cathleen

Couldn't have said it better.

Russell Kanning

dalebert

I like civil dis that gets the public behind you. This didn't do that...

All the response I've heard so far has been positive. The people on the scene were all supportive. One lady even showed up at the police station with some RSAs she'd printed on her home computer. She wanted to talk to the officers about how it was a wrongful arrest because they quoted something incorrectly. Later I was chatting about it at the Community Kitchen on a coffee break and every single person there, including two Mormon missionaries, agreed that she had done nothing wrong and it was ridiculous to arrest her.

KBCraig

In forums discussing this, I've seen two general responses.

One: "She did nothing wrong." Certainly most of us here agree with that, and many more of the general public agree with it, than would care to admit it in public.

Two: "It shouldn't be illegal, but if she broke the law..." Most people with that opinion quickly come around when they see that she didn't break the law (no genitals, no "gross lewdness").

Friday

Quote from: dalebert on August 27, 2009, 10:26 PM NHFT
I like civil dis that gets the public behind you. This didn't do that...

All the response I've heard so far has been positive. The people on the scene were all supportive. One lady even showed up at the police station with some RSAs she'd printed on her home computer. She wanted to talk to the officers about how it was a wrongful arrest because they quoted something incorrectly. Later I was chatting about it at the Community Kitchen on a coffee break and every single person there, including two Mormon missionaries, agreed that she had done nothing wrong and it was ridiculous to arrest her.

Quote from: KBCraig on August 28, 2009, 02:21 AM NHFT
In forums discussing this, I've seen two general responses.

One: "She did nothing wrong." Certainly most of us here agree with that, and many more of the general public agree with it, than would care to admit it in public.

Two: "It shouldn't be illegal, but if she broke the law..." Most people with that opinion quickly come around when they see that she didn't break the law (no genitals, no "gross lewdness").

Well, that's great news.  Perhaps the public is more ready to embrace a Live and Let Live attitude on this issue than I thought.

I remain a bit shocked at the uptightness of the DJ's on the radio yesterday.  Seriously, a 4-year-old little girl can't take her shirt off if it's hot and humid outside??  Actually, I can remember taking my own shirt off when I was either 5 or 6 and living in Maryland, which is a freakin' swamp in the summertime, and some "helpful" adult told me I was too old to do so.  Even at that age, I was pissed.

dalebert

It's funny how much the conversation at the Community Kitchen mirrored some of the conversation on Free Keene. Even before I said it, others were saying "They're for feeding babies!" and "It's the same as a man. They're just shaped differently." and "It's not fair to treat women differently than men." and so on. Common sense stuph.

Oh, but her gun. Now THAT was a different story. The Mormon missionaries agreed with me on that as well though.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 27, 2009, 06:18 PM NHFT
It has gotten 15,000 youtube hits behind her.  it doesn't need majority support from the viewers, just their viewing.  the rest will fall into place, as bazillions of watchers become suddenly interested in what we're up to, some will move here.

Couldn't have said it better.

PorcAtHeart

Quote from: Kat Kanning on August 23, 2009, 09:00 PM NHFT
I think the Keene Police should henceforth be known as the Boob Police.

Or the "Holy Sh*tty I see Titty Committee?"

PorcAtHeart

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 27, 2009, 06:18 PM NHFT

It worked on me.  I've been a FSP lurker for a long time.  I just could never, ever picture myself living in the North East.

1) Cold
2) The birthplace of Liberty, where almost every Original State has now become the very Tyrants they once took up arms to oppose...  Disgusts me.

But find me a place where there are women who do something other than hide under a rock and collaborate with Big Brother...  I might just tolerate some snow for that.

I wanna shake that woman's hand.

Kat Kanning