• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Out of the system activism

Started by David, August 23, 2009, 08:42 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

It seems to be more frequent in Manchester than in the past.  I would love to see it grow.  You don't have to be an anarchist, (many in keene are not) and you don't have to do an either or approach, abandoning politics, or vice versa. 
I would love to see a day when there is a 'Free Manchester' forum and or blog.   :)  
You can find examples of what others have done in the civil disobedience section of this forum.  There is also the inevitable endless debate and perfectionisms, etc.  While a bit of planning is prolly good, many activists plan themselves into inactivity.  Do stuff to inspire people.  Be friendly, principled, but don't worry about being perfect, as humans were not meant to be gods.
Practical concerns are a good idea, such as pay attention to the moral high ground, the camera is your best friend, and keep it decentralized, this is best done by encouraging all to focus on an idea rather than a person.  
Good luck.   :D

bigmike

There's some talk about a FreeManch.com and possibly a FreeNewHampshire.com that we could put the Keene and Manch blogs under along with other cities.

FIJA outreach is in the works if we can get the bureaucrats to let us know when jury selection will take place, we're looking into doing an OC litter pickup at Valley Street cemetery and are just waiting to get a response from Friends of the Valley Cemetery.

I've got this Government to Charity thing I'm going to start doing in a month or so where I go to city council when they vote on spending measures and offer to help them raise donations for projects rather than tax people. I'm leaning toward making this more of a cold-weather activity so it won't happen right away.

And by the end of September I'll have filled in a pot hole or gotten arrested trying. Getting the road crew guys to demonstrate the "proper" way to do it has been more of a challenge than I thought but I may bribe a few of them with beer and see if they'll take me on a ride along so I can learn.

Edit: It's important to me that I learn their way of doing it so if I'm successful they won't have to waste tax dollars coming out and "repairing" my repair, which would likely discourage residents from supporting me.

I've also heard of an open carry container civil disobedience.

I think Manch Vegas is gonna close out the summer strong.

bigmike

And while I'm thinking about it, did you know if Robin Hood came to Manchester he/she would be foiled by windows?

I'm digging on this cute waitress the other day and she excuses herself to put money in the parking meter. When she returned I asked her what she thought about a good samaritan putting money into expired meters.

She proceeds to explain that if someone were to put the printed receipt from the meter under the windshield wiper she would still get a ticket because the receipt has to be put on the dashboard.

This is unacceptable to me and, in my opinion, ripe for a challenge. I can't very well open a car door of someone's vehicle but I can't be a good neighbor and help someone in need.

I'm thinking about paying anyway and leaving a note with my contact info so if they happen to get a ticket anyway and would like to challenge it they could call me to testify in court. The meter receipt comes with a tear off piece to keep with you separate from the piece that goes on the dashboard.

I don't drive so if anyone's interested in intentionally fighting a parking ticket I'll be your Robin Hood.

Ron Helwig

Maybe put a note on the windshield with the receipt claiming that you are the owner and locked your keys in the car so cannot put it inside on the dash.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: bigmike on August 23, 2009, 09:49 PM NHFT
There's some talk about a FreeManch.com and possibly a FreeNewHampshire.com that we could put the Keene and Manch blogs under along with other cities. \

Frankly, I've been wondering what has taken so damn long.  Free Keene is a proven model at this point (since 2007!) - I'm amazed what you're suggesting hasn't yet occurred.  I think the movement there was waiting for you, BigMike.   :D

dalebert

AntonLee

it's definitely time for a FreeManchvegas!  I also believe that there is a man, and his name is Big Mike.

dalebert

What the heck happened to the YouTube videos I embedded?

dalebert

Quote from: dalebert on August 31, 2009, 01:26 PM NHFT
What the heck happened to the YouTube videos I embedded?

I bet I hit preview and thought I had submitted it.

Anyway, Big Mike is HARDCORE, just like Bubbles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVHel7riDGg

bigmike

You guys give me too much credit. I'm getting a lot of help and support from the Manch Porcs. Without them none of this stuff would be happening.

And I don't know if I'm like Bubbles....

K. Darien Freeheart

Adam Mackler registered FreeManchester.com this past week. :D Could it be... Might... this... be... happening?

bigmike

Yep. Renniks and I have registered to start blogging. We're gonna work some kinks out of the system before Mackler takes it public, shouldn't be too long.

Now if I could only think of something warm and fuzzy to write about...