• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Surprised

Started by PorcAtHeart, August 28, 2009, 03:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcAtHeart

I've been 'lurking' on the FSP for years.

I'm more than a little surprised to see so little effort to free 'ourselves' from the false burdens of Transportation and Housing, not just Government.

Is anyone interested in CHEAP Alternative Housing?  I've been studying Off The Grid Energy and Alternative Housing for 15+ years.  Lots of hippy pipe-dreams, but a lots of real science, too.

There is simply no reason to be paying monthly (or at all) for a place to live that meets or exceeds most modern standards.

Are there any Porcs in the same vein as myself?  Know anything about the Building Code Bureaucracy?  Have you guys reigned it in?

K. Darien Freeheart

So far, there's a few bubbles of what you're talking about.

My wife and I are living in a motorhome that will be partially solar powered, already has a generator and batteries and is "off the grid". I know one Porc who is solar-powered most of the time and sells energy "back" to the Grid since he doesn't have a battery bank yet.

There's the Bardo Project (http://bardoproject.com) that are looking at off-the-grid energy and sustainable farming as part of their path to freedom.

I'm involved in a project in the early planning stages that will focus on cheap, easy to deploy, full and partially self-contained housing using commodity (i.e. easy to procure, repurpose, swap) materials.

Keep in mind that there are about 750 FSP movers. Factor in capital sometimes needed to do some of these things and you'll realize why it's not yet a visible part of people's path to freedom, but there are many seeds already being planted and cultivated along that path. You're certainly welcome and encouraged to jump in and help if you like something, or start your own thing and invite others. I think it's one valuable subject.

PorcAtHeart

Earthbag homes would be a great way to accelerate just about everything in the FSP's interest.  Getting people to NH on the cheap.  Rent at a 2nd or 3rd world rate, but still live in the 1st.

Literally, dirt cheap; because that's what it is made of!  Can be earth-bermed like an earthship (as well as being passive-solar), but much less labor intensive.  A community like this could build a small city in a month, working part-time minimum-wage jobs.

I'm coming up for a visit, just not sure I can take the cold...  I've never touched snow, or even seen it in person.  And it STILL gets way too cold for my taste here.

With no mortgage or rent to pay, how much more effective, politically and socially, could a person become?  An entire community?

jerry

Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 28, 2009, 03:23 PM NHFT

Are there any Porcs in the same vein as myself?  Know anything about the Building Code Bureaucracy?  Have you guys reigned it in?

New Hampshire has a state building code.  Fortunately one and two-family homes are exempt.
Unfortunately most towns (except Grafton) have building and zoning codes which are stricter than the state code.
There is a state plumbing code, which says that if you have running water in the house you must have a state approved septic system.
There is also a state fire code which you must comply with if you have electric wiring.

There are a few porcs here who are totally off the grid.  (ok, ok some of them have propane refrigerators... sheesh, damn purists)

Here's a picture of the Earl of Thurman Road constructing his solar water heater.

PorcAtHeart

What about unincorporated areas?  I'm a country boy.  Even small towns make me feel dirty.

jerry

Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 29, 2009, 01:49 AM NHFT
What about unincorporated areas?  I'm a country boy.  Even small towns make me feel dirty.

This is not the West.  There are no available unincorporated areas.

But "town" may not mean what you think.  Where I came from (PA) these towns would be called townships.  There are built-up areas within the towns sometimes called "villages" but most of the "towns" are very rural, so country boys fit right in.

cathleeninnh

We have many people interested in such possibilities. But as Jerry pointed out, there is a well entrenched busybody network covering just about every inch of available land. As all humans do under pressure, we wiggle around, try this and that and ultimately find a comfortable position that lets us live relatively free from harassment. So there is a mishmash of different living approaches around the state. It is great to see all the different ways people are living.

Lots of doing, not as much online chatter.

KBCraig

Quote from: jerry on August 29, 2009, 08:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 29, 2009, 01:49 AM NHFT

This is not the West.  There are no available unincorporated areas.

But "town" may not mean what you think.  Where I came from (PA) these towns would be called townships.  There are built-up areas within the towns sometimes called "villages" but most of the "towns" are very rural, so country boys fit right in.

I like to describe NH "towns" as being like small counties. Most of the "town" isn't "in town" at all, and lays outside what most people would think of as the city limits.

PorcAtHeart

I'm still going to come up and see for myself, but it sounds like NH is behind the curve compared to AZ in the ways that matter most to me.

Coconut

The FSP is not about moving people to NH to go hide in the woods. Hiding in the woods is not pro-liberty activism. It's about moving to NH to dismantle the system and change the world.

PorcAtHeart

Well, that's a bit presumptive and insulting.  Great way to tell a person that they aren't welcome.  But to each their own.  I'm just an asocial person.  Maybe that is because I've been surrounded by entitled mobs of anti-constitutional people that I can't stand for my entire life.  Hence why I said I'm still coming up to have a look around.  Maybe 'my kind of people' does exist, and I'm not the only one.

But from the sound of it, NH may be WAY out of my price range.  If I can't snag an unimproved acre for 5K+/-, then it is most definitely off the list.

jerry

Coconut is a brash young man from Keene where they are mostly into civil disobedience.
We are hoping he becomes less abrasive as he matures.
If it annoys you, just put him on ignore.

A single acre for 5K will be difficult to find.  I've seen many properties for much less per acre, but they are usually 10+ acre lots.  Remember, the further north you go the lower the prices.

PorcAtHeart

I kinda like the brash and abrasive, but the presumptive is where the lack of maturity shows.  I was young once as well.  Grain of salt and all that.  Even if I did 'go hide in the woods,' NH is a tiny state, 20 minute drive to 'be useful.'  I drive 80 miles just for kicks.  And in a diesel 4cyl that runs on veg oil, gas prices be damned!  I can drive many thousands of miles before seeing a gas pump. I'd like to move that science and philosophy into my housing.

Guess I'll have to get in touch with some Building Inspectors.

Coconut

Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 29, 2009, 07:54 PM NHFT
I'm just an asocial person.

Me too. Clearly. I apologize for the way I come across.

Quote from: jerry on August 29, 2009, 10:08 PM NHFT
We are hoping he becomes less abrasive as he matures.

Whose we? You and my therapists?
Just wondering since you sound like you know a bit about me, but I don't remember who you are if we've met. For all I know we've had lots of conversations and I just don't know your forum name.

jerry

Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 29, 2009, 10:19 PM NHFT

Guess I'll have to get in touch with some Building Inspectors.

Sorry, I'm from Grafton; what's a Building Inspector?   ;D