• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Nashua Weekly Liberty Discourse

Started by Ragnar76, August 23, 2009, 11:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar76

Social Sunday's Nashua has been replaced by The Nashua Weekly Liberty Discourse

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=120035834535&view=user#/group.php?gid=120035834535

The purpose of The Nashua Weekly Liberty Discourse is to provide a venue for liberty-minded citizens in the Greater Nashua and Southern New Hampshire area to exchange ideas, network with local activists, and to build, challenge, and strengthen their philosophical frameworks.

The group meets every Sunday from 11:30 to 12:30 at the Riverwalk Cakery & Coffeehouse in downtown Nashua. Though each conversation at each meetup can take on a life of its own, members of the Facebook group will be kept apprised of upcoming meetup topics.

Benefits to Attendees:

Learn to confidently and comprehensively counter any collectivist argument with pinpoint logic.

Read and reflect on great liberty books with like minded invididuals.

Learn about the U.S. and New Hampshire Constitutions, the Austrian School of Economics, the history of Liberty, and much more...ultimately applying these principles and ideas to current issues.

A great place to get to know local liberty friends and to stay up to speed on local activism events and initiatives.

Freshly brewed coffee in beautiful downtown Nashua.

The regular meetup (formerly Social Sunday's Nashua) has been moved back an hour to 11:30 based on popular demand.

Tentative Agenda:

8/30: History of Liberty

A look at the major events and people that shaped the liberty movement. John Locke, Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Lysander Spooner, just to name a few. (This could easily bleed into later discussions)

9/6: Fusionism: Libertarian and Conservative Coalitions

Can and should libertarians and conservatives work together? A historical look at the successes and pitfalls of fusionism.

9/13: Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand

An introduction to the basic premises of Objectivism, it's philosophical foundations, and the primary themes of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

9/20: Minarchism vs. Anarchism

Can a State ever stay small? Are there market solutions for roads, crime, and contracts? A look at the minarchist justifications for some level of government and the counterarguments, mostly from Murray Rothbard.

9/27: Great Books of Liberty

An overview of some of the celebrated works of the liberty movment:
Ayn Rand, Ludwig von Mises, Rose Wilder Lane, Murray Rothbard, Albert Jay Nock, Friedrich Hayek, Frederic Bastiat, Isabel Patterson, Milton Friedman, and many others

Due to the capacity limitation of Riverwalk, particularly during the winter, an alternative meetup location will need to be identified.

Humorrhoid

Can I join this group?

Do I need to bring a resume?

Can I just show up?

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Humorrhoid on September 08, 2009, 09:21 AM NHFT
Can I join this group?

Do I need to bring a resume?

Can I just show up?

You just park, see the big sign, walk through the door and show up.  You could PM Brett if you are concerned that you will be able to figure out in what area of the shop they are located.  This is one of the reoccurring events in Nashua, more than most parts of NH.

Ragnar76

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this one:

1. Absolutely you can join this group. Per the description it's open to liberty minded citizens in both the Nashua and the Southern NH area. Both the philosophy and the geography are intentionally broad.

2. Whether you're a complete newbie to the philosophy of liberty or whether you grew up in a libertarian library I think the discussions should have something for you. I try to keep the topics diverse and intriguing to most members.

3. Yes, just show up, preferably with some thoughts and/or questions on the day's topic, and jump right into a conversation.

Ragnar76

Per the FB group here's a list of potential meetup topics and associated # of sessions:

1. Activism: Inside vs. Outside the System (1)
2. Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek (2)
4. Discovery of Freedom by Rose Wilder Lane (2)
4. Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt (2)
5. U.S. Constitution (4)
6. N.H. Constitution (4)
7. Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle (1)
8. Business Cycle Application: Great Depression (1)
9. Business Cycle Application: Current and future credit bubble (1)
10. Money Part I: History of Exchange (1)
11. Money Part II: Institutional Framework, Fractional Reserve Banking (1)
12. Money Part III: Inflation, Asset Misallocation, Case for Commodity Std (1)
13. Social Metaphysics (1)
14. Making the Case for Liberty: Philosophy vs. Economics (1)
15. Ethical Ideals: Altruism vs. Self-Interest (1)
16. Countering Collectivst Arguments: Ethical (1)
17. Countering Collectivst Arguments: Practical (1)
18. Man, Economy, and State by Rothbard (3)
19. The Law by Bastiat (1)
20. Milton Friedman, Chicago School Economics Overview (1)
21. Libertarian/Austrian critique of Friedman, Chicago School (1)

Please feel welcome to add your recommendations for topics to discuss.

WaterTheTreeOfLiberty

Friday

Quote from: WaterTheTreeOfLiberty on March 26, 2010, 09:47 AM NHFT
is this still going on every week?
Yes.  Here is info on this weekend's event:

Event: Corie Whalen on "The Spirit of the Revolution"
What: Club/Group Meeting
Start Time: Sunday, March 28 at 12:00pm
End Time: Sunday, March 28 at 1:30pm
Where: The Peddler's Daughter

WaterTheTreeOfLiberty

is this something you guys like to open carry at?

Porcustein

I haven't seen anyone open carry at the Liberty Discourse yet.  I would recommend calling the restaurant first to see what their policy is regarding open carry.

MaineShark

Most businesses don't have any official policy on open carry.  It's mostly a non-issue, so there's been no reason to develop them.

Joe