• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Surprised

Started by PorcAtHeart, August 28, 2009, 03:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcAtHeart

Quote from: jerry on August 29, 2009, 11:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 29, 2009, 10:19 PM NHFT
Guess I'll have to get in touch with some Building Inspectors.
Sorry, I'm from Grafton; what's a Building Inspector?   ;D
I think I like Grafton.  But the State has certain requirements, it would seem.  The building methods I would employ are superior in many ways to 'onventional' building, but most bureaucrats are unfamiliar with it and prejudiced...  I appreciate the tip on where I should center my inquiries.

jerry

I think the most important line in the state building code
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/155-a/155-a-mrg.htm
is:VII. For any municipality which has not adopted an enforcement mechanism under RSA 674:51, the contractor of the building, building component, or structure shall notify the state fire marshal concerning the type of construction before construction begins excluding one- and 2-family dwellings.

So if you pick a town that as not adopted the code you have fewer problems to deal with.  As far as I know, Grafton is the only town south of the White mountains that qualifies.

Free libertarian

Come to Grafton, build what you like, we won't tell.   ;)

Fluff and Stuff

I know several dozen folks working on alternative housing.  I know even more that are into alternative transportation. 

PorcAtHeart

I've been browsing real estate sites, and I wonder if any quantity of land is available for less than $20,000 in a non-brutally-regulated building area.  That is 4x my budget.  Land that costs more than that is too densely populated to appeal to me, nor have I an desire to buy up a large portion of the state....  Just little chunk.  Am I asking too much?

Grafton being a place to look, but holy craptasticness batman, the prices are outrageous!

jerry

Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 31, 2009, 09:19 PM NHFT
I've been browsing real estate sites, and I wonder if any quantity of land is available for less than $20,000 in a non-brutally-regulated building area.  That is 4x my budget.  Land that costs more than that is too densely populated to appeal to me, nor have I an desire to buy up a large portion of the state....  Just little chunk.  Am I asking too much?

Grafton being a place to look, but holy craptasticness batman, the prices are outrageous!

You are asking a lot. 
One dirty little secret of Grafton is that, while we don't have zoning or building ordinances, we do have a planning board.  Their power is restricted to approving subdivision of properties.  They have a minimum lot size of 2 acres.
There are smaller lots here, but they are usually grandfathered in, like small waterfront lots (you don't even want to ASK what their price$ are).

We are trying to eliminate the board, but we need more porcs to move here to vote them out of existence.

But this is New England, not Arizona.  We don't have any land developers buying a chunk of desert and dividing it up into quarter-acre building lots.  We've got hills and streams and trees, so it's basically worth more to start with.

PorcAtHeart

Quote from: jerry on August 31, 2009, 10:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: PorcAtHeart on August 31, 2009, 09:19 PM NHFT

You are asking a lot. 
One dirty little secret of Grafton is that, while we don't have zoning or building ordinances, we do have a planning board.  Their power is restricted to approving subdivision of properties.  They have a minimum lot size of 2 acres.
There are smaller lots here, but they are usually grandfathered in, like small waterfront lots (you don't even want to ASK what their price$ are).

We are trying to eliminate the board, but we need more porcs to move here to vote them out of existence.

But this is New England, not Arizona.  We don't have any land developers buying a chunk of desert and dividing it up into quarter-acre building lots.  We've got hills and streams and trees, so it's basically worth more to start with.

I'm sure it is worth it, but simply unattainable.  I guess I'm just being priced-out by the elites.  No Freedom for me, I can't afford it.

jerry

Don't give up so easily.
Consider moving here and staying at one of the Porc Manors while you save some bucks and search out that ideal property.

PorcAtHeart

Quote from: jerry on August 31, 2009, 11:59 PM NHFT
Don't give up so easily.
Consider moving here and staying at one of the Porc Manors while you save some bucks and search out that ideal property.
If I could find rationally priced land, I have money saved already.

Even a quarter acre is just crazy excessive.

I am not kidding around or being rhetorical when I quote the man whom I impersonated for Halloween when I was 10: "I know not what course others may take, but as for me..."  I would rather die than go back to being a slave again.  I will not do it.  Period.  And it that means I must die, so be it.  There are worse things than death.  'Conventional Society' is at the top of that list.