• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Broken camera, is anyone in the camera repair business?

Started by Raineyrocks, August 23, 2009, 05:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Rick's camera didn't make it after his kayak accident.   It fell into the water, he dried it out with a hair dryer, it worked one time after that and now it's just not taking pictures anymore.  He said, the LCD screen still works but when he goes to take pictures, nothing shows up.   

It's a Cannon Powershot A95.   We're trying to find out if it's worth repairing or if eventually we should just replace it when we can, if prices came down from when I bought it for him.

jerry

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on August 23, 2009, 06:58 PM NHFT
They're selling on Ebay for 45-80 dollars.
But maybe before you next canoe trip you should get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-WP-DC50-Underwater-housing-for-Powershot-A95_W0QQitemZ190330372738QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Accessories?hash=item2c50930282&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
:)

Thanks, that was so nice of you!  :D

I bought him a kayaking accessory bag but yeah, maybe your right, I needed to be more specific for him.  ::) :)

Lloyd Danforth

When my old Panasonic was new it cost $400.00.  After a couple of years I started finding the same model on Ebay for about 50 bucks.  I bought about 6 more over a few years for as little as $8.  Identical cameras. I figured the software was already in the computer and, I 'knew' how to operate the camera so, I stuck with it.  I gave one to each of my sisters. I have spares.  When one stops working, I toss it. I have an extra to loan. So, with the exception of carrying around a 5 pound digital camera, I'm happy with with the way I did it.  I never got one that had anything wrong with it.

turbo

It might be a long shot, but you could try to see if Canon will fix it for free - there is a recall on your model for a faulty image sensor connection when product is used in "high-humidity environments"   ;D 

I know about this because it just happened to my 4 year old Canon camera - I called them and they are sending me a UPS call tag to send it in for free repair. They even pay shipping both ways. I assume if the problem wasn't covered by the recall they'd just send it back to you, but you'd probably want to double check on that.

Good luck!

CANON SERVICE NOTICE RECALL

Raineyrocks

Quote from: turbo on August 24, 2009, 01:27 PM NHFT
It might be a long shot, but you could try to see if Canon will fix it for free - there is a recall on your model for a faulty image sensor connection when product is used in "high-humidity environments"   ;D 

I know about this because it just happened to my 4 year old Canon camera - I called them and they are sending me a UPS call tag to send it in for free repair. They even pay shipping both ways. I assume if the problem wasn't covered by the recall they'd just send it back to you, but you'd probably want to double check on that.

Good luck!

Thanks, this is so great, your awesome!  :-*

Raineyrocks

Quote from: turbo on August 24, 2009, 01:27 PM NHFT

Good luck!

Update and I love you for posting this!  ;D

I contacted Canon and they "repaired" the "recall"!  Excellent customer service, they even polished Rick's camera and fixed some other little things, paid for the postage, they were excellent and so are you!
Thanks tons! :D

jerry

Lloyd Danforth

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on October 14, 2009, 10:44 PM NHFT
So, did you order the waterproof case yet? ;)

Nope, not yet.  Rick doesn't have any kayak trips planned and I figure that would make an excellent Xmas present.  :D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 15, 2009, 06:14 AM NHFT
Just hide the Kayak!

;D   I wish I could sometimes but he's got to learn his own lessons, he's just lucky about the recall this time.  Oh yeah, and that he didn't get seriously injured. :P